PDA

View Full Version : Need help... Serious sunburn issues

jimmer2880
08-18-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm an idiot. Just wanted to put that out there.

In Hawaii on Business. On Saturday, I decide to go surfing. Put sunblock on everything EXCEPT for my back (I forgot, it wasn't a consious decision). 3 hours later (from 10-1), I have the absolute worse sunburn of my life.

I've been managing until 30 minutes ago. Now, I have an INSANE amount of itching on my still red back that is driving me absolutely bonkers. I have tried the Lidocane stuff, it's not even putting a dent in the itch.

Now what? PLEASE HELP... I'M GOING MAD AND NEED TO BE AT WORK TOMORROW.

thanks - jimmer :o

east tx skier
08-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Many will say aloe. And I usually go for that as it's the natural solution. However, the last time I had a bad one (about four years ago), all that was available was Noxema. I'll tell ya, it worked well.

jimmer2880
08-18-2008, 11:29 PM
The sunburn cream I also tried was aloe mixed with the lidocane.

Right now, I'm sitting here, with a frozen towel on my back... hoping for a numbing effect. No such luck yet.

I'll try some noxema if I can figure out how to put it on (i'm alone). I've been laying on my back on the floor, in my undies, twitching around like a crack-head. Not a pretty site.

thanks - jimmer

jimmer2880
08-18-2008, 11:30 PM
I forgot to say, that I popped 50mg of Benedryl 30 mins ago also. I an praying that it will do SOMETHING.....

dcjm6602
08-18-2008, 11:31 PM
been there, only thing that would help was a continuous cold shower. That was a long night. My bro had the same thing but had an anxiety attack and went to the er, got a benadryl shot and was good to go. Good luck.

jimmer2880
08-18-2008, 11:35 PM
been there, only thing that would help was a continuous cold shower. That was a long night. My bro had the same thing but had an anxiety attack and went to the er, got a benadryl shot and was good to go. Good luck.

Glad to hear the benedryl route was the right direction....

Tried the cold shower thing... maybe I'll get back in. THANKS!

endl
08-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Dude I was going to say use the lidocan aloe and put it in the Fridge. But no one to put it on your back. Hell I am impressed you got on here and admitted this...... better call the conciere and have them send someone up to rub it on your back.

dummy
08-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Dude ...... better call the conciere and have them send someone up to rub it on your back.

Depending on what part of Hawaii you're in they'll rub it on more than your back.

TMCNo1
08-19-2008, 08:47 AM
better call the conciere and have them send someone up to rub it on your back.

Could be for a nominal charge, they'll also include a Happy Ending! That'll get your mind of your sunburn!:rolleyes::D

shepherd
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM
I have nothing helpful to offer...

But I hope you caught some good waves, Big Kahuna! :)

atlfootr
08-19-2008, 09:08 AM
I forgot to say,

wakeX2wake
08-19-2008, 09:12 AM
one thing i found that ha been awesome... i know its gonna sounds girly but i had a g/f give me some of hers and i had her get me a thing of it... Clinique After-Sun Lotion... takes the sting out prevents itching and peeling... i use it religiously

coz
08-19-2008, 09:18 AM
It's a little sunburn :rolleyes: next time wear a rash guard :banana:

Enough about the burn how about the waves? any good? any pics? where'd ya go?

coz
08-19-2008, 09:23 AM
i know its gonna sounds girly but i had a g/f give me some of hers and i had her get me a thing of it... Clinique After-Sun Lotion...

Uh huh! :confused: and now you're a faithful user of the Clinique system of skin care? :confused: for that soft, smooth, younger look with Clinique :headbang:

Jimmauburn
08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Best thing I have found for a really bad sunburn is something I was told years ago. Pour some vinegar in a really hot bath (as hot as you can stand) and the vinegar will pull the "heat" out of the sunburn. That is one of those long ago remedies but I have found it actually works !! Good Luck !!

trickskier
08-19-2008, 09:30 AM
If it's that bad I would consider going to a Walk-In Clinic.

cbryan70
08-19-2008, 09:33 AM
i was going to say the hottest shower you can stand....thats what seems to work for me when i get a real bad burn, it may hurt like hell but it will releif you for a bit. good luck

wakeX2wake
08-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Uh huh! :confused: and now you're a faithful user of the Clinique system of skin care? :confused: for that soft, smooth, younger look with Clinique :headbang:

and it makes me feel pretty

coz
08-19-2008, 09:42 AM
and it makes me feel pretty

You with your Clinique and me and my fishnets & boots :D we're a damn good looking crew :banana:

BTW: go pure aloe or pure aloe lotion on that burn and you'll be good :D

chudson
08-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Vinegar, as a kid Mom always put vinegar on us when we'd get burned at the lake. It took away the sting and heat even though it smelled like heck. Goodluck !!!

jaysus
08-19-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds like sun poisoning. That is the worst! Had it happen in the Bahama's once and thought I was going to hit the funny farm due to the itch. Hit a doctor/clinic asap.

