PDA

View Full Version : MC Trailer Actuator Replacement

nuckinfutz
08-14-2008, 01:18 PM
Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the actuator on a MC Trailer? In case anyones asks, I would like to replace the whole actuator assembly for a few reasons.

1. The break-away cable has broke away (bought it that way). I gone into MC to replace and have bought 2 different cables and both have been the wrong ones.

2. Somehow someway one of the pins (the one that pushes the actuator) came out of the assembly.

3. I like the UFP actuators. I have had good experience with them in the past. Im open to other opinions though.

Current one,

http://zeluorganics.com/media/images/old.jpg

New one I would like to put on,

http://zeluorganics.com/media/images/new.jpg

east tx skier
08-14-2008, 01:21 PM
www.trailersbydorsey.com has an online parts catalog. Jeff, the parts guy, is great to deal with. Prices are so low, my dealer just directs people directly to Dorsey for parts.

nuckinfutz
08-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Does anyone know the actuator manufacture MC used for my trailer? I would like to call an expert and ask about what it would take to convert over. I guess my questions would be about brake line sizes and if there are differences, will this affect the braking power (causing more/less surge)?

04 X-Star

Sodar
08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Are you still in SD or did you go back up to the NW?

I am not certain who the manufacturer of the actuator is, but I am positive you can install a UFP actuator and not have to change any other components. I were you, I would just buy a new actuator and leave it be.

With that said, UFP offers a bolt on actuator tube and actuator that could be installed easily, but will cost you about $500 to do. If I were you, I would give UFP a call (If you are still in SD, they are in San Marcos) and ask them what they think. My guess is that the original Manufacturer is not going to be too helpful about switching to a different company! :D

TMCNo1
08-14-2008, 01:46 PM
Does anyone know the actuator manufacture MC used for my trailer? I would like to call an expert and ask about what it would take to convert over. I guess my questions would be about brake line sizes and if there are differences, will this affect the braking power (causing more/less surge)?

04 X-Star

It should be stamped somewhere on the actuator housing or you can Google, "Trailer Brake Actuators". Also, Northern Tool, Tractor Supply has several different actuators in stock and even your local utility trailer sales, service and repair shop has the catalogues to find a replacement.

If your interested, in the enclosed type like the UFP actuator, these people,http://www.ufpnet.com/ can guide you on what to get and where to get the pieces.

mayo93prostar
08-14-2008, 01:54 PM
I replaced the inner part of the actuator on my 93 single axle trailer with parts from Dorsey Trailers (better price than from UFP distributor). One key parameter to define is if you have single axle or dual axle. Call Dorsey or local guy and they should be able to help you. I am with you, replace the whole thing if you have had problems with current one.

nuckinfutz
08-14-2008, 02:02 PM
Are you still in SD or did you go back up to the NW?
:D
Im back up here in the great NW. Long story short... the start up company I joined didn't do too well!

I am not certain who the manufacturer of the actuator is, but I am positive you can install a UFP actuator and not have to change any other components. I were you, I would just buy a new actuator and leave it be. :D

I would still have to try to locate the break-away cable (hopefully 3rd time would be a charm). Im hoping to just replace the whole tongue assembly and be done with it all.

Thank you East for the link. it looks like UFP actuator assembly should be around $200

bturner2
08-15-2008, 09:20 AM
The actuator in the picture looks like a Reliable, It should have an "R" stamped on it somewhere. I was able to get a break away cable for my Reliable coupler from Waymires (http://www.waymires.com), great customer service, fair pricing. I'm no lover of the Reliable coupler and looked into changing back to the UFP coupler like the one I had on my 95 200VRS trailer. No way without replacing the whole front section or cutting the tube and welding on a new one, at least on my rig. My coupler tube is welded, not bolted on like I believe yours is. The pin holes don't line up and the Relaible coupler has a seperate actuator and master cylinder. If you can bolt on a new one I vote for the UFP and wouldn't spend anymore time with the Reliable.

nuckinfutz
08-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I looked at it last night and I'm not bolted either. Looks like I will have to cut and weld to change to a different coupler/actuator. I think for simplicity sake I will stick with what I have.

Thank you gents for your kind replies.

2000XPSD
08-18-2008, 12:38 PM
Has anyone had the pleasure of replacing the actuator on a MC Trailer? In case anyones asks, I would like to replace the whole actuator assembly for a few reasons.

