PDA

View Full Version : How to Change a Tire--Please Read

BriEOD
08-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Alright, took me about a week and a half to get this up so you'll have to excuse my delay. However, I've been in unpacking hell as we have just relocated from Tampa to the DC area. With that said, I had to tow the boat up I-95. As I came into Fayetteville, NC we hit a detour (yes, off I-95) at about 8:30pm. A few miles into the detour I felt something strange and checked my mirrors only to see my port side trailer had gone. The tread seperated from the side wall, completely. It is a 2000 trailer, with very low miles (boat largely has been on a lift). Well, I got out to change it and despite a blowout felt good about things since I had a floor jack, universal lug wrench and maglite in the bed of my truck. So, I go to put the jack under the axle as cars are zipping by me (thankfully my wife pulled up to protect me in her Expedition and her headlights gave me light), and holy smokes the axle is too low, it won't go!! Alright, I try a few other spots and no joy. By this point I am sweating like a hog, getting eaten alive, filthy and furious. To make a 1.5 hour story short, I had a chunk of 4x4 and got the jack out of my F-150. Subsequently, I jacked up the trailer frame (just forward of the wheel well) enough to get the floor jack under the axle and then got the tire changed and back on the road. About the time I figured things out a NC State Trooper stopped to check on me. As I was leaving he told me just to throw the tread on the side of the road (so much for littering--gotta love NC).

The funny part to all of this is I had spoken to Doug (East Tx Skier) earlier in the trip (we speak telephonically pretty frequently) and he told me to keep an eye on the tires. As I'm changing my tire all I can think is Eastie jinxed me!! You know, you don't talk about flat tires or no hitters...c'mon Doug!! In his defense, he was kind enough to Google a Goodyear retailer near where I was and checked in on me a few times throughout the course of the trip. We found a hotel and in the morning I got two new tires and back on the road without issue.

The point to this long blabber, is that the axle on the MC trailers is already really low. When the tire goes it is almost on the ground. I thought I was well prepared with the floor jack. However, if I hadn't had the 4x4 to use in conjunction with the vehicle jack I would have had to call for help. Please use my bad experience as a lesson. Go take a look at your setup and give it some thought. Also, I'd be curious about other peoples experiences/suggestions.

Thx.

TMCNo1
08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
Small bottle jack and a couple 1' pieces of 2X4's to use also if you have to drive off or on a Bearing Buddy/rear seals and the list goes on and on. I learned the hard way in 1992 in my basement when I had to remove and replace the trailer axle, so I kept all the stuff and travel with it just in case.

Sodar
08-15-2008, 06:46 PM
Maybe it is because I had a tandem. but when I had a blowout on my '96 a floor jack fit under the axle just fine and I had no problem.

Ric
08-15-2008, 06:47 PM
Glad nobody was hurt and no major damage bri. I too confidently carry a floor jack in the truck box and never thought about the axle being too low if I lost the tire...:o

ski_king
08-15-2008, 06:56 PM
Sounds to me like Doug jinxed you.

Glad it worked out in the end and thanks for the good info.

Maybe I should look into getting a spare for my truck and trailer one of these days.....

tex
08-15-2008, 07:34 PM
I went through it last year while coming back from Austin. 2 lane road w/no shoulder and I was still on the crutches! It sucked! I always take a floor jack.

east tx skier
08-15-2008, 07:39 PM
Nice hockey puck, Brian. Sorry for the jinx several hours prior to that.

Fortunately, I had a floor jack, a bottle jack, and an understanding new owner (I was just the transport guy with money in my pocket at that point (Thanks Rod for splitting those tires with me!)). Unfortunately, the floor jack is useless until you can get the axle off the pavement. Bottle jack got the fender up. Old rim kept the axle off the ground for a minute. Floor jack did the rest. As I've been saying since this happened, if your Marathons are pre 2005, spend the money for the new layup or do as Brian's guy told him and go with something else. When I got my new to me boat, I made sure it had brand new Marathons (big farking tires, too) on it. Paid the seller a little more to do that for me.

Here's my hockey puck at Goodyear in Texarkana. BTW, Brian, yours looks much worse.

And a quick salute to all those cars who couldn't pull over into the left lane when passing me on I-30 that day. Your number one!

And a big thanks to Beau, who looked up a Goodyear dealer for me like I did for Brian.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4033.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4037.jpg

cwright
08-15-2008, 08:07 PM
I had a similar issue and resolved it the same way. I always carry two jacking devices now, and some wood blocks to compensate for road variances.

