PDA

View Full Version : trailer brakes?

jixxxer
08-18-2008, 03:12 PM
How do u know when the brakes are bad on the trailer? I know when I the brakes, there a "bump", is that common? This is my first trailer with brakes and bought it like this so I cant compare anything to it.

flipper
08-18-2008, 03:15 PM
try engaging the brakes manually. Should tell you what's going on. If the coupler will go all the way to the stops, you have a problem, if not, you should be okay. Inspect the brakes while you're at it just to be sure.

jixxxer
08-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Sorry for my ignorance but how do i engage the brakes manually?? Is the coupler the round deal that slides back and forth by the hitch?

bigmac
08-18-2008, 03:20 PM
The bump on starting and stopping is likely your brake actuator and a normal part of hydraulic trailer brakes.

flipper
08-18-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd have to look at mine to tell you exactly, but look at it, and you'll see a spot to pry it back with a big screwdriver, or small pry bar. If you have the book, or can find it online, it shows how to do it. I posted it on here while ago, but can't find it now.

east tx skier
08-18-2008, 04:29 PM
Check your fluid reservoir (on top of the tongue) as well.

Sodar
08-18-2008, 04:33 PM
UFP Actuator Owner's Manual (http://www.ufpnet.com/PDF/A-60,%2075%20_%2084%20Actuator%20Maintenance.pdf)

flipper
08-18-2008, 04:46 PM
That's what I was looking for!!!!

WTRSK1R
08-18-2008, 08:19 PM
If you are getting a noticeable bump when stopping and starting I am willing to bet you have an empty fluid resovoir for the brakes. You should start there, and if it is completely empty, you will need to bleed the brakes too. On top of that, if it is empty, there is leak somewhere which you will need to find to really fix it right. When the master cylinder does not have enough fluid it will move in and out more quickly then it should and the coupler with bump or thump when it hit the end of travel in either direction. I do not know what the age of your trailer is, but the early nineties trailers have had issues with the brake lines rusting out and leaking causing this exact symptom.

bigmac
08-18-2008, 08:24 PM
My trailer bumps like crazy, has since it was new, as have all of the big boat trailers I've owned. Fluid reservoir is full, brakes work well (TOO well). Trailer has about 100 miles on it.

bturner2
08-19-2008, 07:42 AM
It seems everytime I buy a used boat the previous owner has not taken care of the brakes so I just rebuild them and the wheel bearings and get it out of the way. If the trailer is a 97 I would first look at the fluid level and the condition of the fluid. Brake fluid absorbes water so if it hasn't been changed since 97 it should be now. If it is empty the first place I would look for a leak would be the wheel cylinders (with drum brakes, you don't state if you have drum or disc brakes). With a trailer this old odds are they're leaking or will be soon. Nothing worse than trailering with bad brakes when you need to make a panic stop. At a minimum you should pull the bearing apart and service them. While the wheel is off you might as well service or least inspect the brakes.

east tx skier
08-19-2008, 10:26 AM
It seems everytime I buy a used boat the previous owner has not taken care of the brakes so I just rebuild them and the wheel bearings and get it out of the way. If the trailer is a 97 I would first look at the fluid level and the condition of the fluid. Brake fluid absorbes water so if it hasn't been changed since 97 it should be now. If it is empty the first place I would look for a leak would be the wheel cylinders (with drum brakes, you don't state if you have drum or disc brakes). With a trailer this old odds are they're leaking or will be soon. Nothing worse than trailering with bad brakes when you need to make a panic stop. At a minimum you should pull the bearing apart and service them. While the wheel is off you might as well service or least inspect the brakes.

Next place I'd look for a leak is the brake lines. At least as recently as 93, they weren't stainless. Although I think you may have escaped the era of MC's wrapping the lines in a rubber sheath. Talk about accelerating corrosion!

TMCNo1
08-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Next place I'd look for a leak is the brake lines. At least as recently as 93, they weren't stainless. Although I think you may have escaped the era of MC's wrapping the lines in a rubber sheath. Talk about accelerating corrosion!

Condoms for brake lines, now there is a novel idea, "Practicing Safe Braking"!:rolleyes::D

east tx skier
08-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Condoms for brake lines, now there is a novel idea, "Practicing Safe Braking"!:rolleyes::D

Ha! And making sure your OEM non-stainless brake lines are constantly submerged.

Brilliant!