PDA

View Full Version : X-2 died...in front of the ramp!

BCBlazers
08-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Last weekend, we were on the lake and boarded from about 1-3 and then took about a 2 hr break. We got back on the water at about 5 and stayed out till bout 845. My buddy backed the trailer down and I was idling in the water right by the ramp when the boat just died. I let it sit a minute and tried to crank and it cranked and died immediately, so i swam it to the trailer.

It seemed like it ran outta gas, which i knew was not the case. First idea was a clogged fuel filter. When i got it home and cracked the hatch, i couldn't see anything that looked out of place except some apparent smoke damage on my coil. Nothing was burnt, all wires intact w/ no bare spots, no "sign" of fire, just looked like some smoke on my coil....:confused:

I pulled my wire off my distributor and turned it over to see if I was getting fire, and got plenty of it! Next time after replacing the distributor wire, it cranked right up.
My only guess is that my coil got to hot....

Any ideas? Any questions about something that i didnt cover....i'm stuck here... if nothing else, we're gonna be bringin a couple paddles to the lake this weekend. My buddy suggested paddling w/ the wakeboards, but id rather have a couple spare paddles on hand as well 8p

coz
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
Last weekend, we were on the lake and boarded from about 1-3 and then took about a 2 hr break. We got back on the water at about 5 and stayed out till bout 845. My buddy backed the trailer down and I was idling in the water right by the ramp when the boat just died. I let it sit a minute and tried to crank and it cranked and died immediately, so i swam it to the trailer.

It seemed like it ran outta gas, which i knew was not the case. First idea was a clogged fuel filter. When i got it home and cracked the hatch, i couldn't see anything that looked out of place except some apparent smoke damage on my coil. Nothing was burnt, all wires intact w/ no bare spots, no "sign" of fire, just looked like some smoke on my coil....:confused:

I pulled my wire off my distributor and turned it over to see if I was getting fire, and got plenty of it! Next time after replacing the distributor wire, it cranked right up.
My only guess is that my coil got to hot....

Any ideas? Any questions about something that i didnt cover....i'm stuck here... if nothing else, we're gonna be bringin a couple paddles to the lake this weekend. My buddy suggested paddling w/ the wakeboards, but id rather have a couple spare paddles on hand as well 8p

A paddle in your boat is on your check list :rolleyes: did you check your check list? :confused:

ProTour X9
08-12-2008, 07:48 PM
Safety Lanyard??? This happened to me a while ago, and thats what it was.

vision
08-12-2008, 08:00 PM
I second the safety lanyard, although you probably checked and if so, ignore this post.

I say there should be a green and red LED on the lanyard switch to indicate connectivity. It is about once a year I spend 60 seconds swearing that the d%@& boat died until it hits me to check if the lanyard has jiggled loose. Invariably, it is loose and after looking and feeling stupid, I push down on the lanyard and the boat fires right up.

dapicatti
08-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Lanyard x3---we had this happen to us. We were convinced it was the boat, it was the lanyard.
If not, could be a fuel pump issue? They sometimes have issues way after they have run low on fuel...if that ever happened.

denverd1
08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
dare i say fuel pump?

sand2snow22
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
dare i say fuel pump?

times 2.....