PDA

View Full Version : Pivit Hitch or Pivot Hitch

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 03:46 PM
Well, time to revisit an old discussion. While my boat has been away, I took the time to measure my garage once more. I've got 21 feet. With a Prostar 205 that comes in at 20' 5" without the platform, I started wondering about pivit hitch again. Has anyone with an early 90s PS205 retrofitted one of these on his boat? Could I squeeze it straight back into my 21' garage with the platform removed if I were to shell out the money for one of these things? What about the brake lines?

According to the specs on mastercraft.com, the current Prostars lose about 1' 9" with its tongue folded. I don't know that my trailer has that much tongue to lose.

Pivit Hitch (www.pivithitch.com)

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 03:53 PM
Seems to me that a small addition on the back of the garage would be a good fix. :confused:

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't know that my wife would appreciate losing the half bath or hallway that currently abuts that portion of the garage.

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 03:56 PM
oh, well now that puts a different perspective on things

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 03:57 PM
...abuts...

what is that?

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Do any early 90s (92--95) PS 205 owners have the specs on length with trailer (minus platform)?

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 04:00 PM
what is that?

From my WordPerfect Dictionary

abut ->verb (abutted, abutting) (1) be next to or share a boundary with. (2) touch or lean on.
-ORIGIN Old French abouter, from bouter 'strike, butt'.

Mag_Red
04-26-2005, 04:02 PM
what is that?I believe he means to say that the bath and hallway are on the other side of the rear garage wall. Sort of like " pert near" in Kentucky speak. :D

AirJunky
04-26-2005, 04:03 PM
Looks like Pivit Hitch has updated their design a bit since I looked last, and now it doesn't add much at all to the length. I'd have to trim about 16" off mine in order to get it all behind the gate. I'm not sure it's worth the hassle though. I may just install a planter outside the gate so the tongue is inside it & then no one will know any better. ;)

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 04:04 PM
Just damn nigh on top of it

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Bill, any idea on what the length is on the trailer, but with the platform removed? My trailer tongue doesn't stick out too far beyond the tip of my bow.

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 04:05 PM
Just damn nigh on top of it

The opposite of yonder.

Mag_Red
04-26-2005, 04:17 PM
Just damn nigh on top of itThat too :D

AirJunky
04-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Bill, any idea on what the length is on the trailer, but with the platform removed? My trailer tongue doesn't stick out too far beyond the tip of my bow.
I don't recall the exact length.... something just short of 22', but I'll check it out tonite & let you know.

OhioProstar
04-26-2005, 04:40 PM
My PS190 trailer is 21'6" and fits with about a half an inch to spare with the back of the boat against the rear wall.

We are looking for a new house and the garage is a huge veto item for me. Needs to be at least 22' for the third stall

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 04:44 PM
More than 21', but less than 22'. Crap. I honestly don't think I have a 6" difference b/w the tip of the bow and the tip of the trailer tongue. It'll be a while before I find out, too.

AirJunky
04-27-2005, 03:55 AM
yep, measured it tonite & it's like 21' 11" from the tip of the speedo pickups to the front end of the tongue. The section of the trailer in front of the riser for the winch & Boat Buddy is about 23" long. There is a section just in front of that riser, about 4" long, the perfect place to cut on my trailer. Would make it's about 20' exactly & just barely fit behind the gate.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 11:51 AM
Doesn't the bow stick out a bit farther than the winch? The boat itself is 20'5" according to the manual.

AirJunky
04-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Guess I should have snapped a pic of it. The bow is slightly forward of the Buddy, but the riser is built at an angle. It's welded to the tongue slightly forward of where the Buddy sits, and ahead of the bow too.
Heres a shot off the Monster site. Looks very similar to my trailer & where my boat sits.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 12:53 PM
Yup, same boat. I guess my confusion is the 20' measurement. Did MC screw us out of 5" somewhere (not that I'd be complaining if I could back it straight into the garage).

Ben
04-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Another thing I had seen in the past was the slide in - slide out tongue. Actually, the other 2 '94 205's I was looking at had it, and I completely didn't notice ours didn't have it until I got it home... (picked it up in the dark & was too excited to notice a minor detail like that.)

Anyway, it was held by 2 horizontal pins and the whole front section slid out, similar to a "reese" style hitch. Unless an aftermarket setup for this is available, it may be most costly and time consuming though.

Ric
04-27-2005, 01:02 PM
what is that?
I think in this context, if he knocks out a wall, the boat will run over someones but & his wife will kick his but
no abuts about it

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 01:04 PM
Nice, Ric. Ben, I've seen those mods for aftermarket as well. I still haven't heard back on the price for any of these yet, but I will keep everyone posted.

