PDA

View Full Version : Sad News - Pour a 40 on the curb please.

fletch_n_me
08-18-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey All - Fletch - my best friend, co-pilot and official spotter passed away on Thursday 8/14. He was 11 years old. Our whole family is devastated but thankful for all of the great years. At 120 lbs, he was intimidating but incredibly sweet and gentle with kids and people. It is going to take me a while to get back on the boat without him. You never have enough time and you are never prepared.

Scot
08-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Dogs Rule! Sorry for your loss.....

atlfootr
08-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Yes, we're very sorry :( about your loss.

east tx skier
08-18-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm sorry for your loss and being someone who has always been very attached to his pets, understand what you guys are going through.

flipper
08-18-2008, 04:31 PM
Very sorry to hear of your loss.

chudson
08-18-2008, 04:36 PM
So sorry, it's real hard to lose such a good friend !!! He was a great lookin pup too!!

rspiecha
08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm getting teary eyed just looking at the pictures of such a beautiful dog.

Sorry for your loss.

Rob

Gonzo
08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
Sorry for you loss, beautiful animal.

stuartmcnair
08-18-2008, 04:55 PM
Those Shepherds are the best dogs ever. Sorry for your loss. He was a beauty.

Monte
08-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Sorry for your loss

André
08-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Sorry to read this.Looks like a great friend!

mlay
08-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Sorry for your loss. I have a Golden going on 14 years and not looking forward to that day. They are called man's best friend for a reason.

dog paw
08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
Tears me up to read it. Sorry for your loss Jason. Like Scott said, dogs rule..

This was our spotter Shiloh. She made it to 14 years. Didnt matter what or where if you brought out a set of keys she was there. Awesome dogs..

I'l have our nit wit Dobe squat a 40 and leave a dog log to boot.

Muttley
08-18-2008, 06:48 PM
It's pretty amazing how we can get so attached to critters. They really are members of the family.

Sorry for your loss.

TMCNo1
08-18-2008, 07:13 PM
We are sorry for your loss. We lost our 12 year old Bassett Hound, Josephine to intestine cancer and she is still sorely missed after 15 years.:o

coz
08-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Hey All - Fletch - my best friend, co-pilot and official spotter passed away on Thursday 8/14. He was 11 years old. Our whole family is devastated but thankful for all of the great years. At 120 lbs, he was intimidating but incredibly sweet and gentle with kids and people. It is going to take me a while to get back on the boat without him. You never have enough time and you are never prepared.

Something about german shepards? they are sooooo smart. Sorry about Fletch we just had to say bye to our Max last year and the backyard just ain't been the same. Hang in there :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2168/1796227875_a57d2bae44_b.jpg

Check out the reply in this thread by RexDog, that's funny :D http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12742&highlight=mans+friend&page=42

Chief
08-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Always a sad day when you lose "Man's Best Friend". You can prove this by locking your dog and wife in a trunk for an hour. When you open it, see who's happy to see you.

Gamble
08-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Very sorry for your loss.....being a pet owner and having been through it, well, it just sucks pondwater. A wise man once told me the greatest love you can show your pet is iwhen it's time to put 'em down.

ttu
08-18-2008, 07:52 PM
Always a sad day when you lose "Man's Best Friend". You can prove this by locking your dog and wife in a trunk for an hour. When you open it, see who's happy to see you.

true that.

as others have said i am sorry for your loss. it is man's best friend.

JohnE
08-18-2008, 08:46 PM
My condolences as well. When I lost our lab/ shepherd mix when she was 13 it tore me up.

D3skier
08-18-2008, 08:54 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss... I had a good scare last year with our Rottie when he started loosing a lot of weight come to find out he has diabetes. The vet didn't get it under control fast enough and he ended up with cataracts as well. A huge vet bill later we had the surgery done and he's gained back 1/2 of the weight he lost and doing well at 12 years old. I'm in the same boat as you, won't ever be ready for that day and not sure how I will deal with it.

trickskier
08-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Very sorry to hear about you loss. I know the feeling....................

fletch_n_me
08-18-2008, 09:21 PM
All, thank you so much for your kindness. My wife read these and was in tears. We are all really cut from the same jib; God, family, friends, pets and then MC...not necessarily in that order sometimes...

