PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Prostar 190 Restoration since 6-2007

Jimmauburn
08-20-2008, 02:32 PM
A little over a year ago I started on a project rebuild. I found this 1989 Prostar with only 350 hours that had been neglected and abused. When the previous owner quit using it they parked it back behind a building and left it there (with the PLUG IN THE BOAT). For 4 years it sat and nothing happened with it until I came along and wanted to fix it back up and get it back to running again. This is what I started with..........
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/008.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/013.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/010.jpg
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/014.jpg

O2BESOHUGE
08-20-2008, 02:41 PM
How Is Re Restore Coming? Any Newer Pics? What Have You Gotten Done So Far?

Jay

damaged442
08-20-2008, 02:58 PM
That's the most unique birdbath I've ever seen...or koi pond. Seriously, previous owner need to be beaten. On the other hand, you've got a great project on your hands. A Magic Eraser and some 303 and you'll be back on the lake skiing in no time. Oh, wait, don't forget the StarBrite!! Let's see some progress pics!!

Jimmauburn
08-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Pulled all the interior out and cleaned up the carpets and let it air out for almost a month... The smell was astounding !!!!! Used a pressure washer and alot of elbow to get the interior and carpet cleaned.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0869.jpg
The engine is basically a new engine... it has 360 hours on it. I know the boat and the previous owner so I know that for many years it was taken care of. Just in the last years their kids grew up and moved away so there was no need for the boat that much.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0868.jpg
Had been working on getting the starter replaced and the alternator and of course all of the "major" parts to get the motor checked out to see if it would even turn over. After 6 months of really just tinkering with it I did get it to turn over. Had to get a new ignition switch and WOW it was really good to actually see the engine turning over. Had to replace most hoses and the blower and pulled as many parts to get cleaned as I could. I have replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and gotten as much of the rusty items gone as I could find. I have owned 4 other Mastercraft boats (1985 S&S, 2 1988 190's, and a 1990) and actually going through this rebuild has made me really appreciate this boat above and beyond the others for sure. I guess you can say this is by far my favorite boat.

MORE TO COME ........

wsrobert
08-20-2008, 04:00 PM
I can't believe the plug was left in....Other than the rust on the engine, I would have expected much worse. The carpet and upholstery really don't look that bad. Does she turn over? I'm really curious about that engine.

Datdude
08-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Keep us posted on the progress!

ttu
08-20-2008, 04:23 PM
hope we can see some "cleaned up" pics soon. the condition of that boat in the pics above is just depressing.:cry:

Jimmauburn
08-20-2008, 04:27 PM
Yes it is VERY DEPRESSING !!!!! I am going through all of the pictures from the past year and pulling them now.

Bruce Carr
08-20-2008, 04:51 PM
You have to believe that the trans is full of water. There is an air vent on top of the trans case which was fully submerged for apparantly a long time.

Jimmauburn
08-20-2008, 05:10 PM
Actually there wasn't water in the trans ?? I have already gone through the whole boat at this point and the boat is running. I put it in the water this past weekend to check it out and it runs like a new boat. I have had to do alot of fixing and repairing and rebuilding and replacing but it runs just fine. When I got it all put back together about the only problem I had was adjusting the carberator and the smell of the carbon that had built up on the pistons.... ran it for almost 9 hours and there was ALOT of smoke at first and I have changed the oil 6 times to make sure there was no junk in the oil but so good so far. Have pulled several skiers also and no ill effects on the engine or the trans so far !!!

alletric
08-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Pulled all the interior out and cleaned up the carpets and let it air out for almost a month... The smell was astounding !!!!! Used a pressure washer and alot of elbow to get the interior and carpet cleaned.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0869.jpg
The engine is basically a new engine... it has 360 hours on it. I know the boat and the previous owner so I know that for many years it was taken care of. Just in the last years their kids grew up and moved away so there was no need for the boat that much.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0868.jpg
Had been working on getting the starter replaced and the alternator and of course all of the "major" parts to get the motor checked out to see if it would even turn over. After 6 months of really just tinkering with it I did get it to turn over. Had to get a new ignition switch and WOW it was really good to actually see the engine turning over. Had to replace most hoses and the blower and pulled as many parts to get cleaned as I could. I have replaced plugs, cap, rotor, wires, and gotten as much of the rusty items gone as I could find. I have owned 4 other Mastercraft boats (1985 S&S, 2 1988 190's, and a 1990) and actually going through this rebuild has made me really appreciate this boat above and beyond the others for sure. I guess you can say this is by far my favorite boat.

MORE TO COME ........

Maybe the picture does not show it that good but how on earth does that dash look that good after being out it the weather that long. Specifically the trim bezel around the switches?