Ric
04-27-2005, 01:08 PM
anyone else think that if you're locking your trailer up somewhere that the pivot hole is a very secure place to lock the trailer by increasing it's immobility?

AirJunky
04-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Seems like a slideout would be a nightmare on a trailer with brakes. As I recall the Pivit Hitch kit is about $300, plus installation

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 01:21 PM
With my old boat, I had several locks on it, including a very large kryptonite lock through the rim and around the axle and the frame. Also had it chained to a large concrete block that was one with the parking lot.

With boats, I'm more worried about things being stolen out of it than the boat being stolen.

Ric
04-27-2005, 01:46 PM
With my old boat, I had several locks on it, including a very large kryptonite lock through the rim and around the axle and the frame. Also had it chained to a large concrete block that was one with the parking lot.

With boats, I'm more worried about things being stolen out of it than the boat being stolen.further off your original topic:
my 2000 had a locking motor cover, glove box and obs seat and if remember right, the 197 has none of those locks?

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 03:25 PM
The glove box on the 205 locks. That's about it.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 05:27 PM
Quote for the pivit hitch was $299 plus shipping plus installation. That's a lot of tanks of gas. I've got a request in to this company (http://www.jsmfg.com/) as well to see if the price is any more reasonable.

MarkP
04-27-2005, 05:40 PM
I don’t know that 300 is “unreasonable”. It will be interesting to hear what J&S wants.

AirJunky
04-27-2005, 05:57 PM
I thought $300 was pretty reasonable too. The install will probably be more.
It'll be interesting to see if JS comes in lower, since they include the entire tongue in their kit.

Mag_Red
04-27-2005, 06:00 PM
further off your original topic:
my 2000 had a locking motor cover, glove box and obs seat and if remember right, the 197 has none of those locks?Ric, are you sure the observer seat doesn't have a lock?? The 209 has one.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 06:05 PM
I wasn't necessarily saying it was unreasonable. But with only one quote, it's hard for me to say what's reasonable and what's not. At this point, it's looking most reasonable for me to park that boat diagonally in the garage and save the $300, plus shipping, plus labor for some "plus unleaded."

Ric
04-27-2005, 06:15 PM
I wasn't necessarily saying it was unreasonable. But with only one quote, it's hard for me to say what's reasonable and what's not. At this point, it's looking most reasonable for me to park that boat diagonally in the garage and save the $300, plus shipping, plus labor for some "plus unleaded."
Cheapo!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Ric
04-27-2005, 06:16 PM
Ric, are you sure the observer seat doesn't have a lock?? The 209 has one.
not sure :rolleyes:

Sorry! The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

Ric
04-27-2005, 06:33 PM
I also noticed tex had a krypton cable lock on his spare. I just bought the anti theft lug nuts, are those pretty secure?

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 06:37 PM
Just remembered what happened to that lock. I forgot and left it on there and when I backed my I/O down the driveway, it busted. Glad nobody wanted to steal that thing.

east tx skier
04-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Cheapo!

Hey, nobody ever got rich by throwing his money away.

Ric
04-27-2005, 08:25 PM
I want one on the clamshell too Mag so nobody steals my M C X :D

Ric
04-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Hey, nobody ever got rich by throwing his money away.
socrates

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Sorry!

The administrator has specified that users can only post one message every 30 seconds.

AirJunky
04-27-2005, 08:29 PM
socrates
Yea, he was great in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure! :uglyhamme

AirJunky
04-27-2005, 09:56 PM
Here is the side shot of the 205 trailer. As you can see, if I could chop the trailer just ahead of the winch/Buddy riser, it would actually fit behind the gate.
So the question is, is it worth the $200 or $300 plus time & labor to make it happen?

jimmer2880
04-28-2005, 06:30 AM
I want one on the clamshell too Mag so nobody steals my M C X :D

I'd be happy with a clamshell. That's my biggest/only complaint about my 190 is no clamshell. So - when I check the oil before the ski ride - if we are loaded for skiing with jackets, skiis & ropes - it's a real pain to keep them out of the engine area.

Ric
04-28-2005, 11:03 AM
I'd be happy with a clamshell. That's my biggest/only complaint about my 190 is no clamshell. So - when I check the oil before the ski ride - if we are loaded for skiing with jackets, skiis & ropes - it's a real pain to keep them out of the engine area.
just ribbin on mag's order boat experience. I'm playing with fire since mine's not here yet to know for sure it won't be WRONG.

