PDA

View Full Version : SeaDoo purchase :: Advice on Max hours/value

Kummer
08-18-2008, 10:15 AM
There is a 2005 SeaDoo wake (4TEC 155hp 4 stroke) that a neighbor is looking to sell but it has over 300 hours:rolleyes:. Cosmetically there is light oxidation and a few gel coat issues that can probably be resolved with some TLC. Runs great and seems mechanically sound. It has always been serviced at the local dealer and used primarily in fresh water. Asking $6500 for ski trailer and drive on "jet dock"

See attached for NADA - low retail for the seadoo only is $6400

1. Would you consider purchasing a seadoo with this many hours.
2. How many hours can I expect to get?
3. What is a fair price?

Thanks - I would rather hear the knowlage from the MC crew - Oh and the primary use will be to pull wakeskate & hit sliders

Sodar
08-18-2008, 10:20 AM
300 hours should give you plenty more life out of it. I am guessing that since it is a 155hp, that it is the 2-stroke engine? If so, about the only thing you can do is check the compression and if all goes well, go with it. A trailer and JetDock are worth about $1500, so even in the ski goes belly up in a few years, you can always at least get that much back out of the deal.

Rebuilding a PWC motor is not too expensive... even if you have a shop do it. I have had a few done with top of the line parts for about $1700.

Good Luck!

shepherd
08-18-2008, 10:34 AM
Buy it.

And park it. :cool:

coz
08-18-2008, 10:35 AM
300 hours should give you plenty more life out of it. I am guessing that since it is a 155hp, that it is the 2-stroke engine? If so, about the only thing you can do is check the compression and if all goes well, go with it. A trailer and JetDock are worth about $1500, so even in the ski goes belly up in a few years, you can always at least get that much back out of the deal.

Rebuilding a PWC motor is not too expensive... even if you have a shop do it. I have had a few done with top of the line parts for about $1700.

Good Luck!

My sons friend has one and they are 4 strokes. They use it for wakeskating and really want to build a slider. Not good for wakeboarding but fun skating.

Sodar
08-18-2008, 10:40 AM
My sons friend has one and they are 4 strokes. They use it for wakeskating and really want to build a slider. Not good for wakeboarding but fun skating.

Yeah, I was checking one out a couple weeks back at Parker Yamaha. I figured since a 2005 was 4 model years old now, that the 2-stroke was still being used. I always though that the 215hp engine was the 4-stroke... My guess is I am wrong! I used to know every spec on every Sea-Doo and Yamaha in the line up, but lost touch when I found how much more fun stand-up are! :cool:

chudson
08-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Talkin to a snowmobile dealer once and he said never buy a used jet ski because the only speed on them is wide open, never seen one just putting around!!!

Gonzo
08-18-2008, 10:50 AM
Talkin to a snowmobile dealer once and he said never buy a used jet ski because the only speed on them is wide open, never seen one just putting around!!!

You can half pull the trigger but its not easy to maintain speed. I have been thinking of rigging up some sort of block on a rubber or neoprene ring so I can slip it over the handle and use it like a governor. Mom (who owns it) doesn’t like going that fast, who can blame her she is 68, I am just glad she still gets out there on something...

Sodar
08-18-2008, 10:55 AM
If her Sea-Doo is new enough, you can get a different key that will govern the ski to a certain speed. I have a friend that bought the new 215hp RX that will do about 65+mph out of the box. He bought a 35mph learning key (I think that is what they call them) and she is good to go!

Kummer
08-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I have always considered SeaDoos a pain in the arse when I am on the water. There is some good value to them for those that own boats and understand the frustrations. This will save me some fuel, be fun for the wife to drive and explorer on, and great for wakeskating. I can also take this in salt too and spare the X2. With that said we are just wanting to make a smart buy. I appreicate the input. It seems so far that 300+ hours is fine and if it came to it the engine can be rebuilt for a fair price. Oh I updated the post it is a 4 stroke 155 hp motor. Anyone else have any experience?

MCDriven
08-18-2008, 11:24 AM
I bought a new 2008 155 Wake. Would be great for what you use it for. I use it for practicing edging and surface slides - cheaper than running the X2 and my son can pull me. Fun exploring ski - you can't tip it. Not much "wake" though, even with ballast.