Good luck.

flipper
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
Try some of these????

http://www.susangaer.com/studentprojects/sunburn.htm

wakeX2wake
08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
You with your Clinique and me and my fishnets & boots :D we're a damn good looking crew :banana:

that's just how MC owners roll... no shame in this game...

seiously...

first: i'd "acquire" about a hand full of lorocets and 2 1 liter bottles of jim beam burbon and a 2 liter coke

second: mix one liter of the whiskey w/ the 2 liters of coke

third: take a lorocet with about a 1/4 of the other liter of whiskey and pour the other 3/4 of the liter on the sunburned area

fourth: take another lorocet each time you remotely feel pain for the next couple of hours and drink w/ the whiskey and coke mixture

you should feel fine in the morning:D

bigmac
08-19-2008, 10:21 AM
If it's bothering you that much, see a doctor. They won't be able to make it heal any faster, but might be able to make you feel better in the meantime. In extreme cases of painful sunburn, a little burst of steroids can go a long way toward easing the discomfort if local measures like applying salad dressing aren't doing the trick.

coz
08-19-2008, 10:31 AM
that's just how MC owners roll... no shame in this game...

seiously...

first: i'd "acquire" about a hand full of lorocets and 2 1 liter bottles of jim beam burbon and a 2 liter coke

second: mix one liter of the whiskey w/ the 2 liters of coke

third: take a lorocet with about a 1/4 of the other liter of whiskey and pour the other 3/4 of the liter on the sunburned area

fourth: take another lorocet each time you remotely feel pain for the next couple of hours and drink w/ the whiskey and coke mixture

you should feel fine in the morning

Nice numbing system :D

For us non drinking pill popping members i'm a supporter of medical marijuana use and moses research :banana:

http://www.thememyphone.com/albums/userpics/10020/medical-marijuana-iphone.jpg
Got Pain? Get Pot! :headbang:

Muttley
08-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Aveeno

With oatmeal.

jpattigr
08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Plain Yogurt works awesome to take the sting out!!

Learned this trick from a guy from India and it works better then aloe or anything we have tried!

TMCNo1
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Looks like we've turned this guy into a blistered, stoned and drunk, well dressed crossdressing surfer all lotioned up, fresh from a vinegar douche on his way to the Breakfast Buffet!:uglyhamme:eek3::rolleyes:

:woohoo:Ya'll done good!

endl
08-19-2008, 11:13 AM
Plain Yogurt works awesome to take the sting out!!

Learned this trick from a guy from India and it works better then aloe or anything we have tried!
A guy from India put Yogurt on your sunburn?:eek:

Ric
08-19-2008, 11:15 AM
one thing i found that ha been awesome... i know its gonna sounds girly but i had a g/f give me some of hers and i had her get me a thing of it... Clinique After-Sun Lotion... takes the sting out prevents itching and peeling... i use it religiously
awwwwwwwwww

TMCNo1
08-19-2008, 11:15 AM

Don't ya just love "Outsourcing"!:rolleyes::D

coz
08-19-2008, 11:19 AM
Looks like we've turned this guy into a blistered, stoned and drunk, well dressed crossdressing surfer all lotioned up, fresh from a vinegar douche on his way to the Breakfast Buffet!

Hey this is TT :headbang: did you expect anything less :friday:

flipper
08-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Looks like we've turned this guy into a blistered, stoned and drunk, well dressed crossdressing surfer all lotioned up, fresh from a vinegar douche on his way to the Breakfast Buffet!:uglyhamme:eek3::rolleyes:

But the women love the smell of a fresh summer breeze!!!

wakeX2wake
08-19-2008, 11:25 AM
awwwwwwwwww

come on man... i'm not the one who's MARRIED... ehhhh that word makes me cringe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... that's great Harold... really bringing the situation home there... (seriously the guy across the hall asked me what was so funny... i didn't bother explaining... just said an e-mail)

TMCNo1
08-19-2008, 11:37 AM
come on man... i'm not the one who's MARRIED... ehhhh that word makes me cringe

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... that's great Harold... really bringing the situation home there... (seriously the guy across the hall asked me what was so funny... i didn't bother explaining... just said an e-mail)

Thanks, I have my moments!:rolleyes::D

suedv
08-19-2008, 11:58 AM
I feel bad for the sunburn pain. Anyhow, Harold way to go. You got me laughing on that one.

coz
08-19-2008, 11:59 AM

I think it was part of the "u git evyting fo fity buck" fee :rolleyes:

chudson
08-19-2008, 02:08 PM
I can't tell you the joy I have in knowining that I was able to educate you all in knowing that there is a purpose for vinegar other than salad dressing and doucheing (sniff sniff) excuse me I had to wipe a little tear from my eye!!! :D

Willski
08-19-2008, 02:39 PM
Tomato soup!! Oh, maybe that is for skunk smell. You're going to smell like a dang salad bar after this is all over!