Jimmauburn
08-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Well the bezels were both in decent shape other than some slight cracking and all of the switches were good except for the blower switch and the bilge switch, those both had to be replaced. Believe it or not the carpet was salvagable..... alot of clorox bleach (diluted) and some jomax to kill the mold and mildew worked wonders. I will have more pics soon of the interior and the boat in the water finally.

kjohnson
08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
It is a shame that someone would let a great boat get in that condition. They could have sold it for a decent price prior to storing it out back.

TMCNo1
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Unbelievable, it's a miracle it cranked, much less ran. Please continue to bring it back from the dead!

coz
08-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Actually there wasn't water in the trans ?? I have already gone through the whole boat at this point and the boat is running. I put it in the water this past weekend to check it out and it runs like a new boat. I have had to do alot of fixing and repairing and rebuilding and replacing but it runs just fine. When I got it all put back together about the only problem I had was adjusting the carberator and the smell of the carbon that had built up on the pistons.... ran it for almost 9 hours and there was ALOT of smoke at first and I have changed the oil 6 times to make sure there was no junk in the oil but so good so far. Have pulled several skiers also and no ill effects on the engine or the trans so far !!!

A great sign of the durability of MC :headbang: you can neglect them for years and still run the course after it's been submerged all that time. Can't wait to see the finished product :D

Jimmauburn
08-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Getting ready to start on the outside of the boat and see if I can get that Fiberglass to look like GLASS again.... It is really Oxidized pretty badly.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0871.jpg
I am going to use a orbital buffer, does anyone have any insight to whether a high speed buffer would work better or not ?? Very Chalky on the outside all over the boat and I have been able to get all of the blackish garbage off to get to the white oxidized haze on the boat....
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0872.jpg
The TEAK is in really good shape, it was just really bleached out almost to a white when I got the boat. I have sanded it and used a bottle of oil just to get the moisture back in to the wood but now after this summer I am ready to really get to work on the platform and get it back to its new condition.
http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o46/jimmauburn/100_0873.jpg
This last pic is the first picture taken of the red on the boat after I buffed and scrubbed and polished to see if there was any hope for the boat to get back to an actual red color. Okay now I am ready to really get to work on the outside of the boat so any of you guys have any ideas gimme a shout and let me know some secrets !!!!!! HA HA

Jimmauburn
08-21-2008, 06:24 PM
As you can see these pictures were taken back in May of this year. I have made more progress but I will post new pictures hopefully Monday. I will take some new ones this weekend. Have a great weekend ALL !!!!!!

Willski
08-21-2008, 07:07 PM
Good job just getting it to that point. Are you going to get the engine painted? I can't believe someone let it get to that point. Priorities elsewhere I suppose.

brucemac
08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
nice work, keep at it!!!

Fletchx7
08-21-2008, 09:10 PM
Just curious, how are the bunks on the trailer? How is the trailer from an operational standpoint? I noticed the starboard tire was flat in one of the first picks.

Footin
08-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Looking forward to seeing the updated pictures.

Jimmauburn
08-22-2008, 10:52 AM
The trailer also needs alot of work... yes both tires were flat and the prop protector on the back of the trailer was sitting on the ground. The bunks on the trailer are going to have to be recovered and I am going to have to work on the wiring on the trailer also. The tail light/turn signals work just fine but those are the only lights that are working at this time. There is one small tear on one of the bunks so I will be recovering them very soon and working on the lights. I have also had to replace the Boat winch and strap since it was rusted and in a non-working condition. Will also provide pictures of the trailer to the work done.

cbryan70
08-22-2008, 03:33 PM
im thinking high speed would work alot better. I would recommend taking all the decals off and going with a high speed buffer and some heavy duty compound.....if that doesnt work....get to wet sanding. The color should come back with wet sanding and if your lucky with the heavy duty compound.

Hunterb
08-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Hi there,

Having gone through a similar rebuild a few years ago on a PS 190 I would recommend you go straight to wet sanding. It's time consuming but is likely the only thing that will bring the glass back to a nice shine. You can start with 600 grit, or maybe 1000 if you don't want to take off too much. Work up to 1500 or even 2000. You will get great results.

Good luck with the boat. It's great to see one being brought back to life.

Bruce

loeweb
08-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I never thought I would get a sick feeling in my stomach just by looking at a boat, but this one did that to me. Good to see someone cares and is piecing it back together. Looking good and keep the pics rolling

Kevin 89MC
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
Wow! That boat was in tough shape. Good to see it getting restored. Keep us posted on the progress. Looks good so far!

drbesvold1
09-11-2008, 07:25 PM
wow you got your hands full but once u get it done i bet it will look great , thanks for saving that mastercraft they should never be abused like that

absolutezero
08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
How did this thread die? What's happening with the boat now? It should look like brand new almost three years later :)