PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Mastercraft Tristar 190 interior

mastercrafttristar190
08-20-2008, 05:03 AM
I just bought a 1988 mastercraft tristar 190 and the interior is in really bad shape does any one know were i could get the front seats and the skins ?

Thanks

TMCNo1
08-20-2008, 07:09 AM
Contact this guy, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=176680&postcount=1

mastercrafttristar190
08-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Tanks very much TMCNo1!!!

manley59
08-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Did you get new skins for your "88? Did you use Jim in Florida to do the work?

Thanks,
Manley59

mastercrafttristar190
08-26-2008, 02:51 AM
nope!! jim is a little far away cuz i live all the way in seattle washington!!

TMCNo1
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
Did you get new skins for your "88? Did you use Jim in Florida to do the work?

Thanks,
Manley59

Jim is in Maryville, Tennessee!

mastercrafttristar190
08-28-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm relly trying to save money and i want to do as much as i could myself lol

ProTour X9
08-28-2008, 09:54 PM
Your local upholstery shop should make a near perfect match, make sure they can do boats.

mastercrafttristar190
08-29-2008, 02:17 AM
Here is what my interior looks like!!

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20Tristar%20190/CIMG8626.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20Tristar%20190/CIMG8627.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20Tristar%20190/CIMG8641.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20Tristar%20190/CIMG8642.jpg

GuitsBoy
08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
Ouch, seen better days, huh. Itll only make it that much sweeter when you finally get it all done.

mastercrafttristar190
08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
yep lol i bought i from a guy who was the original owner and care for it really well untill like 4 years ago he got a divorce he just put the boat in the water and didnt do anything so there are some thing that need fixing but other than that its awesome

pilot02
01-24-2009, 09:09 AM
OUCH!
I did my own. There are pics on this site somewhere, search for pilot02 (my username) and Tristar 190 Restoration.
I haven't been on here since Sept and the site has totally changed so I'm searching for stuff myself.

mastercrafttristar190
01-26-2009, 03:57 PM
So I go a chance to redo the carpets and I am still working on everything else.

Before

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/IMG_2503.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/IMG_2509.jpg

After

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/CIMG8712-Copy.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/CIMG8718.jpg

flipper
01-26-2009, 04:04 PM
Good job, that came out nice

TRISTARX
01-29-2009, 09:20 PM
I have a 1988 22footer I need to recarpet as well. My interior looks similiar. There seem to be some soft spots by the back bench, and the by the hole by the ski pole and also in the walkway to the front. I had to get to the gas tank once and thought these floors were wood correct? It looks like those are fiberglass? How long did this take you to do and cost estimate?

wheelerd
01-29-2009, 10:07 PM
Looks good so far!

I'm planning to replace the carpet on my 91 TriStar. I'm curious how you got the very front floor panel out -- the one in the walkthrough. I can't slide mine back because the filler and vent necks in the fuel tank protrude above floor level. I would slide the tank back but the two front hold-down brackets are under this front floor section. Catch 22!

Muttley
01-30-2009, 11:20 AM
I've always had a soft spot for the Tristar. I just about bought one instead of the PS205. I'm glad to see you're giving her a second life.

I can't help you with the skins. I did the upholstery from scratch in my last boat and it wasn't bad (took a class and learned to use a sewing machine) but I think the Tristar would be pretty complicated.

wheelerd
02-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Hey TRISTARX

My floor is all fiberglass. I imagine yours is also. As far as I know, no wood was used in the floors (specifically the stringers) since the mid 80s. If you have some flex in your floor one of the removable centre panels may have a crack and may just need some reglassing underneath.

You were asking about carpet cost....
I've just ordered 18 feet of the 8.5 foot wide Daystar Lancer 20 oz. carpet from Overtons. They sent me a sample card with all the colors on it and the Light Grey was an exact match to my current carpet. I sketched out all my pieces to scale on graph paper to make sure I ordered the correct amount.

Is your boat an open bow? If so, do you have the square center floor piece that sits right in the walkthrough area? As you can see in my post above I'm stumped as to how to get this piece out. Judging from the photos above mastercrafttristar 190 was able to somehow replace his carpet there.

sberard5
02-02-2009, 09:23 PM
I have the center sections of floor out of my 1989 Tristar right now and I can confirm that there is wood that is fiberglassed on the bottom of the removable floor sections. Mine was completely rotted and was very springy.