X2M
08-19-2008, 05:55 PM
Try putting a bottle of Aloe in the fridge until it gets really cold and put it on your back, then leave your shirt off and lay on your tummy for awhile. Good luck. :)

atlfootr
08-19-2008, 10:43 PM
( I ) we want to see that sunburn of yours... stand w/ back in front of mirror and take picture of back!
And REMEMBER !!!

JohnnyB
08-20-2008, 01:13 AM

You believed him when he told you it was plain yogurt :eek:

Gotta agree that you need pics...when I get home I'll dig up the ones of me after I fell asleep on a tube floating in a lazy river at a waterpark in Texas for an entire afternoon...worst sunburn of my life. Did the vinegar treatment...took a lot of grief for smelling like a douche but it was worth the relief.

cdstukey
08-20-2008, 01:25 AM
Probably a little late but make a big bowl of iced tea, soak a towel in it and put it on your back. It works pretty well. The vinegar works really well also.

jimmer2880
08-20-2008, 02:18 AM
I will try to get a pic. Thank you everyone. It sure was good for a couple laughs anyway. I made it through the night by taking 3 benedryl, 4 motrin, swapping out 1 of 3 different towels that were made wet, then stored in the freezer. I went for a swim in the ocean, that helped, until I got out. All the meds didn't do much, but the benedryl did knock me out.

In the morning, I got some different aloe cream, that had different ingredients. It seemed to help some, but most of the itching was gone (I've been on benedryl all day just in case)

You guys always crack me up. Thank you :)

jimmer2880
08-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Forgot to answer the where.... I'm staying in Honolulu, at the Hilton, Hawiian Village. It's a nice place. Been here for 7 days :D, only 3 more to go :(.

Here's the burn. Sorry for the bad pic, with my camera phone, and for the ugly fat guy in the picture. My shoulders didn't get it as bad as my lower back.

TMCNo1
08-20-2008, 06:15 AM
Ouch!!!!!!!

Now Rob should be happy, seeing a picture of a half naked man in a bathroom taking pictures of himself.
I'm tellin' ya Rob, ya gotta get off that crack, before it kills ya!

JohnnyB
08-20-2008, 11:22 AM
Forgot to answer the where.... I'm staying in Honolulu, at the Hilton, Hawiian Village. It's a nice place. Been here for 7 days :D, only 3 more to go :(.

Here's the burn. Sorry for the bad pic, with my camera phone, and for the ugly fat guy in the picture. My shoulders didn't get it as bad as my lower back.

Ouch!!:eek:

Hopefully its not taking away too much from your stay in Hawaii. My wife and I stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village for a week 3 years ago in fall.....lots to see and do on the island!!

Don't work too hard....sounds like you're balancing work and play well.:D

atlfootr
08-20-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Jimmer for filling my request, you weren't kidd'n about that burn !!
Looks almost like a 2nd degree burn ... If I were you,
I'd start look'n for a really HOT FEMALE LIFEGUARD to administer sun first aid :D

Maybe even someone like this ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NvZlgvEzHM&feature=related

ski_king
08-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Sorry to hear of the burn Jim.

If I remember right, you are the one that told me about rash guards and that you wear them all the time around the boat.
Looks like you should have packed one to go with you to HI.

Gonzo
08-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I can't tell you the joy I have in knowining that I was able to educate you all in knowing that there is a purpose for vinegar other than salad dressing and doucheing (sniff sniff) excuse me I had to wipe a little tear from my eye!!! :D

Dont forget bar b que, E NC style...

BriEOD
08-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Jim--sorry to hear that. I've had one or two sunburns courtesy of the Hawaii sun. Supposedly, you have a higher propensity for sunburn due to being closer to the equator.

Hilton Hawaiian Village...hmmm. I stayed there once. Did you hit up BeniHanas?

ski_king
08-20-2008, 09:44 PM
.....Hilton Hawaiian Village...hmmm. I stayed there once. Did you hit up BeniHanas?
I ate there once, it was great!

Wife got burnt the first day there also.