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 11:31 AM
So, AJ, assuming you drew a line from the tip of the bow, straight down to the tongue and chopped off the tongue at that point, how much tongue are you knocking off (how much room are you saving)? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm boatless at the moment.

AirJunky
04-28-2005, 12:30 PM
So, AJ, assuming you drew a line from the tip of the bow, straight down to the tongue and chopped off the tongue at that point, how much tongue are you knocking off (how much room are you saving)? Sorry for all of the questions, but I'm boatless at the moment.
Well, I don't have the kit in front of me to read the directions, but I'd assume that I'd have to cut it a few inches ahead of that winch riser. In the pic above you can see where the tongue is welded on, probably right there.
Did you get a price on that JS Mfg kit yet?

east tx skier
04-28-2005, 12:43 PM
No price yet. For me, it'll be a real close call anyway. I'll have to see how important a little more room in the garage is to my wife. Either way, with the home gym in there, we're not getting a car and a boat in the garage. Perhaps a table for the mitre saw, but no extra car.

Ben
04-29-2005, 07:59 AM
Took a few #'s while messing around the yard last night. Total length (tongue to tip of pitots) was about 22'-2". Subtract 3" if you remove the pitots (PP is sufficient) or build a little pocket in the wall for them. Using a level to get a line straight down from the tip of the boat (w/cover on), the tongue is 18-1/2" in front of the bow. So, if your garage is 21' INSIDE it looks like it may be worth it. Keep in mind your garage door is probably on the front side tracks in the garage when it is in the down position. Also, I did the measurements myself w/a tape measure on the driveway, so they may be off a inch or so.

Other important measurement is that the trailer tubing where the bow stop support is welded on (in Bill's pic) is 3" x 4" box tubing (outsize dims). Not sure of the wall thickness. You may need this to order the right kit.

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 11:33 AM
Ben, thanks for taking the time to measure. I appreciate it.

captkidd
04-29-2005, 05:10 PM
O.K. girls, I've told you how to do this once before (at least) and if you search on "trailer tongues" you can probably find the neat little CAD drawing I did (back when I still had CAD software); not sure if it was on this site or the old one.

The following is a picture of the removable tongue that came on my MC trailer. I think it could be easily duplicated for less than $100, depending upon whether you do the work or hire a metal fabricator to do it. All you need is the piece of tubing that goes inside the tongue, two pins, and the coupler that allows you to disconnect your brake lines.

Ready to tow:

captkidd
04-29-2005, 05:13 PM
This is with the pins removed and the tongue slid out; the inner "sleeve" is welded inside the removable section, so the trailer (except for the winch handle) is shorter than the boat:

captkidd
04-29-2005, 05:15 PM
Just busting on you guys. Anyone want to talk about restoring your teak deck or installing a bimini top? (after that I'm pretty much out of ideas)

AirJunky
04-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Nice setup Captkidd. So tell me about these brake line couplers. Where are they available?

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 05:59 PM
Just busting on you guys. Anyone want to talk about restoring your teak deck or installing a bimini top? (after that I'm pretty much out of ideas)

Excellent, Capt. As for the couplers, did you have to address, at some point, any problems with air in the lines or fluid leaks (if you did, I assume you've solved them all)?

jimmer2880
04-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Sweet setup. I may have to do that some day (that's about the 102nd item on my wish list)

captkidd
05-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I hope I didn't give you the impression that I did this myself. I ordered it this way from the factory, but it should be pretty straightforward to duplicate. It works very well, and makes a very effective anti-theft device.

Theoretically there should be no air bubbles as a result of using the couplers, but it probably wouldn't hurt to bleed them occasionally, just in case. It seems that you should be able to find couplers at any place that sells hydraulic hoses; there are several places around here that advertise that they make custom hydraulic hoses and couplers (there are a lot of farmers in this area). While the fluid is different, the concept is the same.

I looked at www.northerntool.com and found the following item that looks similar to what I have:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=58366&R=58366
I'm not sure what size you need, but there are several to choose from.

Farmer Ted
10-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Anyone done this mod to their trailer?

Wrote the company and asked for some info...

east tx skier
10-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Thought about it. Don't have the amount of room in the garage where it would make enough of a difference.

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 05:38 PM
no garage for me :mad:

MarkP
10-22-2005, 08:08 PM
I thought about it Ted, but with the 28’+ garage, I don’t really need to..

erkoehler
10-22-2005, 08:38 PM
I thought about it Ted, but with the 28’+ garage, I don’t really need to..

Just rub it in! :mad:

MarkP
10-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Sorry erk,

Built the house that way to fit a, well, a boat..