The hardest part for me is that my wife is a vet. She feels like she let me and him down. Nothing could have been done differently but hindsight is 20/20 and she doesn't feel that way.

If you all could say a prayer for her, I would be forever grateful. She is a wonderful vet, mother and woman. I hope you all get to meet her because she is amazing.

Thank you again and kiss your pets on the lips - you will not regret it!

trickskier
08-18-2008, 09:32 PM
All, thank you so much for your kindness. My wife read these and was in tears. We are all really cut from the same jib; God, family, friends, pets and then MC...not necessarily in that order sometimes...

The hardest part for me is that my wife is a vet. She feels like she let me and him down. Nothing could have been done differently but hindsight is 20/20 and she doesn't feel that way.

If you all could say a prayer for her, I would be forever grateful. She is a wonderful vet, mother and woman. I hope you all get to meet her because she is amazing.

Thank you again and kiss your pets on the lips - you will not regret it!

Consider it done!!!

mlay
08-18-2008, 10:07 PM
Prayers from the family tonight to yours.

Here in the South, we had a great writer you may have heard of...Lewis Grizzard. He died before his beloved dog catfish. I still think that the best work Mike Luckovich (Award-winning editorial cartoonist ) has ever done is still the cartoon of Catfish running out to meet Lewis at the pearly gates after he accended to heaven. I have a print of that cartoon I need to find after the move, it needs framing and put on the wall.

Lewis had been married many times but those that knew him knew that cartoon captured it....he loved catfish and catfish loved him back, unconditionally. A bond rarely broken by anything...

mlay
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Sorry, meant to say Catfish passed away before Lewis.

fletch_n_me
08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
Prayers from the family tonight to yours.

Here in the South, we had a great writer you may have heard of...Lewis Grizzard. He died before his beloved dog catfish. I still think that the best work Mike Luckovich (Award-winning editorial cartoonist ) has ever done is still the cartoon of Catfish running out to meet Lewis at the pearly gates after he accended to heaven. I have a print of that cartoon I need to find after the move, it needs framing and put on the wall.

Lewis had been married many times but those that knew him knew that cartoon captured it....he loved catfish and catfish loved him back, unconditionally. A bond rarely broken by anything...

My wife went to UGA for undergrad and vet school - I mean, it's no Colorado State but, as good as you are going to get in GA.

"There is no closer bond than that of a man and his dog. Specifically when their mutual freedom depends on each other's testimony holding up under cross examination" - The Onion

Thanks bud, it means a lot.

Willski
08-18-2008, 10:13 PM
It is just a sad fact that dogs have much shorter lives than ours. We just let go of a springer spaniel about 2 years ago. Kidney failure. We treated her for a while, but if we treated much longer, we would have been doing it for us and not her. It is really tough. Wife and I both cried like babies.

Got a beautiful pointer now. I call her the German shorthair pillow pointer!!

sk8salomon
08-18-2008, 10:17 PM
man, i'm so sad for you i don't know where to start. 1st off, it gets worse before it gets better. my wife was at home when our 4yr old shepherd "Charlie" started acting strange and throwing up. i thought it was just a typical stomach bug so i told her not to worry and i'd be home after work. 2pm she called and he was gone. canine bloat which is very common in large chested dogs but my wife felt horrible for weeks. so sorry to hear about your loss. i raised charlie on the MC for years and he never missed a key jingle. it's so hard to lose them especially when they go everywhere with you and look over the family. shepherds have an unbelieveable dedication to their family and are probably the smartest dogs out there imo. but love on your wife and talk about the fun times you had with Fletch on the water. hang in there man, it gets better eventually but never completely goes away. RIP Fletch!

mlay
08-18-2008, 10:20 PM
We love out pets...especially out faithfull dogs.