Maristar210
08-20-2008, 10:27 PM
OK you have sunburn. whiner..

magnum
08-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Might be hard to find but Emu Oil is excellent for sun burns, stops the skin from blistering also , It is a natural anti-inflammatory oil, might try a drug store that carries natural products

ski_king
08-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Emu oil as from a Emu bird?

suedv
08-20-2008, 11:28 PM
One look and I say PAIN not fun. And, if you had someone like me around they'd be telling you to put the seat down. 8p:D

jimmer2880
08-21-2008, 01:52 AM
One look and I say PAIN not fun. And, if you had someone like me around they'd be telling you to put the seat down. 8p:D

Funny you say that... I always keep the seat down at home. My wife saw the pic and said "guess you're living it up, not having any females whining about not putting the seat down". How is it that both of you caught that? :D

jimmer2880
08-21-2008, 01:53 AM
Sorry to hear of the burn Jim.

If I remember right, you are the one that told me about rash guards and that you wear them all the time around the boat.
Looks like you should have packed one to go with you to HI.

Yup - that was me. I didn't pack one, becuase I really didn't think I'd be seeing the outdoors much. Usually our deployments are 18-20 hour days, with no fun.

jimmer2880
08-21-2008, 01:54 AM
Jim--sorry to hear that. I've had one or two sunburns courtesy of the Hawaii sun. Supposedly, you have a higher propensity for sunburn due to being closer to the equator.

Hilton Hawaiian Village...hmmm. I stayed there once. Did you hit up BeniHanas?

Haven't gotten to BeniHanas yet. But, everyone in my group always eats there when they come here. Supposedly it's the best place to eat. I plan on stopping at the Yard House before I leave also. 100+ beers on tap, can't be bad :D

jimmer2880
08-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Today's update. I now have probably 200-300 small (1/8" diameter) blisters on my back which haven't popped. At first, I thought I was starting to peel. But, then they popped when I rubbed them. Dang. No wonder it itched/burned so bad. :( I'll stop whining now.

It stinks not having a ski ride, but I've been playing some beach volleyball every night. It reminded me just how out of shape I am in. Sure miss the gold old days of drinking till noon, skiing in the afternoon, then playing beach vb until 2am.

Maristar210
08-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Today's update. I now have probably 200-300 small (1/8" diameter) blisters on my back which haven't popped. At first, I thought I was starting to peel. But, then they popped when I rubbed them. Dang. No wonder it itched/burned so bad. :( I'll stop whining now.

It stinks not having a ski ride, but I've been playing some beach volleyball every night. It reminded me just how out of shape I am in. Sure miss the gold old days of drinking till noon, skiing in the afternoon, then playing beach vb until 2am.

You couldn't smell my jealousy of where you were. I feel for you, no pun intended.

andyhoyt
08-21-2008, 08:26 AM
I know I am a little late on this, but I have a remedy that works fast. We took our Sea Ray over to the Bahamas for a 16 day island hopping adventure and on the first day our middle son got very burned. The Bahamians have a remedy that costs them almost nothing and it worked like a charm. It does require another person though. Have someone rub a lot of French's yellow mustard on it and sleep that way. By morning our son's burn was completely gone and we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.

coz
08-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I know I am a little late on this, but I have a remedy that works fast. We took our Sea Ray over to the Bahamas for a 16 day island hopping adventure and on the first day our middle son got very burned. The Bahamians have a remedy that costs them almost nothing and it worked like a charm. It does require another person though. Have someone rub a lot of French's yellow mustard on it and sleep that way. By morning our son's burn was completely gone and we were able to enjoy the rest of our trip.

Then you won't need those little mustard packs you can just dip you corn dogs and hot pretzels on your son :confused: walla! mustard man!

chudson
08-21-2008, 09:20 AM
Man I almost forgot my favorite remedy, "Soak it in cider" :confused: :rolleyes: :D :cool:

magnum
08-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Emu oil as from a Emu bird?
Yes, The Emu Oil comes from the Emu Bird when the bird is processed , read all about it on the internet

wakeX2wake
08-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Yes, The Emu Oil comes from the Emu Bird when the bird is processed , read all about it on the internet

used it before... it was ok but the clinique after-sun works better than anything i've ever seen... dude i'm impressed you got moderate 2nd degree sunburn... that's intense

suedv
08-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Your needed one of these things. The round part screws open and you can put your lotion or aloe in it. There are roller balls that dispense the lotion as you rub it on your back. I got one once at Bed Bath & Beyond when I had to travel for work and I had a rash on my back that I needed to take care of. The handle comes off for travel. I'm sorry, I wish I had thought of this earlier. It did the job for me.