1. The break-away cable has broke away (bought it that way). I gone into MC to replace and have bought 2 different cables and both have been the wrong ones.

2. Somehow someway one of the pins (the one that pushes the actuator) came out of the assembly.

3. I like the UFP actuators. I have had good experience with them in the past. Im open to other opinions though.

Current one,

http://zeluorganics.com/media/images/old.jpg

New one I would like to put on,

That is an Titan Aero-6000 that you have on there. If it's the arm you need thats like $10 i think...thats what usually breaks. The cable is 4501300 for a part number from titan...call Brett equipment 708-385-2030, they are good with parts for titans'. You can make your own cable with commom Lowes supplies...no prob.

KHall
09-02-2008, 09:40 PM
I have this same setup on my 2003 x-2. The actuator needs replacement and the swingaway is too expensive. Does anyone know if i can just cut off the hinge and use the "cheap" bolt on aero-600 coupler. Would the tongue then be too short, or is the swing tongue a longer trailer because of the hinge?

2000XPSD
09-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I have this same setup on my 2003 x-2. The actuator needs replacement and the swingaway is too expensive. Does anyone know if i can just cut off the hinge and use the "cheap" bolt on aero-600 coupler. Would the tonque then be too short, or is the swing tonque a longer trailer because of the hinge?

just replace the guts, unless you bent it all up of course...way cheaper than a new swingaway...f that. <$150 for all the guts i'd say. pretty easy to do too.

KHall
09-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Unfortunately the outer coupler pins holes are "reamed out" this is what is allowing the guts to rub and destroy themselves. It appears to me that MC just welds the hinge onto the tongue instead of welding the non-swing away actuator on. So i could just cut off the hinge and weld on the $160 replacement coupler. If i bolt the replacement it on i loose another 4" of overlap, but this too appears to be possible.

Note: the replacement coupler for the Titan Aero-6000 is the Titan Aero-7500.

Cheapest: Cut off swing hinge and bolt on the replacement coupler. $160 Loose the most length and swing away capability.

Next Cheapest: Cut off swing hinge and weld on the replacement coupler. $160 + welding. This looses less length and the swing away capability.

Worst case: Order replacement Aero-7500 swing away kit and replace at hinge bolt. This is a bolt on swing away actuator with the entire hinge. Will be throwing away the trailer side of the hinge. $250. This retains trailer tongue length and swing away. If the hinge doesn't match then i am going to cut off old hinge and bolt on the entire new swing away assembly.

KHall
09-17-2008, 09:37 PM
OK, the saga continues. This project has been a real pain.

The replacement Aero-7500 swing away only comes for 3"x5" trailer tongue, mine is 3"x4". Sent this back.

New Plan:
Cut old coupler off of the "mastercraft" swing hinge. The factory coupler is a titan coupler with two plates welded to it. Will be welding a 7" long piece 3x4" tube steel for a tongue on the "mastercraft" hinge plates. Then drill holes and use a bolt on replacement coupler/actuator. This retains factory swing away trailer tongue and allows for easy coupler replacement. The tongue will be overall 2" longer. Ordered a "bolt-on" aero-7500 coupler assembly. Bought the one w/o reverse solenoid because I was in hurry and going to reuse the old solenoid. The master cylinder is different because the solenoid is a 3 way valve and vents back the master cylinder reservoir, opps. Will now be just using my old master cylinder since it fits and is fine. It was the coupler body and pins that was totally beat. Titan replacement coupler w/ solenoid is probably about $220. The dealer part is like $380, obviously this would have been the easiest route.

bainez23
09-17-2008, 10:51 PM
i have a 2033 trailer with a ufp actuator and the safety cable was pulled out a little to far and watched on there website that i can install a clip in front of the ball but how do i get the cable back in where it belongs and do i have to replace anything else?http://ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

TMCNo1
09-17-2008, 11:20 PM
i have a 2033 trailer with a ufp actuator and the safety cable was pulled out a little to far and watched on there website that i can install a clip in front of the ball but how do i get the cable back in where it belongs and do i have to replace anything else?http://ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx

Page 7 gives the instruction and you can get the clips from UFP and some local trailer stores that sell and service UFP products.

bainez23
09-18-2008, 05:00 PM
thanks for the help worked out great