On the used issue, I think the key is who you're buying from. Sounds like you have an advantage in that you really know the seller. If you have a good feeling about how he used it, I'd go for it. Sounds like a good deal with the dock and trailer. New drive on docks are $1500-2000.

stuartmcnair
08-18-2008, 06:04 PM
for reference on the hours...

I have an 06 Sea Doo GTX 4-Tec that only has about 75 hours on it and we use the he!! out of it.

bridomine99
08-18-2008, 09:41 PM
I rode jetskis for many years and would suggest you skip out on that huge machine and find yourself one or two 96 XP's / 97-98 SPX. These machines are identical and have 110hp, are extreemly light, and the fun factor is 10x in my opinion vs. a huge machine like you are looking at. Also, you can leave a whole bunch of money in your pocket. If your interested in more info feel free to PM. In my opinion....take the boat if you want to drive something that big. If I'm going jetsking I want to be fast, be able to jump, spin, etc, etc and a jetski that large will not touch the xp/spx's referenced above in terms of the fun factor.

dog paw
08-18-2008, 10:54 PM
LOL! Not being a smart butt buttt...asking these guys about a PWC is like poking a dog with a stick:D

Go here grasshopper. Dont be afraid, they are not haters and some of the best PWC wrenchers in the country are on this board.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/index.php

The wake editon is a OK ski,not my choice, having a MC to ski with.. I would be REAL cautious about buying ANY used PWC. I'm not sure of the changeover year but if that sucker has ceramic SC washers @300 hours its been through a few They "usually" fall apart get in the oil screens and frag the engine. I would be carefull...

Some of the stuff I'm reading here scares me. These aint your daddys ole standups.My stock RXPX rolls 255hp out of a 1.5 liter. Sea Doo's technology makes new cars look like model t's and they are NOT cheap to repair... Trust me LOL!

Dont discount the "huge ones" Brido, I do agree the XP's are fun as they come, the 951DI (130hp) was a nice setup in the XP (I have a RX in the fleet) but the are only solo skis and unfortunantly dino's and the new "big ones" reach the top speed of a XP in three seconds without beating your kidneys out :)

Rode my PX over 200 miles the other week on lake Winnipusakee. Awesome BIG lake, great time!

bridomine99
08-19-2008, 12:02 AM
LOL! Not being a smart butt buttt...asking these guys about a PWC is like poking a dog with a stick:D

Go here grasshopper. Dont be afraid, they are not haters and some of the best PWC wrenchers in the country are on this board.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/index.php

The wake editon is a OK ski,not my choice, having a MC to ski with.. I would be REAL cautious about buying ANY used PWC. I'm not sure of the changeover year but if that sucker has ceramic SC washers @300 hours its been through a few They "usually" fall apart get in the oil screens and frag the engine. I would be carefull...

Some of the stuff I'm reading here scares me. These aint your daddys ole standups.My stock RXPX rolls 255hp out of a 1.5 liter. Sea Doo's technology makes new cars look like model t's and they are NOT cheap to repair... Trust me LOL!

Dont discount the "huge ones" Brido, I do agree the XP's are fun as they come, the 951DI (130hp) was a nice setup in the XP (I have a RX in the fleet) but the are only solo skis and unfortunantly dino's and the new "big ones" reach the top speed of a XP in three seconds without beating your kidneys out :)

Rode my PX over 200 miles the other week on lake Winnipusakee. Awesome BIG lake, great time!

I agree with what your saying to a degree. Two of my riding buddies had a rxp's and they are wicked fast; no doubt about it. Faster than the 96 for sure, but if your goal is to go rip around / jump waves / freestyle in my opinion it is a much better boat at 1/5 the cost. Also when something goes wrong with my 2 stroker I can fix it. However, as you said if your looking to go for a long ride, you better be ready for a work out on a short little boat like a 96 xp. It really comes down to what type of riding your looking to do.

Hammer
08-19-2008, 10:09 AM
I say buy it and take it to the firing range for target practice, then sell the trailer and dock!!!!!:D;)
Other than that I'm no help.

Gonzo
08-19-2008, 11:54 AM
these guys were a big help when my moms had problems.

http://www.seadooforum.com/