PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosic computer/Code Reader

Sodar
08-15-2008, 04:08 PM
I was wondering what it would take to make my laptop be able to read the codes on my engine. When I took it to my dealer for an issue I was having, the dealer pulled out a standard Windows PC LapTop with a cord and a program. What cord and program do I need?

As a breif explanation, I have gotten 2 Check Engine Messages in 3 months. The first time was a loose connection behind the dash that was causing the alarm. The second was a throttle triangulation code that was thrown when I disconnected my throttle cable because the connector did not look like it was seated correctly. Neither have been big deals, but with the buzzer going off, the check engine on the multi-display and the stereo not being able to be used, it renders the boat useless.

Where I boat is about 3 hours from the nearest dealer and am only able to use the boat on weekends. When these 2 events happened, I put the boat on the trailer, brough the boat home, drug the boat 2 hours to the dealer to find he just cleared the codes in the parking lot, ran the boat and everything was good to go. I want to get something like this that can look at what the hell is actually going on and be a little more descriptive than "Check Engine" If the code is not life threatening, engine disabling, etc. I want to have the ability to clear the code and go on enjoying my weekend.

What do I need to get to make this happen.

BOATNGUYNE
08-15-2008, 04:51 PM
These are only available for Indmar/Mastercraft dealers... you as a consumer would not be able to purchase this system to install on your pc.... Its called the diacom diagnostic system.

BOATNGUYNE
08-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Then again..... It would be nice to see the consumer have something like this. It
would help service department's clear time on the schedule to help out a more "in need of"
service customer

cbryan70
08-15-2008, 06:43 PM
http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm

not to hard to buy one......

cbryan70
08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
or i guess i could copy the program from the one at work.....they have the cd. ill have to check. I beleive that yo uwill need to get the correct plug in for it

Sodar
08-15-2008, 06:49 PM
or i guess i could copy the program from the one at work.....they have the cd. ill have to check. I beleive that yo uwill need to get the correct plug in for it

The software is no problem. Now that I know what program to use. The problem is the connector. I would not think the Indmar has their own proprietary adapter, but what do I know? :confused:

Answer: Very Little! :o

jwroblew
08-15-2008, 06:55 PM
Were did they hook up to the engine?

Sodar
08-15-2008, 06:59 PM
They hook up to it on my direct drive above the transmission where the ECU is.

cbryan70
08-15-2008, 07:08 PM
well they have gm connectors i would assume that is what you would want to go with

cbryan70
08-15-2008, 07:09 PM
next time you go in there ask them if you can take a look at the adapter.

TMCNo1
08-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Thank God we have a older boat, all it takes is a Captain Marvel Decoder to figure out what's wrong with it which is very seldom, if ever!

JimN
08-15-2008, 07:50 PM
"The second was a throttle triangulation code that was thrown when I disconnected my throttle cable because the connector did not look like it was seated correctly."

Care to explain that one? Connector on the Throttle Position Sensor or the cable that connects to the control at the helm? Disconnecting the cable that is controlled from the helm will not cause a code. If the TPS is disconnected when the key is ON (don't disconnect or connect anything when the key is ON), it should go away when the harness is connected again. If not, disconnect the battery negative for a few minutes and re-connect it.

Throttle triangulation? It's a potentiometer.

M-Funf
08-15-2008, 07:58 PM
well they have gm connectors i would assume that is what you would want to go with

Is it a standard OBDII connector? If so, you could go with a product that I bought and use on my car:

Auterra Scan Tool (http://www.auterraweb.com/scantools.html)

I use it with my Palm (Treo) which makes it more portable.

Sodar
08-15-2008, 08:36 PM
"The second was a throttle triangulation code that was thrown when I disconnected my throttle cable because the connector did not look like it was seated correctly."

Care to explain that one? Connector on the Throttle Position Sensor or the cable that connects to the control at the helm? Disconnecting the cable that is controlled from the helm will not cause a code. If the TPS is disconnected when the key is ON (don't disconnect or connect anything when the key is ON), it should go away when the harness is connected again. If not, disconnect the battery negative for a few minutes and re-connect it.

Throttle triangulation? It's a potentiometer.

This one was completely and totally my mistake. I had the key turned the wrong direction because I had the stereo on while I was cleaning the bilge and detailing the engine. I looked at the connector going to the throttle on the engine and it looked like it was not seated correctly, so I disconnected it and reconnected it. No alarm until I got out to the lake. I did disconnect the battery, but to no avail the Check Engine was still there. I ended up running the boat for 3 warm-up and complete cool down cycles until it cleared itself and then had the alarm cleared at the dealer when I got back home.

