PDA

View Full Version : Help! Loose pylon '88 PS 190

hardycm
08-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Greetings -- its been a while since my last post, as all has been working well until a friend recently remarked about how much my pylon moves when I'm skiing.

So, I dug into it and found that the cross member that supports the pylon is loose and that two of the four bolts connecting the cross member to the frame on the port side were missing. The other two were loose. I pulled the existing bolts out (3/8", fine thread -- surprisingly) and found them to be pretty banged up, so bought new bolts, ran a tap into the hole to clean up the existing threads, and was able to get two of the four bolts in. The other two stripped out. So I think I need to drill and re-tap the holes.

Now for the questions:

Does anyone know what these bolts anchor to? I suspect there is a steel member on each side of the engine that runs the length of the boat and that the pylon and motor mounts all anchor to this. Is this accurate? How thick is this member? I'm trying to get an idea of how much thread I'm working with.

If anyone out there has done similar work on an '88 I'd love to know how you got to this area. Currently I'm working through the bilge access, which means I can't see what I'm doing. At first I thought I could remove a floorboard to get to that, but now it looks virtually impossible to remove that board unless I literally remove the top half of the boat from the bottom half. Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chuck

Monte
08-13-2008, 09:17 AM
Had the same issue a couple years ago. Those bolts are anchored in wood. The simple fix I used has lasted two full seasons thus far with no signs of weakening.

Drill the holes out a little further to "clean" them up. Pour some epoxy into the holes, and poke some toothpicks in as well. Let it all set up then break or cut the rest of the toothpicks off flush. Pre-drill a proper size hole a little smaller (in diameter) than the bolt. Bolt it down and you should be good.

hardycm
08-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. I'm surprised its wood. Are you saying the bolt itself threads into wood, or that there is a t-nut or some other nut that is anchored in wood (and maybe spinning as it gets loose). I'm not trying to sound like a doubter, but when I ran my tap into the holes, I got metal flakes out, so assumed there was some metal my bolt was threaded into. What year boat did you do this fix on.

Monte
08-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Mine is an 86. Maybe there is a little difference, but it cant be much. Is the bolt you have a wood bolt or a machine bolt? Pictures would be a big plus..

mayo93prostar
08-13-2008, 10:20 AM
I think there is metal there since wood stringers went out around 82/83. It should be a piece of angle iron laid in the fiberglass similar to what is back under the engine mounts. I recommend drilling and tapping out to the next size up bolt, i.e. 5/16" if you have enough material left. Use stainless bolts to avoid corrosion. I do not have idea of how to acess. I thought in that year hull there was an access panel in the middle near the pylon but it went under the passenger seat base so it was bear to get out. good luck.

hardycm
08-13-2008, 11:11 AM
Mine are machine bolts, not wood screws. Regarding drilling and tapping -- I'm also concerned that all the pulling has worn the hole into a bit of an oval, as a couple of the bolts go in at an angle, not straight. If this were a 1" thick piece of steel, I wouldn't be worried -- if its simply a 1/4 thick piece of angle stock, I could be in trouble. If I could only get to the other side and put a through bolt in it, I'd be set. Unfortunately there is lake on the other side of this piece :)

Monte
08-13-2008, 11:22 AM
Can you make some pictures of it?

TMCNo1
08-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Greetings -- its been a while since my last post, as all has been working well until a friend recently remarked about how much my pylon moves when I'm skiing.

So, I dug into it and found that the cross member that supports the pylon is loose and that two of the four bolts connecting the cross member to the frame on the port side were missing. The other two were loose. I pulled the existing bolts out (3/8", fine thread -- surprisingly) and found them to be pretty banged up, so bought new bolts, ran a tap into the hole to clean up the existing threads, and was able to get two of the four bolts in. The other two stripped out. So I think I need to drill and re-tap the holes.

Now for the questions:

Does anyone know what these bolts anchor to? I suspect there is a steel member on each side of the engine that runs the length of the boat and that the pylon and motor mounts all anchor to this. Is this accurate? How thick is this member? I'm trying to get an idea of how much thread I'm working with.

If anyone out there has done similar work on an '88 I'd love to know how you got to this area. Currently I'm working through the bilge access, which means I can't see what I'm doing. At first I thought I could remove a floorboard to get to that, but now it looks virtually impossible to remove that board unless I literally remove the top half of the boat from the bottom half. Has anyone solved this problem?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Chuck

Since there should be a galvanized steel plate or angle cast/layed up in the fiberglass stringer and it is threaded where the bolt was inserted and the threads are damaged beyond repair, a HeliCoil, http://www.helicoil.in/helicoil.htm , for the original size bolt hole as original can be inserted into the hole drilled to the correct size as directed in the HeliCoil package. They can be purchased at most any auto parts store, cause they can be used anywhere new threads are needed. Take one of the good original bolts with you to get the correct size!

chico
08-13-2008, 06:18 PM
check out this threadhttp://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=4655&highlight=loose+pylon,mine did the same thing,since I fixed itit has not budged,went up a size to 7/16 bolts