PDA

View Full Version : Bouncing Oil Pressure Gauge

Andy1
08-14-2008, 10:42 PM
I have a Mastercraft X-star, 2000 with the LTR engine.
My oil pressure gauge has been bouncing for years....
I am guessing that the sending unit is bad.
Where is this located? is there a picture?
How do you get the replacement part and what is the part #?
I read a post (cant find it now) about a guy with the same engine with the same problem!
Is this a common problem?
Any help would be great!

Tom023
08-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Most likely the sending unit. It's located just to the left of where the distributor would be. In the picture below (not great but best picture I have), it's the black "can" with the red rubber boot on top just to the left of the silver circular plug in the middle. The unit is a Datcon 02504-00, you can find it on the Internet for about $22.

I hooked up a mechanical gauge and the readings were much more stable. I haven't put the new sending unit in to see if solves the problem. If not, I will install a permanent mechanical gauge.

Use two wrenches to remove the old unit, one to hold the brass fitting in the block and the second to turn the sender. If not, you may break the fitting off in the block like I did. It's easier to get access by removing the top of the intake manifold first.

Kingsley X-1
08-20-2008, 10:43 PM
i had a similar problem in one of my old boats. it had bad corrosion inside of the ring connector on the back of the guage. i cut the wire installed a new ring terminal cleaned the post on the back of the gauge and poof it was fixed. or it might be loose on the gauge side or the sending unit side...dunno if this helps

airwear
08-20-2008, 10:57 PM
This year I am getting exactly the same problem on my 2000 LTR. Thanks for posting the picture, I am going to play with the connections first and then I will look to replace the unit.

dummy
08-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Yup. My '00 LTR does the same thing. Drives me nuts, but I trust it's got good pressure.

Thanks for the sending unit & gauge contact info. If I ever get my boat back from the dealership I'll check for the corrosion and maybe toss a new sending unit in there.