Originally published November 28, 1993 in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Reprinted Monday, March 21, 1994:

Catfish, the black Lab, has up and died
By Lewis Grizzard
STAFF
??? My dog Catfish, the black Lab, died Thanksgiving night.
The vet said his heart gave out.
Down in the country, they would have said, "Lewis's dog up and died." He would have been 12 had he lived until January.
Catfish had a good life. He slept indoors. Mostly he ate what I ate. We shared our last meal Tuesday evening in our living room in front of the television.
We had a Wendy's double cheeseburger and some chili.
Catfish was a gift from my friends Barbara and Vince Dooley. Vince, of course, is the athletic director at the University of Georgia. Barbara is a noted speaker and author.
I named him driving back to Atlanta from Athens where I had picked him up at the Dooleys' home. I don't know why I named him what I named him. He was all curled up in a blanket on my back seat. And I looked at him and it just came out. I called him: "Catfish."
I swear he raised up from the blanket and acknowledged. Then he severely fouled the blanket and my back seat.

A powerful set of jaws
He was a most destructive animal the first three years of his life.
He chewed things. He chewed books. He chewed shoes.
"I said to Catfish, 'Heel,' " I used to offer from behind the dais, "and he went to my closet and chewed up my best pair of Guccis."
Catfish chewed television remote control devices. Batteries and all.
He chewed my glasses. Five pairs of them.
One day, when he was still a puppy, he got out of the house without my knowledge. The doorbell rang. It was a young man who said, "I hit your dog with my car, but I think he's OK."
He was. He had a small cut on his head and he was frightened, but he was otherwise unhurt.
"I came around the corner," the young man explained, "and he was in the road chewing on something. I hit my brakes the second I saw him."
"Could you tell what he was chewing on?" I asked.
"I know this sounds crazy," the young man answered, "but I think it was a beer bottle."
Catfish stopped chewing while I still had a house. Barely.

Known far and wide
He was a celebrity, Catfish. I spoke recently in Michigan.
Afterwards a lady came up to me and said, "I was real disappointed with your speech. You didn't mention Catfish."

Catfish used to get his own mail. Just the other day the manufacturer of a new brand of dog food called "Country Gold," with none other than George Jones's picture on the package, sent Catfish a sample of its new product. For the record, he still preferred cheeseburgers and chili.

Catfish was once grand marshal of the Scottsboro, Ala., annual Catfish Festival. He was on television and got to ride in the front seat of a police car with its siren on.

He was a patient, good-natured dog, too. Jordan, who is 5, has been pulling his ears since she was 2. She even tried to ride him at times. He abided with nary a growl.

Oh, that face and those eyes. What he could do to me with that face and those eyes. He would perch himself next to me on the sofa in the living room and look at me.

And love and loyalty would pour out with that look, and as long as I had that, there was very little the human race could do to harm my self- esteem.

Good dogs don't love bad people.

He was smart. He was fun. And he loved to ride in cars. There were times he was all that I had.

And now he has up and died. My own heart, or what is left of it, is breaking.

Prostar in Michigain
08-18-2008, 10:35 PM
That makes me pet my pup great looking dog sorry for the loss man

Hrkdrivr
08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
RIP Fletch...sorry for your loss.

Tell Momma not to beat herself up; sometimes the best you can do is make sure they're not hurting too much. We'll say a prayer for all of you...

We've had Sheps ever since we had kids...they're wonderful family dogs, unfortunately none of them liked going on the boat, prolly because we didn't get them as puppies so they didn't grow up on the water.

shepherd
08-18-2008, 10:55 PM
Sorry for your loss. RIP Fletch.

kal_dude
08-19-2008, 02:37 AM
i feel your pain, i just lost my cat 2 weeks ago, almost 20 years old! heres a pic of my buddy! 4 1/2 year old male GSD

hang in there, he will always be alive in your heart!!!

kal

stuartmcnair
08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
it looks like GSD's are a favorite on here...if you get another one make sure to tell it how big the shoes to fill are...we remind ours every day that she follows the Best Dog Ever

mitch
08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Bummer, sorry to hear that!

fletch_n_me
08-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Thanks guys - his ashes came home today and that was hard. He is getting spread on the lake in WI where he was in the boat before it was off of the ramp. Thanks again from the Amann family.J

TX.X-30 fan
08-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Sorry for you loss.

What is the pour a 40 on the curb mean.??

