PDA

View Full Version : Re-Carpet

wesgardner
04-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Hey All,

I might try my hand at re-carpeting...I've looked at how my boat's done, some of the places are going to have to be cut and butted as I'm not going to remove side panels, etc.

I've got a ski locker hatch and another hatch up forward that also acts as a wind break - question - these things fit VERY snuggly, does anyone have recommendations on carpet weight? My concern is, if I go with the "best"/heaviest, will it be too tight around the hatches so they won't close?

Anyone who has recarpetting experience, I'd love to hear....I've looked at boatcarpetonline.com, they seem to be a good source...

From the pic, you can see beside the motor the carpet's worn right thru to the 'glass...sorry about the blue tint - I was still working "under the big top" at the time.

Wes

JEREMY79
04-27-2005, 08:30 AM
I re carpeted mine. There is nothing to it.

wesgardner
05-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Anyone else have any carpet tips?

Wes

6ballsisall
05-03-2005, 02:31 PM
Ask Mag Red, he helped with mine, you'd think he did it for a living! Big Help! My back panel that goes over the shaft and rudder cables fits tight too, you just have to work it in there AFTER the glue has completely setup. I got my carpet from Lowes and chose the kind that has a more flexible type backing. It really wasn't to bad to install.

MarkP
05-03-2005, 02:32 PM
Jeremy

Didnít I see a step by step, of sorts of your carpet install? I donít remember what thread that was??

MarkP
05-03-2005, 02:34 PM
Oops

Maybe that was Jrandols . Anyway, I thought I saw a recent step by step:confused:

Cloaked
05-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Jeremy

Didn’t I see a step by step, of sorts of your carpet install? I don’t remember what thread that was??

I had inquired in one thread a few weeks back and someone was kind enough to elaborate in a step-by-step scenario. It's here somewhere.

<< Search Feature >> is a wonderful thAAng!! :woohoo:

Mag_Red
05-03-2005, 11:44 PM
Right here starting on page 5 (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1957) :wavey:

Cloaked
05-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Right here starting on page 5 (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=1957) :wavey:Mag... yEr kEElin' me.... Page 3... :D :D
Sporty I can help you with the installation. Cut a 6' x 12' section in half length wise so you have (2) 3'x12" pieces. Remove the two center panels in the floor, you will cover these seperately. YOu should now have two straight edges running up along both sides of the engine. Lay the carpet out so the one side will wrap the edge of the open compartments in the boat. (one behind the engine and one infront of the engine) Glue the carpet from the inside and work out towards the sides of the boat. Do the floor first, then fold the carpet onto itself, glue the sides, and then work the remaining carpet up the sides. Make sense??? :wavey:

wesgardner
05-05-2005, 08:36 AM
Hey All,

Yep, thanks for ALL the input...I need to look at where I can seam mine...my bow section is raised a couple inches so there's a natural break but the main cockpit area, I'll need to re-examine...I don't want to run up the sides as they are separate but a REALLY big job to remove (as in taking EVERYTHING out...) so a good tight butt seam against the side panels may work nicely...I like the look of the stuff from boatcarpetonline and have ordered a sample so we'll see waht's up there. I understand getting the old up can be anywhere from very painfully scraping every inch to just pulling it up...my real concerns are the opening for the ski locker top and the wind block as these have to actually open and close on a regular basis. The "floor boards" are tight now and will just be tight with the new carpet???

BTW, I ALWAYS try Search Feature FIRST but came up wit ha whole lot of stuff that wasn't carpet install stuff...

Wes

Cloaked
05-24-2005, 08:47 PM
Did you get yEr carpet installed?