PDA

View Full Version : calling out tech geeks

rodltg2
04-27-2005, 04:07 PM
im doing a homeshow this weekend and i would like to play a slide show of project pictures . i dont want to take my whole computer or buy a laptop just for it. can dvd players do this ? or any other suggestions.
thanks in advance.

MasterMason
04-27-2005, 04:12 PM
im doing a homeshow this weekend and i would like to play a slide show of project pictures . i dont want to take my whole computer or buy a laptop just for it. can dvd players do this ? or any other suggestions.
thanks in advance.

If you burn your pictures on a CD or dvd, your dvd player should play a slide show just fine, I know mine does

sfitzgerald351
04-27-2005, 04:14 PM
You should be able to burn the photos onto a DVD and then set the DVD player to repeat...

rodltg2
04-27-2005, 04:24 PM
i dont have a dvd burner. will it work if i save them as jpegs?

ski_king
04-27-2005, 04:28 PM
I believe most (or at least some) dvd players will play a cd that has jpegs as a slide show.

Make a cd and give it a try. Or better yet, read your dvd player instructions.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 04:29 PM
I've done some pretty extensive slide shows for family members' rehearsal dinners. But these were set to music and had transitions between the pictures. Pinnacle Studio software is great for this. Most CD burning programs, i.e., Roxio or Nero, should be able to do create a slide show. I've never tried just burning pictures to a CD and hitting play/repeat on the DVD player, but I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work if your DVD player has a slide show viewing function on it (my portable one does). As a general rule, your DVD player should handle CD-RW fine. Most will handle video in cd format (VCDs). My dvd player will only play VCDs on CD-RWs, not CD-Rs.

rodltg2
04-27-2005, 04:30 PM
i have an xbox will that work? i know my dvd player at home is ancient and wont play any burn cds.

Leroy
04-27-2005, 04:32 PM
I use windows movie maker. I don't believe it is as powerful as the pinnacle sw, but does a pretty good job. Easy to add captions, transitions, etc with these sw packages.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 04:32 PM
Try using a CD-RW. My old Sony DVD player (1st generation) won't play music on CD-R, but will play Video CDs (VCDs) of of CD-RWs.

Leroy
04-27-2005, 04:33 PM
The only thing I will say is it is never easy the first time through with all of the subtle differences between DVD players, DVD burners, etc.

jayderwin1
04-27-2005, 04:36 PM
i know my XBOX does not play every thing my dvd player plays you are probably better off triing the DVD player

rodltg2
04-27-2005, 07:06 PM
thanks everbody for the help. i bought a samsung dvd player that plays jpeg slide shows. radio shack $59. cant beat that , as long as it last 3 days ill be happy.

erkoehler
04-27-2005, 07:37 PM
They have really gotten pretty cheap lately!

milkmania
04-27-2005, 10:34 PM
I can confirm that XBOX will play CD-R's & DVD-R's

dunno about the DVD+R's, but I figure it would

milkmania
04-27-2005, 10:36 PM
Sam's Wholesale Club has DVD players for $39.00.........

work great too:banana:

bought 2 for my kids to take to school and if they trash them...so be it

erkoehler
04-27-2005, 10:48 PM
Target has one for 34.98! Stop by and I'll get you a deal!!!!

I like the new portable DVD players w/ the 10" screen. Great for travel. :D

jimmer2880
04-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Target has one for 34.98! Stop by and I'll get you a deal!!!!

I like the new portable DVD players w/ the 10" screen. Great for travel. :D

But - I can buy a used 650 mhz laptop with a dvd drive for the same price with a 14" screen:D

A year ago, I was seriously looking at the portable dvd players & almost bought one a couple times. Then I checked ebay and decided to just use my laptop, since I can replace it for about the same price as a nice portable dvd player.

The laptop is not quite as nice with the boot-up times. But - I can do so many more things with it.

MarkP
04-28-2005, 07:41 AM
Jimmer dude,

How much are you talking about?? We gotta talk. Boy a lap top would sure make things easy around my house, especially when Iím trying to make dinner and keep an eye on Team Talk:cool:

BriEOD
04-28-2005, 08:15 AM
Come on Mark, move into the 21st century dude. You don't have a laptop with wirless capability? Dude that is so last millenium! :purplaugh

jimmer2880
04-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Jimmer dude,

How much are you talking about?? We gotta talk. Boy a lap top would sure make things easy around my house, especially when Iím trying to make dinner and keep an eye on Team Talk:cool:

With your post count! I was thinking about cutting the cable to your house so the rest of us can catch up!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31542&item=6763849268&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Dell Lattitude - 650 mhz, WIFI

DVD player is an extra $50.00

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 09:45 AM
SORRY! You did find a good deal on that laptop!

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 11:01 AM
But - I can buy a used 650 mhz laptop with a dvd drive for the same price with a 14" screen:D

A year ago, I was seriously looking at the portable dvd players & almost bought one a couple times. Then I checked ebay and decided to just use my laptop, since I can replace it for about the same price as a nice portable dvd player.

The laptop is not quite as nice with the boot-up times. But - I can do so many more things with it.

