PDA

View Full Version : foiling??

Pstar94
08-12-2008, 02:43 PM
wanting to get into foiling. i kno its costly (one reason im rethinking) but i always hear how dangerous it is. like people breaking their backs and stuff... but how much more dangerous is it than other water sports?? plenty of people do it without gettting hurt correct??

bigmac
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
wanting to get into foiling. i kno its costly (one reason im rethinking) but i always hear how dangerous it is. like people breaking their backs and stuff... but how much more dangerous is it than other water sports?? plenty of people do it without gettting hurt correct?? Very likely I'm old enough to be your father, been hydrofoiling for about 4 years, never been hurt. OTOH, I don't spend a lot of time inverted. Like wakeboarding, when you start getting high up in the air upside down, the potential for injury goes up. I don't think it's any more dangerous than wakeboarding, and very likely safer. IMHO, it is a LOT more fun. Hard to explain unless you've done it, but the sensation is completely different than any water sport you've ever done, and very addicting.

http://mccollister.info/foilsmall.jpg

SkiDog
08-12-2008, 04:24 PM
I concur with BigMac! Foiling is a blast. Once you get the hang of just riding the foil, it becomes a whole lot easier than when you first start out. If you're a slalom skier, the learning curve is pretty steep. Forget EVERYTHING that you ever learned about skiing. Find someone that knows how to teach foiling to teach you. Don't try to learn on your own.

bobbyB
08-12-2008, 06:59 PM
Very likely I'm old enough to be your father, been hydrofoiling for about 4 years, never been hurt. OTOH, I don't spend a lot of time inverted. Like wakeboarding, when you start getting high up in the air upside down, the potential for injury goes up. I don't think it's any more dangerous than wakeboarding, and very likely safer. IMHO, it is a LOT more fun. Hard to explain unless you've done it, but the sensation is completely different than any water sport you've ever done, and very addicting.

http://mccollister.info/foilsmall.jpg

Mac....that's one fine lookin foil!!!

bobbyB
08-12-2008, 07:05 PM
wanting to get into foiling. i kno its costly (one reason im rethinking) but i always hear how dangerous it is. like people breaking their backs and stuff... but how much more dangerous is it than other water sports?? plenty of people do it without gettting hurt correct??

With a proper sized belt and ankle stays from CinchMax it is absolutely the safest thing you can do on the water. I've hurt myself way worse on all other water sports. There's always going to be the chance of injury, but not like everyone thinks. It's a misconception...."I'm not getting close to that kinsu knife!"....when your properly straped in, you never do get close to it. Get yourself over to http://www.foilforum.com/forums/index.php and start hangin out there. Tons of good info.

BTW- Spend a couple of xtra $'s and get a Skyski.

B

bobbyB
08-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Another thing. Go to that site and ask if someone will take you out foilin in your area. More than likely someone close to you will be more than willing to give you a tug and some pointers. Learning right from the beginning is huge.

B

TOO-TALL
08-12-2008, 07:22 PM
pstar94,

I see your in IL.Come on out to the IL Flyin this weekend August 15,16,17 at Lake Clinton.We'll get ya riding.

bigmac
08-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Mac....that's one fine lookin foil!!!:D It's been a GREAT foil for me, thank you very much. The foil itself isn't quite as polished as when you sent it to me, but it's otherwise still pristine. After a couple of seasons trying to get my old Air Chair airborne, all I remember first ride on this B39 was suddenly being many feet in the air and landing it well past the other wake wondering what just happened. This year I did add a Max Air front wing, an Evo seat and some more Cinch stuff (footwrap bindings and CinchMax belt). It's kind of a beast to lug around in the boat (no tower) but I built a rack to suspend it from the inside of my boat lift canopy and that simplifies life a lot.

I agree about the Lake Clinton fly-in. Never been myself, but if you're thinking about getting into foiling, THAT is reputed to be a place where you'll find many, many people who would be absolutely tickled to put you on a wide variety of foils and get you going.

Yesterday, I learned the important of giving the foil bolts in the seat tower a twist every so often. A loose foil makes for a rather squirrelly ride.