Has anyone had any luck finding information on how to remove the front section of floor? I would like to replace the carpet and need help.

wheelerd
02-02-2009, 11:29 PM
Hmmm.
I have my center sections out too and just took another look. Mine have fiberglass on all sides of each panel but maybe there is a wooden core in the thicker parts. Can you actually see the wood on yours?
As for getting out that front section . . . when you figure it out let me know!!! Maybe I'll have to PM mastercrafttristar 190 dude since he doesn't seem to be following this thread anymore.

TRISTARX
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I am unsure at this time what the panels are made of. I haven't had them out for 4-5 years. I am curious to what I have to do if I want to replace some of the floor boards. If it would be as easy as taking the old ones out and cutting new one from the old template. I know there was another thread on here awhile back where a guy redid the floors but I can't seem to find it. When I tackle this job this spring I will try and help but I now that doesn't help you now.

sberard5
02-17-2009, 09:09 AM
The wood isnt showing when you remove the panel and flip it over. The wood is fiberglassed into the bottom of the panels and rots over time causing the floor to get soft and springy. I cut around the edges and was able to chisel out all of the wood and replaced with cdx plywood (that's what was in there) and plan on re-fiberglassing when it warms up outside. Still looking for some instructions on how to remove the front panel. Can anyone help?

JohnE
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
The wood isnt showing when you remove the panel and flip it over. The wood is fiberglassed into the bottom of the panels and rots over time causing the floor to get soft and springy. I cut around the edges and was able to chisel out all of the wood and replaced with cdx plywood (that's what was in there) and plan on re-fiberglassing when it warms up outside. Still looking for some instructions on how to remove the front panel. Can anyone help?

Which front panel?

wheelerd
02-18-2009, 11:05 PM
If you look back at the pics in Post #13 it's the square floor piece that is in the walkthrough.

Just got my carpet from Overtons the other day and my upholstery is all being done as we speak, so I can't wait for it to warm up here and get at 'er. The floor panels that I do have out all seem solid so I won't mess with them.

mastercrafttristar190
02-19-2009, 01:57 AM
I have a 1988 22footer I need to recarpet as well. My interior looks similiar. There seem to be some soft spots by the back bench, and the by the hole by the ski pole and also in the walkway to the front. I had to get to the gas tank once and thought these floors were wood correct? It looks like those are fiberglass? How long did this take you to do and cost estimate?

It took me one day but there was 3 of us and the carpet was around 100 bucks if i recall correctly.

My floor is all fiberglass. I imagine yours is also. As far as I know, no wood was used in the floors (specifically the stringers) since the mid 80s. If you have some flex in your floor one of the removable centre panels may have a crack and may just need some reglassing underneath.

You were asking about carpet cost....
I've just ordered 18 feet of the 8.5 foot wide Daystar Lancer 20 oz. carpet from Overtons. They sent me a sample card with all the colors on it and the Light Grey was an exact match to my current carpet. I sketched out all my pieces to scale on graph paper to make sure I ordered the correct amount.

Is your boat an open bow? If so, do you have the square center floor piece that sits right in the walkthrough area? As you can see in my post above I'm stumped as to how to get this piece out. Judging from the photos above mastercrafttristar 190 was able to somehow replace his carpet there.[/QUOTE]

I have an open bow and to get that peice out i jacked the left dash peice up and two of us were pulling it. I took some effort to get it but we did. These are the pictures that i could find of that section.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/IMG_2500.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/IMG_2503.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/IMG_2506.jpg
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u91/pavelt23/mastercraft%20restoration/IMG_2509.jpg

Good job, that came out nice

Thanks

wheelerd
02-19-2009, 03:08 AM
Hey there mastercrafttristar190! Thanks for posting. I tried PMing you awhile ago but I guess you have that feature turned off.

Since I know now how you got that front floor piece out it will make my (and TRISTARXs) job simpler. Where did you actually place the jack under the dash? I can sort of judge from the pic that it was pretty close to the center but can you recall where the contact point was under the dash? How many inches did you lift it? You must have held your breath waiting for a "snap" of fiberglass!

mastercrafttristar190
02-20-2009, 01:32 PM
To tell you the truth I really dont remember where I placed the jack. All I remember is it was on some strong piece. As for the lifting I think it was around 1-2 inches that I raised it but just keep lifting it a little bit and pull it. Every time you pull it it should move out of it place. I took some effort to get it out of there though.

wheelerd
02-22-2009, 11:29 PM
That's helpful. Thanks.
I'm assuming then that when you lifted the floor section you slid it sideways to port and then back to clear the fuel tank filler neck? At least that's the way my tank is. It's the reason I can't just slide the floor section straight back.

wheelerd
03-15-2009, 03:15 AM
I got my front floor panel out today! I tried what mastercrafttristar 190 suggested. It just about worked but the floor panel kept binding against the starboard dash floor support (ie. the side of the walkthrough where it attaches to the floor.) So, I jacked that side up a bit also. With the extra clearance I was able to lift up the left side of the floor panel, slide it a couple of inches to port and then back towards the stern to clear the fuel tank filler and vent necks.