With a single axle trailer, you really need to be carfeul about overloading your trailer tires with weight. I bought the highest rated tailer tires I could find and I think they have a max load rating of 1370 lbs at 50 PSI. That would mean a total weight of 2740. Your boat probably weighs 2400 empty, plus gas, plus safety gear, then add the trailer weight (minus the tonque weight) and you are problably maxed out. I overloaded mine going camping and suffered a blowout. The other lesson learned was monitoring tire pressue while towing on a hot day. I left home in the am at 50 PSI and 65 degrees, and started driving through 100 degree sun, plus tire friction heat, and overpressurized my tires. I carry a gauge now and am surprised how many times I have to let some air out. Of course it means I need to add some back in when things cool off, but the big lesson learned was weight and heat. Fortunately the blowout at 70 MPH on a 100 degree day, did not produce any casualties or damage. This weight thing is why the tandem axle trailers are coveted. Four tires would equal 5,480 pounds, so you're free to load it up and still be under the weight limits.

cbryan70
08-15-2008, 08:40 PM
could always fill the tires with nitrogen, then "supposidy" you do not have to worrie about pressure varience in heat or cold

sethro
08-15-2008, 09:18 PM
I had a tread separate on mine recently. You didn't mention Brian, but was there any damage to the trailer fender? Mine did not separate completely at first, and smacked the fender repeatedly until it folded the part of the fender that sticks below the step. It was my "other" boat and not the MC, but it damaged the fender, scuffed the paint/pinstripes, and even scuffed the rubrail and one small sandable imperfection in the gelcoat of the boat. All of this after I started slowing down from 50mph as something didn't feel right. I estimate it separated at about 40-45mph, as I watched in dismay in my mirror. No damage to the rim which was good.

Luckily my jack fit under the axle, as I didn't even give that a thought.

brat
08-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Nice hockey puck, Brian. Sorry for the jinx several hours prior to that.

Fortunately, I had a floor jack, a bottle jack, and an understanding new owner (I was just the transport guy with money in my pocket at that point (Thanks Rod for splitting those tires with me!)). Unfortunately, the floor jack is useless until you can get the axle off the pavement. Bottle jack got the fender up. Old rim kept the axle off the ground for a minute. Floor jack did the rest. As I've been saying since this happened, if your Marathons are pre 2005, spend the money for the new layup or do as Brian's guy told him and go with something else. When I got my new to me boat, I made sure it had brand new Marathons (big farking tires, too) on it. Paid the seller a little more to do that for me.

Here's my hockey puck at Goodyear in Texarkana. BTW, Brian, yours looks much worse.

And a quick salute to all those cars who couldn't pull over into the left lane when passing me on I-30 that day. Your number one!

And a big thanks to Beau, who looked up a Goodyear dealer for me like I did for Brian.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4033.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/The%20Last%20Waltz/IMG_4037.jpg

Doug, what is that on the ski buddy in that pic ? It looks like a different material touching the boat.

BriEOD
08-16-2008, 12:17 AM
You didn't mention Brian, but was there any damage to the trailer fender?

Fortunately, not any damage.

Footin
08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Heck, looks like a can of fix-a-flat would have fixed it!

jimmer2880
08-16-2008, 02:23 AM
Heck, looks like a can of fix-a-flat would have fixed it!

Maybe not fix-a-flat... but definately slime would have helped :rolleyes:

glad you made it up safe and sound. Just in time for fall skiing. Look me up if you want to come up to the Potomac one weekend.

jraben8
08-16-2008, 03:50 AM
Doug, what is that on the ski buddy in that pic ? It looks like a different material touching the boat.

Some of us have glued carpet on the face of the buddy to minimize the scratches that can occur. It's really easy to do and it really helps. Doesn't hurt to spray some wax on the carpet also...

91ps190
08-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Some of us have glued carpet on the face of the buddy to minimize the scratches that can occur. It's really easy to do and it really helps. Doesn't hurt to spray some wax on the carpet also...

What do you use for glue???

BriEOD
08-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Epoxy on mine.

TMCNo1
08-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Original '89 red carpet, trimmed with black weave Velcro, and the carpet was glued with this, coat each and apply as contact cement, as per the directions on the can, been on it for over 10 years,

Gonzo
08-16-2008, 10:53 AM
sweet idea, I had been wondering about this myself. As to spraying wax on it, I use WD40 on the (cough, cough)seadoo ramp. would wax hold longer? I spray about every 3 or 4 weekends.

what kind of carpet? Bunker carpet or all weather from lowes?

JohnE
08-16-2008, 11:30 AM
Brian, glad that the situation worked out ok all in all. Thanks for sharing, because I always have the floor jack and some 2x4 blocks, but not a 2nd jack. I'm going to start bringing a bottle jack too from now on.

TMCNo1
08-16-2008, 11:52 AM
sweet idea, I had been wondering about this myself. As to spraying wax on it, I use WD40 on the (cough, cough)seadoo ramp. would wax hold longer? I spray about every 3 or 4 weekends.

what kind of carpet? Bunker carpet or all weather from lowes?

From past experience, WD 40 will tend to wash off more readily than spray wax, but never use silicone, cause it can penetrate the gelcoat and cause problems, I'm living proof of that with our first boat!

Bert
08-16-2008, 11:50 PM
From past experience, WD 40 will tend to wash off more readily than spray wax, but never use silicone, cause it can penetrate the gelcoat and cause problems, I'm living proof of that with our first boat!

hey #1, what will silicone do to the gelcoat?