That used to be our argument, but we picked up a refurb'd portable with a 7" screen for $199 a few years ago. Great on airplanes, fits nicely in my carry on (no extra laptop bag, starts up instantly, plays jpeg slides, mp3s, and dvds, has a cigarette lighter adapter for road trips, and plugs into any TV with an RCA hookup. A 7" screen sounds small, but on a plane or on the road, having tried it, I wouldn't want a much larger one.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 11:12 AM
As for the laptop, I'd look for something faster and with higher memory capabilities (my guess is that is going to max out at 512 ram). I didn't see which operating system that computer had (just looked - no operating system), but in our experience, Windows 98 has had serious issues with some wireless cards (although I'm sure there are those out there with no issues). 2000 would probably work well, but that's more cash to spend after you get it.

For just a little more than $400, you could pick up a brand new HP or Compaq (or other brand) "desktop replacement" (larger laptop) with integrated wireless, dvd/cd+/-RW, a mobile-specific processor, and tons of other bells and whistles.

Most importantly, on a used laptop, consider this statement from the auction, "Laptop batteries are not tested nor are they warranteed and are sold as is." Translation, don't stray too far from the outlet.

We just went through the laptop purchasing process. Went with a Dell and were very happy. It's smaller than the "desktop replacement," which accounts for a bit higher price, but that was important as much as my wife travels. Didn't get it for $400 (more like $800), but with all the bells and whistles, we felt like we got our money's worth. And the wireless broadband rules.

Leroy
04-28-2005, 11:46 AM
I second Doug's comments. I just got a new PC from work, Dell D600, basic PC not sure of price. My old PC had Windows 2k and starting to have issues that XP takes care of. Looking for laptop for my son and XP is requirement, >1GHz processor speed, 512k memory, then depends if you plan on downloading camcorder movies or not as to harddisk size and if you want DVD burning. All have DVD play and CD burning now.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 12:07 PM
DVD burning is a wonderful thing. Bear in mind that with a mobile processor, i.e., centrino, or celeron M, or the AMD equivalent, a 1.3 ghz processor is equivilent to a 2.5 PIV or Celeron in a Desktop (that is not an exact conversion). As memory goes, load it up. It's cheap and makes a world of difference.

Not to change the subject for long, but does anyone know of any freeware that I could use to automatically close unnecessary processes running in the background. It is such a memory hog.

bcampbe7
04-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Try this website Doug:
www.webattack.com

I haven't been there in awhile but they used to have some pretty cool tools. You can look for freeware or shareware.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Thanks a bunch.

jimmer2880
04-28-2005, 05:25 PM
As for the laptop, I'd look for something faster and with higher memory capabilities (my guess is that is going to max out at 512 ram). I didn't see which operating system that computer had (just looked - no operating system), but in our experience, Windows 98 has had serious issues with some wireless cards (although I'm sure there are those out there with no issues). 2000 would probably work well, but that's more cash to spend after you get it.

For just a little more than $400, you could pick up a brand new HP or Compaq (or other brand) "desktop replacement" (larger laptop) with integrated wireless, dvd/cd+/-RW, a mobile-specific processor, and tons of other bells and whistles.

Most importantly, on a used laptop, consider this statement from the auction, "Laptop batteries are not tested nor are they warranteed and are sold as is." Translation, don't stray too far from the outlet.

We just went through the laptop purchasing process. Went with a Dell and were very happy. It's smaller than the "desktop replacement," which accounts for a bit higher price, but that was important as much as my wife travels. Didn't get it for $400 (more like $800), but with all the bells and whistles, we felt like we got our money's worth. And the wireless broadband rules.

I completely agree. He asked what he could get into one for. By the way - that's not the deal I got, just the first one I came across on ebay today.

Yes - used batteries can be a PITA. I would probably never only drop $400 on a used laptop, but would throw a couple extra $$$'s at it and get something decent. But - for playing DVD's - the 650 with 128 mb of RAM is all you really need.

2000 would be my choice of OS over 98, but XP would be best. It will actually run faster than 2000 on that box (I couldn't believe it till I saw it).

jimmer2880
04-28-2005, 05:27 PM
That used to be our argument, but we picked up a refurb'd portable with a 7" screen for $199 a few years ago. Great on airplanes, fits nicely in my carry on (no extra laptop bag, starts up instantly, plays jpeg slides, mp3s, and dvds, has a cigarette lighter adapter for road trips, and plugs into any TV with an RCA hookup. A 7" screen sounds small, but on a plane or on the road, having tried it, I wouldn't want a much larger one.

sounds great. We didn't come across anything like that and also had a laptop already. I was concerned about killing it from using it in the car all the time for the 2 year old (litteraly - every trip). But - when I saw that I could replace it for the same price as a decent portable DVD player - it was a no-brainer. My theory was that hopefully by the time it dies - I could probably pick up a > 800mhz for $400. Hope the computer gods don't jinx me for saying that now.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 05:50 PM
we got it from refubdepot.com. It was a polaroid and was $199. It has run flawlessly for about two years or so.

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 06:09 PM
Sounds like you got your monies worth at the time.

jimmer2880
04-29-2005, 07:35 PM
we got it from refubdepot.com. It was a polaroid and was $199. It has run flawlessly for about two years or so.

That sounds great. We may look into that even though we are setup for the laptop deal.