Now, once it really warms up here I can rip out the rest of the carpet and get the new stuff in.

PacMan89
03-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Are tristars supposed to have a closed cooling system and use collant?

wheelerd
03-15-2009, 08:11 PM
According to the manual, closed cooling was an option.
Just for the record, the 1987-91 TriStar manual lists the following options:
- Power Slot Package
- Fresh Water Cooling System
- Boat Cover
- Trick Release
- Heater
- Tonneau Cover
- Sun Top

"Fresh Water Cooling System" is a confusing term isn't it? At first it sounds as though it would be the same as "raw water." The manual describes it:
-The fresh water cooling system is self-contained and consists of a water to water heat exchanger, reservoir and interconnecting hoses. Water supplied by the raw water system removes heat from engine coolant in the heat exchanger. The engine water pump circulates coolant throughout the system."

I have a whole file of TriStar pics but only one or two have FWC as I recall.

JohnE
03-15-2009, 09:20 PM
Are tristars supposed to have a closed cooling system and use collant?

I don't think so. Not on my 88 anyway.

pkskier
03-17-2009, 11:49 AM
They are not supposed to have a closed cooling system, but it was an option.

wheelerd
03-18-2009, 01:38 AM
Here are two pics of a closed cooling system from an 88 TriStar from Tucson that was on Ebay last fall.

nostar 190
04-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Contact this guy, http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=176680&postcount=1
Hi, can anyone vouch for "Jim the man" ? I have some stitching that needs to be redone & would like to have him do the work if he is that good & reliable.

sub_squoch
10-20-2012, 07:41 PM
I hope you are all still out these cause I have questions! I have a 1988 Tristar 190. When I bought it there was a custom built, permanent sundeck with a 750 fat sac plumbed in under it. I love the sundeck but could really use the seat space. I would like to make a convertible sundeck and still have the sac plumbed in under it. I have figured out a way to do this but it will end up making a pretty high back seat when it's in the seat position. It would be ideal if I could bury the sac in the floor but the boat has an elevated floor in the back where the seat sits that makes things a PITA (as a few of you have mentioned!). Does anybody know what is under that floor section? Can I cut it out and make the floor level?

wheelerd
10-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Some of us all still here -- we have no life! lol
You might want to start a new thread on this as it might get more attention.
Anyway, to answer you question, I'm not sure why the floor was raised at the stern. Perhaps to create clearance for the tiller? Or maybe something to do with the integral swim platform. I don't know. In any case I'd be wary of cutting it out and leveling it as it might seriously affect the structural integrity of the hull.

staceyr
10-21-2012, 10:13 AM
I am looking for drivers seat to go in my 93 prostar, some of the members found this for me just wrong year. Looks like it would work for you.

http://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skii...c&postid=16663

lakeoz tristar
12-21-2012, 03:21 AM
I am not sure of anyone is still out there that has replaced their carpets..But I am in process..I did get the walk through board out and there was wood in that section and I had to removed it because it was all spongy... Got that part figured out.>Bit just in front of that section there is a V section that is at the very front of the boat that sits under the front seats.. How Did you get the carpet under that section???? I was thinking that if the replacement carpet I get matches the color pretty close I can just do that little section and leave all the carpet under the bow seats that is not visible, but I am not sure what to do and how to do it? As you can see from my pics its the only carpet left in the front of the boat that I am scratching my head on how to replace it? And the spongy floor with rotted wood.

wheelerd
12-21-2012, 11:28 AM
It's been five years since I did my TriStar carpet, but as I recall I cut out the front triangle bit from inside the underseat storage compartments where the seam would be hidden. I was able to slide the new piece under the seat base. I may have used the jacks under the dash to help gain a bit of clearance.

lakeoz tristar
12-22-2012, 02:41 AM
Thanks for the info.. That is what I kinda thought I would have to do..Always Good to hear a second opinion...I didn't think it would matter if I did all the way up because they are under the seat cushions and no one will see them..