Oh I see now.

pour one for my homies 62 up, 4 down
the act of pouring liquid (usually an alcoholic beverage) on the ground as a sign of reverence for friends or relatives that have passed away. in most cases, a 40 ounce bottle (see: forty) of liquor is used.

I'm sure Fletch would appreciate that touching sentiment.

Roonie's
08-19-2008, 08:14 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss. Losing a dog sucks. Recently lost ours finally after many near death experiences thread found here; http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=19534&highlight=lives

He left on our terms as we took him off his heart meds and the next day he collapsed from a heart attack which we knew would be immenent.

dapicatti
08-19-2008, 11:42 PM
Sorry to of your loss, and yours too Roonies. We have lost 2 chows already, I don't think my wife can take another one going.

kal_dude
08-21-2008, 01:41 PM
do you care to say which lake in WI?

kal

Datdude
08-21-2008, 05:40 PM
Sorry to hear the bad news. A good friend just lost his 10 year old Golden and it was really hard for him to take. I know our dog is a major part of the family.

mlay
08-21-2008, 09:23 PM
On my 14 yr old Golden, had to drop $600 bucks on him yesterday for a tumor removal. After 14 yrs he deserves it, after all the heart felt posts to this thread I can only be thankful I still have his companionship, for how long no one knows but I will take what I can get.

Maristar210
08-25-2008, 12:43 PM
My Shepard Boris only made it to age five and we had to put him down because he was full of cancer. Some months later we decided to get a dog from the pound. We brough Baxter home only to learn he had parvo. This fifty dollar dog from the pound has gone through parvo treatment and then after healing we was sliced by my son on his snowboard and also required surgery.

Here he is when we brought him home. He is now 88# of black lab and Aussie Shep mix.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/nickbaxter021.jpg

Maristar210
08-25-2008, 12:51 PM
Not sure why that's so big, sorry.

Here he is last winter overseeing the pontoon restohttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/Steves389/baxter-1.jpg

fletch_n_me
09-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Man, I don't care what anyone tells you - I am still having a really hard time without my co-pilot. His ashes came in a few weeks ago and that was hard. I had some pictures printed, framed and sent to the family and that was even worse. I am a grown man, played D1A football, suffered serious injuries and he was next to me the entire way. He never asked for anything in return.

I am now married and having kids and I feel lost without my best friend. Can someone please tell me it will get better because I am not doing well.

fletch_n_me
09-23-2008, 10:29 PM
I really need help.

dapicatti
09-23-2008, 11:56 PM
It will get better. When we lost our 8yr old Chow Angelo to cancer, it was devastating. Even though we knew we would lose him, it was still incredibly hard. We now have 2 chows (rescue dogs) that we love, but its not the same. I know you can't imagine having another dog right now, but it helps fill that empty space in the house. Coimng home without that smiling face greeting you just doesn't feel right. I still look for Angelo all the time, but the other 2 come running up and smiling every day. It's been 4 years, and I still miss my best friend.

nascar
09-24-2008, 07:14 AM
My wife and I experienced the same thing four years ago . Our shepard was 12 years 4 months when I had to make that heart breaking decision to put her down because it was best for her . Life was just empty after that for serveral months . I did not want to get another shepard for awhile out of respect and honor for Summer but everyone kept telling us it would ease the pain of our lost . And they were correct . We got Storm when she was 9 weeks and she was the smallest of 9 pups , now she is almost 3 and weighs 85 lbs. and is the love of our life . We will never completely get over the lost of Summer ( I have stopped twice to wipe the tears away just typing this ) but having Storm has brought joy back into our family . Sorry for your lost , I really do know what you are going thur , you might want to consider getting another shepard . It might not feel right at first but soon that special bond will form without you even knowing , that it is happening . Best of luck to you and your family .

Slinkyredfoot
09-24-2008, 07:47 AM
I really need help.

Trust yourself it will get better. I always thought a loving pet's loss what one hard, sad ordeal to deal with. Trust your feelings, let it out, and remember the good times with Fletch and how much happiness and love he brought to you....then go out and get another dog.

Seeing and raising a new dog always eased my sadness.

You will always remember and never forget Fletch...my thoughts are with you...;)