PDA

View Full Version : Pin Striping Questions?

Slinkyredfoot
08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
I bought a new vehicle and have been experminting with adding some subtle pinstripes and like the results of what I am trying to do so far

Has anyone else done pinstriping on a vehicle? and if so any suggestions and tips as far as the best kind of tape...etc, etc would be appreciated..

I know Harold... worthless without pics my camera mysteriously disappered.

TX.X-30 fan
08-21-2008, 09:32 PM

Loose it in the slammer?? :D

André
08-21-2008, 09:35 PM
I bought a new vehicle and have been experminting with adding some subtle pinstripes and like the results of what I am trying to do so far

Has anyone else done pinstriping on a vehicle? and if so any suggestions and tips as far as the best kind of tape...etc, etc would be appreciated..

Harold did this all his life...:)

TMCNo1
08-21-2008, 09:46 PM

I have been doing signage and hand painted pinstripes for nearly 39 years.
3M makes about 90% of the tape/vinyl striping tape on the market today, most is for private labels. I would stick with the 3M tapes that can be purchased through most any auto paint supply stores.
The vinyl must be premium and also the adhesive that holds it on the paint. Cheap vinyl will come off the adhesive leaving the glue or won't even stick well and the cheap adhesive will dry/crack causing the vinyl to release and you've got a crusty mess that will require sanding and buffing or maybe a rubber removal wheel. Get quality stuff! Remeber the darker the finish of the vehicle, the quicker the vinyl and adhesive will deteriorate.
Painted stripes,

Slinkyredfoot
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Loose it in the slammer?? :D

You are one funny guy and thanks bhole....;)

Slinkyredfoot
08-21-2008, 10:19 PM
I have been doing signage and hand painted pinstripes for nearly 39 years.
3M makes about 90% of the tape/vinyl striping tape on the market today, most is for private labels. I would stick with the 3M tapes that can be purchased through most any auto paint supply stores.
The vinyl must be premium and also the adhesive that holds it on the paint. Cheap vinyl will come off the adhesive leaving the glue or won't even stick well and the cheap adhesive will dry/crack causing the vinyl to release and you've got a crusty mess that will require sanding and buffing or maybe a rubber removal wheel. Get quality stuff! Remeber the darker the finish of the vehicle, the quicker the vinyl and adhesive will deteriorate.
Painted stripes,

Thanks TMC, so are ya saying that if I drive down to your neck of the woods you all will paint the stripes for a cold six pack or ten??

So paint and don't tape?

TMCNo1
08-21-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks TMC, so are ya saying that if I drive down to your neck of the woods you all will paint the stripes for a cold six pack or ten??

So paint and don't tape?

Tape is OK if there is no one in your area to do painted stripes, but get the good stuff if you do tape.

Here's the deal,
New car dealers have tape applied for $28+- a car, and charge $130+-added to the MSRP, based on factory MSRP paint stripe prices, profit is $102+-.
New car dealers can order some vehicles from the factory with computer painted pinstripes for $110+- dealer cost and MSRP is $130+_, profit is $20+-.
Pinstripers like myself paint on the stripes for $120 a car and MSRP is $130+-, profit is $10+-.

Dealers, new and used use all the tape they can, cause 95% of the customers don't know or don't care about the difference till it's too late and the tape starts giving them problems and BTW, tape is not covered under the vehicle warranty, cause it's not a factory or factory authorized dealer installed option. Plus, when tapers apply the tape, at the ends and at the doors most cut the tape with a razor knife and cut thru the tape into the clearcoat, leaving a cut line if the tape is ever removed or starts coming off. This can also cause the clearcoat to peel under the right conditions.

One more thing, if you do tape, be sure to clean the area of tape application with Prepsol (oil, silicone, hand oils, grease, adhesive remover), then with denatured alcohol.

Slinkyredfoot
08-21-2008, 10:51 PM
So ten bucks profit for you if you paint? I will be down next week with ice cold a 12 pack for payment.

Tell me what you like to drink and get me directions please...See ya next week Harold

TMCNo1
08-21-2008, 11:04 PM
So ten bucks profit for you if you paint? I will be down next week with ice cold a 12 pack for payment.

Tell me what you like to drink and get me directions please...See ya next week Harold

NO, $10 profit for the dealer, not me, I charge $120+- for 1 color, straight line on a mid size car and add $25 for a second color, prices vary with size of vehicle. I can't charge the same price for a small 2 dr Hyundai as I would for a Cadillac Escalade XXL or a Dualie. Extensive custom, gingerbread, VonDutch type striping/graphics as pictured before can run as high as $500. I've spent as much as 11 hours striping a street rod and had to travel to the shop and do it in the paint booth @ over 100 degrees.