TMCNo1
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I concur with BigMac! Foiling is a blast. Once you get the hang of just riding the foil, it becomes a whole lot easier than when you first start out. If you're a slalom skier, the learning curve is pretty steep. Forget EVERYTHING that you ever learned about skiing. Find someone that knows how to teach foiling to teach you. Don't try to learn on your own.

I thought this was how you got into foiling, http://video.aol.com/video-detail/truck-wrapped-entirely-in-aluminum-foil/1197506419 and this,

Jerseydave
08-12-2008, 09:18 PM
One word.........ADDICTIVE!

I just started foiling 2 months ago, bought a used Skyski and it's a blast! Had to teach myself at first, but then met 2 other foilers who gave me some great tips. Now I can do some surface jumps outside the wake and also off the wake, still working my way to my first W2W jump.

I still wakeboard too, but given the choice I'd rather be foilin'. :D

Pstar94
08-12-2008, 09:50 PM
thanks. looks like a great thing to get into. price is still a little troubling... how cheap can you pick up a decent one for? and how can you tell if its in good shape?

thanks too-tall but dont think i can make it out this weekend.

Grover777
08-12-2008, 10:19 PM
Too Tall:

We keep missing each other. I was on Clinton Friday night and most of the day Saturday. This weekend we are headed to Shelbyville.

Have a good trip down!

bobbyB
08-13-2008, 01:02 AM
thanks. looks like a great thing to get into. price is still a little troubling... how cheap can you pick up a decent one for? and how can you tell if its in good shape?

thanks too-tall but dont think i can make it out this weekend.

A great entry level ski is a Skyski ProSS. This ski would service you well out of the gate and then if you outgrow it it easy to sell to another starter. There is also the Airchair brand out there, but both Mac, myself and others have started with one and when we got on a Skyski we realized what we were missing. In my book, it is way worth a couple of extra hundy. I'd look at the "for sale" area of the foilforum, or I picked one up for my wife by just keeping an eye on craigslist. Off season you should be able to pick up a 5-8 yr old one around $700-900....on season add a couple of hundred. Another sorce is that some of the Skyski dealers take them in on trade for newer ones.

As far as condition goes? Look to see how well they've kept it polished. Mirror finish is a good indicator of how they've cared for it. Inspect all edges of the T-bar and wings for small knicks. Even tiny knicks can cause problems. They can be sanded out, but takes some work by someone who's done it before. Look for cracking on the bottom of the ski where the D-nuts hold the tower on. Look for cracking on the tower where there are any bends. Check for ripped or torn rubber on the bindings, and that none of the screws have been striped out.

Can't say this enough. Get together with peeps in your area that can help you out! Most foilers are pretty willing to take you out and teach. Most are willing to help new friends find good foils. Did we remind you to get together with foilers in your area? If not, make sure you do that. Post on the foilforum that you're a newby, you want to get into the sport and can someone in your area help me out? By the way, get together with other foilers.:D

B

bigmac
08-13-2008, 08:50 AM
I did indeed start out on an Air Chair. I taught myself and at least a few others to ride it with out much difficulty. I bought it new on ebay from Lance Reinsma for a little over $1000, sold it two seasons later on ebay for just a little less than $1000. I sold it because I got to the point where it I thought it was holding me back and after riding the B39 I bought from Bobbyb, found that to be true. It's a substantially hotter foil but I had no trouble at all with the transition. I haven't had much luck teaching anyone to ride this particular SkySki Launch B39 because of its responsiveness. I know nothing about the SkySki Pro - it may be easier to learn on, but as one progresses, one does tend to move up to a more responsive setup.

The advantage to the Air Chair Stealth is that it's cheaper and pretty easy to learn on, the disadvantage is that you'll outgrow it sooner or later. But, that may well be true of the more expensive SkySkis too. My perception, possibly erroneous, is that it would be easier to re-sell an AirChair because of it's lower price, then move up to a higher level SkySki.

Anyway, you can also consider used. These things pop on ebay fairly often, or you might find some on the new foiling forum Foilforum.com (http://www.foilforum.com/forums/index.php?). Here is a SkySki Pro on ebay currently ebay auction SkySki (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sky-Ski-Pro-SS-with-shock-tower-hydrofoil_W0QQitemZ250280278197QQcmdZViewItem?hash =item250280278197&_trkparms=72%3A1074%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C 240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&timeout=1218629177033) and I see a few others if you search on hydrofoil (http://shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_fromZR46?_nkw=hydrofoil&_fromfsb=0&_trksid=m270).