TMCNo1
08-17-2008, 08:54 AM
hey #1, what will silicone do to the gelcoat?

I had the unique experience of getting tiny blisters in the gelcoat after saturating my bunks on a I/0 trailer with Armor-all and spray silicone. We trailered the boat only and once a year I treated the bunks and it blistered only in the area of the bunks.

east tx skier
08-17-2008, 09:56 PM

It's marine carpet to keep it from leaving black marks on the keel.

/ah, see that's been covered.

hardycm
08-18-2008, 11:05 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned use of an easy lift jack. I bought one after having a similar blow-out experience a few years back. It allows you to lift a trailer axle that is nearly on the ground. I've not had to use it to change a tire (am now properly inflating my tires), but did try it out once I bought it and it worked great. http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=71810&pdesc=Easy_Lift_Trailer_Jack&str=jack&merchID=1008&r=view

BriEOD
02-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Old thread, but with summer and road trips coming up this message is worth bumping again. Read and heed!

KnoxX2
02-26-2009, 04:50 PM
Brian did you have a bad dream last night?

BriEOD
02-26-2009, 04:55 PM
No, can't say that I did. In fact, how could I? I'm getting on a plane to go to the "happy place on Earth" (Disney World--where it is warm!!) here in about 3 hours.

No, was looking through my old threads for something and saw this. Thought it was a good reminder. It was one of my top 3 worst moments with a MC. I was so freaking pissed. Nothing like being eaten alive by insects in NC August weather off of I-95. High suck-factor.:mad:

dtc
02-22-2010, 12:15 AM
Question to you guys with the knowledge, experience, and wisdom ...

Tandem torsion axel trailers ... is it okay to jack from under the axle? Don't know why, but I thought it might bend/ruin the axle. Am I worried about nothing, or should I continue to try and jack from the trailer frame?

JohnE
02-22-2010, 09:25 AM
Definitely a thread worth bumping. I just reread and realize that I never did put a bottle jack in the mix.

Thrall
02-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Question to you guys with the knowledge, experience, and wisdom ...

Tandem torsion axel trailers ... is it okay to jack from under the axle? Don't know why, but I thought it might bend/ruin the axle. Am I worried about nothing, or should I continue to try and jack from the trailer frame?

I've had mine (tandem/torsion) up in the air more times than I care to already. Just put a floor jack under the axle with no problems. Torsion axles don't give much, so when I had a flat(s), I put a jack under the axle that still had a good tire and the flat tire axle came right up with it allowing me to change the tire. No need for a low clearance jack, etc with the torsion/tandem axle combo that I see.

russlars
02-22-2010, 10:33 AM
The other lesson learned was monitoring tire pressue while towing on a hot day. I left home in the am at 50 PSI and 65 degrees, and started driving through 100 degree sun, plus tire friction heat, and overpressurized my tires. I carry a gauge now and am surprised how many times I have to let some air out. Of course it means I need to add some back in when things cool off...

Can we have an official ruling on this??? I have always heard that with tires you fill them to the proper pressure when cold and do not adjust down when hot. At least this is what applies to car/truck tires. Is this different with trailer tires since they run at a higher PSI?:confused:

dtc
02-22-2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks Thrall! Appreciate the advice.

CruisinGA
02-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Trailer tires-
Always fill to max cold pressure listed on sidewall.

Replace every 4 years. Age is more important than miles with trailer tires. If you don't trailer other than a couple miles to the ramp, I wouldn't sweat it.

BriEOD
02-23-2010, 06:24 PM
Can we have an official ruling on this??? I have always heard that with tires you fill them to the proper pressure when cold and do not adjust down when hot. At least this is what applies to car/truck tires. Is this different with trailer tires since they run at a higher PSI?:confused:

This has been discussed at length over the years. Fill to specified psi on tire and leave it alone. In fact, I've seen some point out that an under inflated tire actually has the potential to become hotter than a properly inflated tire.

TX.X-30 fan
02-23-2010, 06:39 PM
This has been discussed at length over the years. Fill to specified psi on tire and leave it alone. In fact, I've seen some point out that an under inflated tire actually has the potential to become hotter than a properly inflated tire.

If the site has sufficient hard drive space left we could get JimN to expound on your theory. :D

BriEOD
06-17-2012, 01:01 AM
As we are into the summer and folks are towing more frequently, this is an excellent lesson learned that everyone can benefit from. BUMP.

Latin Flyer
06-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Best invention EVER

http://www.basspro.com/Quick-Change-Trailer-Jack/product/9071/104498

Dont leave home without it!

Philscbx
06-17-2012, 08:27 AM
BriEOD Fill to specified psi on tire and leave it alone.
In fact, under inflated tire actually has the potential to become hotter than a properly inflated tire.
If the site has sufficient hard drive space left we could get JimN to expound on your theory. :DIf there's any doubt - over pressure will ride hard - an under pressure / squatting tire will always blow.
Sidewall's squat if checked exit to exit - may not be able to touch with bare hand.