PDA

View Full Version : 351 pcm rotation

Steve B.
08-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Hey everybody,

I'm new to the board. Tried a quick search but didn't find anything.
My girlfriends boat is a 1985 with the 351 PCM. Is the engine rotation the same as a car? Or is it a reverse rotation? It just needs a starter. Thanks in advance,

Steve B.

WilliM1940
08-11-2008, 01:27 PM
It is left hand rotation, looking from the prop side (rear of boat), turning counter clockwise, from the driver seat looking back, clockwise. I believe this is the same as a car, but the starter must be marine and non sparking, else you may blow it up with gas vapors present. Recently there was a Ski Supreme (similar to your boat) on Ebay which had half the deck blown up and cracked from a vapor incident.

michaelh_26
09-04-2008, 02:17 AM
the second or third letter in the engine serial# is either an L or an R indicating engine rotation, USUALLY left hand.

andyhoyt
09-04-2008, 12:08 PM
Assuming it is the original engine, it will be a LH rotation. But, please heed the warnings you will see on this post about USCG approved marine parts (designated as SAE J1171), you can not use automitive parts in your boat. Witnessed my girlfriend burn in a boat with automotive parts, nothing is worth that. Please buy from places like www.skidim.com. BTW I'm not associated with them, but have bought from them and they are a very reliable source.

Hollywood
09-04-2008, 12:13 PM
Having that starter rebuilt will probably be cheaper than a new one. Look at the prop, if it needs to go to the left to push the boat forward, you have a LH engine which is the same as an "automotive".