PDA

View Full Version : Oil Pan Questions

wakescene
08-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi all,
It looks like I have to replace my oil pan due to some issues around the drain plug. Without going into a whole explanation, I had some simple questions I hope a few can answer.

Specs:
2001 Maristar 210 / 330HP LTR Motor / Hurth Trans
1. Can the oil pan be removed without pulling the motor?
2. To Temporarily patch an oil leak at the drain plug, what do you suggest?
3. Anyone know a good publisher? I'll be putting out a book on boating in saltwater and need to know where to start on the book tour!

Thanks

JimN
08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
"To Temporarily patch an oil leak at the drain plug, what do you suggest?"

I wouldn't recommend this. Murphy's Law, ya know.

You have to at least lift it high enough to clear the pistons, so the exhaust hoses need to be removed from the elbows, the cables, harness, raw water hoses and battery cables need to be disconnected from the motor and if you use tape to mark where the motor mounts are, reinstalling it without re-aligning should be easy enough. Place the tape right next to the base of the mounts, unbolt the transmission and if you have access to a chain hoist, use that.

It's not fun but it's not the worst job to do.

Skipper
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
1. Can the oil pan be removed without pulling the motor?
2. To Temporarily patch an oil leak at the drain plug, what do you suggest?
3. Anyone know a good publisher? I'll be putting out a book on boating in saltwater and need to know where to start on the book tour! Thanks

1. No
2. I used Marinetex to repair the oil pan on my previous boat because where the dipstick was fused to the pan it was leaking. Worked so good I didn't have to replace the pan. Later I pulled the engine to do some work on the floor and stringers and I took care of it then.
3. Be sure to devote a chapter to the characters on this website!;)

JimN
08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
"3. Be sure to devote a chapter to the characters on this website!"

And, what's that supposed to mean?:confused:

rob935
08-14-2008, 04:15 PM
i would say you should replace the pan i wouldnt even try to repair it as it would be a complete waste of time !! you pan is obviously corroded and once it starts to leak there is no stopping it ..

you may be able to replace the pan without removing the engine but you would have to disconnect the shaft and hoist/jack the engine and transmission up slightly to slide the old one off and get the new one in place..

wakescene
08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
I got this temp repair completed. Ended up using some Evercoat Putty for the repair.
Was able to get a mirror under there and found that yes, the pas is corroded and leaking outside of the drain plug. The leak is contained! (no EPA issues now) What a hassle job too...