I also agree that the fastest learning would likely be to foil with people who know what they're doing. I never have had that luxury - I'm the only one on our lake that does this - and I have no doubt that my solo foiling career has held up my progression. I'm sure there are other foilers around here, and MJ Pohl keeps inviting me down to Minneapolis for clinics (as recently as yesterday for this weekend), but I just haven't been able to get the time to really follow through.

As to safety...being strapped into the chair means no stressing on the lower extremities - no wakeboard-type knee/hip/ankle injuries. I have seen complaints about aggravating old back injuries from landing big jumps, and that's the reason there is shock absorption built into most of the seat towers. The other injuries I've heard talked of are arm-through-the-handle stuff from riders doing inverts of various kinds. That's solvable and preventable. I've never heard of any broken backs, but one of my business partners did break her neck slalom skiing. I usually wear a helmet, but that's about 85% to try to prevent an eardrum rupture and about 15% in case my feet DO come loose and the foil comes around to hit me on the head (never had that happen).

Pstar94
08-13-2008, 10:14 PM
ok thanks alot everyone ill look at that site and see how it goes

c_craig
08-14-2008, 11:11 PM
I'll post this in a couple of entries because there are lots of pictures. I just spent 5 days with an old friend from Colorado who is an advanced foiler. A few pics for your enjoyment. We tore up Lake Leelanau in northern Michigan every day and had a blast with people on their docks and boats checking out the action. Just to give you some perspective, we're going 28 mph, and my buddy can do back flips (both sides) front rolls, huge straight jumps, "skitching", etc. I've never had more fun driving a skier/rider.

c_craig
08-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Here are some pics of the rest of us foiling (at about half that speed). BTW, foilers this weekend included 8, 9, 14 year olds, and the rest of us 40-somethings...

c_craig
08-14-2008, 11:25 PM
OK, so I'm only going 17-18 mph, but the crashes can be a little intimidating. But, nothing too bad. Worst is this one, accidentally airborne, then burying the nose:cool:

c_craig
08-14-2008, 11:35 PM
No pain, no gain? Actually, this was all great fun. No issues at all. Highly recommend trying this. My buddy is a huge Skyski fan (vs. Air Chair). We are looking for one as soon as possible. So dissapointing today to have to "only" wakeboard, skate, or slalom. The feeling on the Skyski is unbelievable. Closest I have ever felt to flying. Can't wait to do it again!!!

SkiDog
08-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Great pics there C cRaig. Looks to me like the reason you went airborne was that you pulled IN on the rope. Keep the rope high, arms straight, and lean forward. That'll keep you from flying when you don't want to.

c_craig
08-15-2008, 11:50 AM
yea. that was the only real stinger. got on a couple more times with less catastrophic results. that thing is TOO MUCH FUN!!!

bigmac
08-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Lately I've been working on increasing line tension while crossing into the opposite flat. What I've found is that speed picks up fast, I launch WAY higher into the air, and I am more likely to end up being too far forward on landing. There are usually one of three results from that 1) recover after a little porpoising (least likely of the three) 2) overcontrolling into secondary hop with big splat on back 3) major face plant. I'm currently working hardest on avoiding number 3. Slow but steady success on that - no question some instruction from a more experienced foiler (which is just about ANY foiler) would be a huge benefit.

Last year, I took a couple of major rib shots. I was reminded of how effective the Oneill LAW vest is at torso protection the other night as I splatted flat on my back again from a relatively large height.

91ps190
08-16-2008, 02:19 AM
Don't forget to include a tower rack for the sky ski when you purchase one. Makes the difference in storage and use the of the foil. They are a boat desrtoyer. I went with the comptech w/swivel and love it. Pricey but worth it.

c_craig
08-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Ours fit in the standard rack. In fact, I understand there is some connection between one of the SkySki champs and MC?

tex
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYlVU2wA8g

Huge

c_craig
12-06-2009, 12:58 PM
Wow. Big, big air.

TMCNo1
12-06-2009, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDYlVU2wA8g

Huge

That's on our lake at/near the hot water discharge known as the 'Hot Hole'.