PDA

View Full Version : Bilge Pump Improvement?

88 PS190
08-20-2008, 12:25 PM
Been putzing around with the bilge pump this summer, need to purchase a new pump, and float switch.

But the issue. I want as dry a bilge as possible, and when these pumps are switched on there needs to be enough water to prime the pump or it just sits there and makes foam.

What pumps are there that can prime to push as much of that water up out of the bilge as possible?

I think I will probably end up having two pumps, a larger one with an automatic float switch on the 3/4" line and wired to the autopump switch.

And then a smaller pump in the deepest part of the hull wired to the manual switch with a smaller diameter hose and a check valve. The idea being that if there is a pipe burst or a hose comes off and the water is coming up the large pump on the float switch will start up to keep the boat up for longer. The smaller pump would not have high flow, but would dry out the bilge effectively.

This is sort of the inverse of the way pumps would be run on a large boat (small one on float to dry bilge) Large one mounted on manual switch - concept being the large boat is in the water 24/7 if there is a problem like a hose leaking a big pump will just drain the battery fast. The small one should show you there is a problem by pumping at lower current, giving the owner time to start the engine and turn on the big pump maybe even an engine driven pump.

Since out boat is kept on a lift my ideals are backwards. But still what bilge pumps have you used that can start moving even in very shallow water?

Skipper
08-20-2008, 12:38 PM
Perhaps a sponge? :D

I never get enough water in the bilge for the pump to prime.

TMCNo1
08-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Perhaps a sponge? :D

I never get enough water in the bilge for the pump to prime.

Same here, pump probably hasn't run a total of 4 minutes in 19 years!

ttu
08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Same here, pump probably hasn't run a total of 4 minutes in 19 years!

harold, have you even used your boat more than 10 minutes in 19 years:uglyhamme

plus it's hard to get much water in the hull if it's in the garage all the time:D

Skipper
08-21-2008, 02:09 PM
But the issue. I want as dry a bilge as possible, and when these pumps are switched on there needs to be enough water to prime the pump or it just sits there and makes foam.

Back to your origional problem. If you need to get water out of the bilge when the pump wont get it, you can use one of those fluid extractors like what people use for chainging oil. I use mine to get any stray water out of the built in ice chest in the floor because it doesn't all drain out. But of course you won't carry it on your boat, just use it back at the lift to dry out the bilge.