JimN
08-15-2008, 10:05 PM
Did you get the connector wet? When you detail a motor using water, never have the key ON, and always use compressed air to blow any water from all of the plugs and connectors. Yeah, they're weatherproof but once you open it when it's wet, that ends. Unplug the TPS and look at the terminals- if they or the sensor have any water in them, blow it out. Then, if you have a meter, check the voltage on the Blue and Gray wires, by using a stick pin or a T pin to back-probe them one at a time. The blue should have about 4.5-5VDC and the gray should be about .7VDC at idle and about 4.8VDC at WOT. You can check this with the key ON and the motor not running. If you see more than that on the gray wire, the TPS may be damaged. If you see no voltage on the blue wire, you're not going to like where the problem is.

Sodar
08-16-2008, 12:11 AM
No water was used. Just waxed the bilge and used armor-all on the hoses.

Boat ran great for 8 days and the dealer said everything was fine.

I am just trying to find a way to diagnose the problems on my own without the 120+ mile drive to the dealer.

JimN
08-16-2008, 12:46 AM
If you use an OBD I scan tool, you can check the codes and at least know which sensor input is causing it.

chico
08-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Go here for scan programs and cables,www.obd2 diagnostics/mefi burn.com.

JimN
08-17-2008, 11:51 AM
A '97 is OBD I. That link doesn't work, either.

Sodar
08-17-2008, 12:05 PM
What does a '97 have to do with it?

JimN
08-17-2008, 12:57 PM
I forgot you have a newer boat.

I'm sorry, never mind.

chico
08-17-2008, 05:35 PM
Sorry for that link,google mefi tune and burn,that is the place I bought my laptop scanner program,it comes with a CD and cable,a 97 should have a mefi2 ecm,these are obd1 cables,obd2 connectors will not work.$200.00 for the package.

JimN
08-17-2008, 06:12 PM
I was wrong when I mentioned the '97 but MC they were definitely not OBDII. They were still OBDI when I was at MC training in late '00.

93Prostar190
02-21-2009, 10:59 PM
Did anyone ever find a good scanner yet? I am interested in pulling codes from an mcx.

BOATNGUYNE
02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
I think Sodar needs the MEFI-5 Can Adapter ?? MC dealers go thru Rinda Technologies Inc...Not sure if they sell them to a Non-Authorized MC dealer or not ??

chico
02-22-2009, 10:05 AM
You can buy these programs from Mefi-burn.com,they come with a disk and cable,just tell Bob which Mefi controller you have.

Sodar
06-08-2010, 01:26 AM
You can buy these programs from Mefi-burn.com,they come with a disk and cable,just tell Bob which Mefi controller you have.

Has anyone ever done this? I am really interested to know if it works!

JimN
06-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Has anyone ever done this? I am really interested to know if it works!

It can be done but to do the programming correctly, the person doing the testing and program changes (if any) needs to know how to interpret the data. MC calibrates the ECM based on the specific hull and various loads, not just a few guesses or generalizations.

Sodar
06-08-2010, 11:02 AM
It can be done but to do the programming correctly, the person doing the testing and program changes (if any) needs to know how to interpret the data. MC calibrates the ECM based on the specific hull and various loads, not just a few guesses or generalizations.

I am not looking to program anything. Just get a better idea of if the "Check Engine" alarm means more than a low battery, etc. I remember while standing over the tech's shoulder that there was a screen with a list of active/inactive alarms. I'd pretty much be happy to just see what the exact alarm is, rather than "Check Engine". Maybe with the advancements in MC's Glass Dash, the alarms can be a little more descriptive. It would be cool to know what is going on with the motor rather than dragging it to a dealer so they could tell you it wasn't really anything.

JimN
06-08-2010, 01:57 PM
I am not looking to program anything. Just get a better idea of if the "Check Engine" alarm means more than a low battery, etc. I remember while standing over the tech's shoulder that there was a screen with a list of active/inactive alarms. I'd pretty much be happy to just see what the exact alarm is, rather than "Check Engine". Maybe with the advancements in MC's Glass Dash, the alarms can be a little more descriptive. It would be cool to know what is going on with the motor rather than dragging it to a dealer so they could tell you it wasn't really anything.

I have seen Tech1 diagnostic computers on ebay several times and since they aren't widely used anymore (Tech2 has a larger screen to display data), they're not very expensive. If you can find a marine card to go with it, you'd be able to get the data, function'park the IAC, go into diagnostic mode for setting/verifying timing, etc.