PDA

View Full Version : Teak Wood Recipe??

Aaronhebert88
08-13-2008, 02:13 AM
I bought a 1996 prostar 190 this past weekend. the previous owner said the oiled the platform with a mixture of 1 gal Thompson's water seal, 1 qt transmission fluid, and 2 qt linseed oil. has anyone ever used this mixture. he gave me the remainder of his concoction, should i keep using it, or strip and refinish with a true teak oil. The wood looks great, i just don't want any problems down the road..http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/aaronhebert88/IMG_1749.jpg

Skipper
08-13-2008, 06:31 AM
That is crazy, sounds like something a cavalryman drinks at a ball. I only use teak oil, teak oil gold. I use the boat at least three times a week. Just rub the oil in after each use. The teak looks great. I would not use a sealer on teak.

ski_king
08-13-2008, 08:27 AM
I think somebody who will remain nameless (TMCNo.1) will have something to say about this soon.

I would not use it as I dont like the idea obout the sealer part.

I did some research recently and found that both types of StarBrite and most other teak oils are a mixture of Linseed Oil and Kerosene.

andyhoyt
08-13-2008, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=Angry_Bill;528641]That is crazy, sounds like something a cavalryman drinks at a ball.

Throw in some cherry pie filling.....makes it taste better going down...wait, what are we talking about?!!!!:D:rolleyes:

kev88
08-13-2008, 09:14 AM
I would say if he's been doing this since 1996 and it's in good condition (looks like it) then you're ok.

Gonzo
08-13-2008, 09:30 AM
I think somebody who will remain nameless (TMCNo.1) will have something to say about this soon.

I would not use it as I dont like the idea obout the sealer part.

I did some research recently and found that both types of StarBrite and most other teak oils are a mixture of Linseed Oil and Kerosene.

The name of which we dare not speak...... :)

As to the sealer part, that is one of the selling points of the white bottle starbrite I think ( the one will comment soon). But I think part of the love was the sealer.

JohnE
08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I may need to wake our buddy up with a phone call....................:shocked:

But I don't see anything wrong with the homemade concoction. The water sealer will help keep the oil from washing away so quickly. The problem with just oiling a platform is that the excess oil which makes the platform look so good washes off in practically one use.

Aaronhebert88
08-13-2008, 10:11 AM
thanks guys.. he had actually said he had read it on the mc website, but there is no telling with the wealth of info on the Internet..

ttu
08-13-2008, 10:25 AM
i have seen that recipe somewhere:confused: can remember.

i use the unknown name person's instructions and mine looks great.:rolleyes:

oh and nice boat by the way.

ProTour X9
08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
How should I clean my teak?

Regular cleaning and oiling of teak wood will maintain its original appearance. Use a teak cleaner that can penetrate the pores of the wood and cleanse them of dirt and stains. Avoid caustic teak cleaners since they can damage the wood. Immediately after cleaning, an oil sealer should be applied with a soft cloth. Allow a couple of hours for the oil to soak into the wood and apply a second coat. Wipe off excess oil to prevent a varnish look.

Got this from the MC site......

etakk7
08-13-2008, 10:52 AM
I use the Starbrite Teak Oil and Sealer - great results, I only have to do it once a year (about 100 hrs per year on the boat)

ProTour X9
08-13-2008, 11:09 AM
I printed out the instructions from 'he who must not be named' last night for my dad, he had a few words to say about 'him'; eventually I convinced him to let me do it; now if we'd ever stop using our boat!

Sodar
08-13-2008, 11:51 AM
I bought a 1996 prostar 190 this past weekend. the previous owner said the oiled the platform with a mixture of 1 gal Thompson's water seal, 1 qt transmission fluid, and 2 qt linseed oil. has anyone ever used this mixture. he gave me the remainder of his concoction, should i keep using it, or strip and refinish with a true teak oil. The wood looks great, i just don't want any problems down the road..http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q129/aaronhebert88/IMG_1749.jpg

I was given the same concoction less the thompson's water sealer. It worked great and if it is working for you, "I would say keep on keeping on!"

Gonzo
08-13-2008, 02:10 PM
looks better then my platform. Along the same lines does the starbrite stuff in the clear bottle have a sealer in it or just the white bottle? I am in the crowd that it doesnt matter how much I put on, after a weekend its gone.

Willski
08-13-2008, 02:14 PM
A buddy of mine (Nautique owner) just polyurethaned his. Looks great, but man is it slick.

TMCNo1
08-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Oh no, there is absolutely no reason what so ever to use a readily available, over the counter form of Teak Oil that has a sealer in it, it will never work! I use a homemade mix Sugar, Alum, Kentucky Fried Chicken grease on our platform/picnic table, makes it sweeter for the eater, tighter for the biter and finger lickin' good!

Sodar
08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
Oh no, there is absolutely no reason what so ever to use a readily available, over the counter form of Teak Oil that has a sealer in it, it will never work! I use a homemade mix Sugar, Alum, Kentucky Fried Chicken grease on our platform/picnic table, makes it sweeter for the eater, tighter for the biter and finger lickin' good!

Good to know there are other options. I think the KFC Grease might actually work well.

Gonzo
08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
Doesn't the seven herbs and spices hurt your bare feet? and the Alum? wouldnt sitting on that give you constipation? I am so confused now... my head is spinning, of course that may be a sugar rush.

ski_king
08-13-2008, 04:17 PM
I hear this stuff is good.

TMCNo1
08-13-2008, 04:50 PM
I hear this stuff is good.

It also contains less than 1% rattlesnake venom, urine from a 6 peckered billygoat and Whale sperm. No animals were endangered in the manufacturing of the product, just made happy!:rolleyes::D

Aaronhebert88
08-13-2008, 06:14 PM
that's some shiny wood you got there...

TMCNo1
08-13-2008, 08:46 PM
that's some shiny wood you got there...

Thanks!
It's not actually sealed, cause sealing don't work. The finish just levitates approxinately .0003" above the wood like a cacoon!:rolleyes:

Don't believe everything ya read on the internet, unless your stoned!

Jim@BAWS
08-13-2008, 09:41 PM

Teak is pretty much industructable! There is more than one kind of teak oil. I actually prefer AMAZON DARK. It is a much thicker oil that does not require as many labor intensive coats.

Linseed oil is still used by alot of older Wooden boat owners. IT is used in the bildge to
coat it and keep water from penetrating into the wood.

There is more that one way to skin a cat. The previous owner way looks to be preserving the teak just fine. You may never get that TOTAL LUSTER like other platforms...bet then again I hope that you are getting plenty of use out of your boat. Trans oil is anoter way

Keep it looking good

Jim@BAWS

TX.X-30 fan
08-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Is it the tranny fluid that gives it the low sheen, stop right there transmission oil!!!!! I am not a fan of thompsons at all, but the linseed oil will do nothing bad to the teak. What trans oil was he using??? bigmac will want to know the viscosity and weight.

Sodar
08-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Is it the tranny fluid that gives it the low sheen, stop right there transmission oil!!!!! I am not a fan of thompsons at all, but the linseed oil will do nothing bad to the teak. What trans oil was he using??? bigmac will want to know the viscosity and weight.

Transmission fluid gives the concoction its coloring.

Aaronhebert88
08-14-2008, 12:26 AM

castrol dexron 6 same as what is used in the transmission

TMCNo1
08-14-2008, 09:21 AM
Does all this talk of using transmission for a teak platform means that somewhere on it will be a dipstick?
I have one on mine,