PDA

View Full Version : Morse Shift Lockout

pwskicat
08-20-2008, 03:08 PM
I have an '89 TriStar 190 with a Morse shift control. The lever has the collar under the ball on top. Does this automatically mean this controller has shift lockout? Right now, the lever moves in either direction without having to pull up on the collar. Is my shifter working right? If not, how should it work, and how do I fix it?

Thanx for yr help, PW

flipper
08-20-2008, 03:20 PM
You should have to pull up on that collar to get in out of neutral. Something is either stuck, or broken in there. I'd fix that ASAP.

east tx skier
08-20-2008, 03:23 PM
I have an '89 TriStar 190 with a Morse shift control. The lever has the collar under the ball on top. Does this automatically mean this controller has shift lockout? Right now, the lever moves in either direction without having to pull up on the collar. Is my shifter working right? If not, how should it work, and how do I fix it?

Thanx for yr help, PW

I've seen many older boats where the shift lock was basically worn out. Basically, just be very cautious about it until you are able to get it fixed.

pwskicat
08-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Thanx for yr replies. As for "getting it fixed," I'd prefer to fix it myself. If anybody knows where I can get a "how to" on this, pls chime right in.

PW

Skipper
08-27-2008, 01:28 PM
...The lever has the collar under the ball on top... If not, how should it work, and how do I fix it?...

Depends on where the disconnect is located. If you have a collar under the shift knob and the neutral button is centered at the base of the shift lever, then by pulling upward on that collar allows you to move the shift lever forward/backward. That collar is attached to a lever that is embedded in the in the back of the shift lever. Anyplace along that lever, (usually plastic), there could be a break. If that is the case, you need to remove the shift lever, remove the insert and replace/repair the insert and put it back together.

Now, if the shift lever collar works fine and your problem is that the boat wont go into neutral using the button on the shifter...when you pull that button out you should be able to work the throttle forward to rev the engine without the transmission shifting into gear. If by pulling that button out and moving the shift lever the transmission still shifts into gear then you need to remove the entire shift assembly. That button is connected to a small block. That block is part of a system that releases the throttle cable but prevents the shift cable from moving when you move the shift lever. Inspect for damage and function. Repair/replace the components that failed. Replace the shift assembly.

woodskier
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I have an 84 S&S with the Morse MV-2 control, you may have the MV-3. Here is a link to the manuals. Look under dual control. Morese is now owned bt Teleflex Marine
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/library.cgi?site=home&type=us&library=1017

Good luck