PDA

View Full Version : Fan Clutch

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 07:18 AM
Off topic question here.

I believe the fan clutch on my 88 Chevy 1500 has seen it's better days and needs replaced.

To get a decent quality clutch - I'm looking at $80.00. However - I can get a cheap electric fan for $150. A high quality for $300.

I've heard that when you ditch the belt driven fan for an electric one, you gain 15 hp. That number sounds awfully hight. But - my point is this: What kind of gas mileage change would that equal? Also, are the cheap $150.00 fans any good, or should I not even think about those? If that's the case, then I'll probably just replace the fan clutch & keep it stock.

I'm sure someone else on this board has done something similiar that can share their experiences.

JimN
04-27-2005, 07:27 AM
15HP for losing a fan is a bit optimistic for a couple of reasons. First, if you're driving fast enough to reach the peak HP of the motor, the air coming at the fan would help it spin, negating the drag. Also, once the fan clutch releases, there isn't much drag, anyway.

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 11:25 AM
15HP for losing a fan is a bit optimistic for a couple of reasons. First, if you're driving fast enough to reach the peak HP of the motor, the air coming at the fan would help it spin, negating the drag. Also, once the fan clutch releases, there isn't much drag, anyway.

I agree that it sounded a bit much. But - didn't want to base my choice on an "that doesnt' sound right"

especially when there are so many very knowledgeable people here.

Ric
04-27-2005, 12:05 PM
never done one but have "heard" that others say it improves mileage and it's very nice to not have the fan roar of your current clutch fan.