PDA

View Full Version : heavy rider start difficulty

kgrove
08-11-2008, 02:36 AM
Looking for advice... one of the guys I've taken out with me weighs probably 230 lbs or so and is having difficulty getting up on the wakeboard (I think the board is a 142 if I remember right). I've tried pulling him up fast, slow, and in between with no luck. Generally speaking he either gets doubled over the board and eventually pulled all the way over his feet onto his stomach or if he leans back more the handle rips through his hands. I've already told him everything I know about wakeboarding (it wasn't a long conversation). He's an athletic guy, or more precisely a coordinated guy that used to be very athletic. I'm sure his strength is somewhat of an issue, but I can't believe he's not strong enough to get up if he had the right method. I have noticed this is a definite trend - the heavier the rider I bring with me, the more difficulty they have getting up.

Anyone have any tips? What do you do different for the heavier riders to get them up?

Chief
08-11-2008, 07:01 AM
Looking for advice... one of the guys I've taken out with me weighs probably 230 lbs or so and is having difficulty getting up on the wakeboard (I think the board is a 142 if I remember right). I've tried pulling him up fast, slow, and in between with no luck. Generally speaking he either gets doubled over the board and eventually pulled all the way over his feet onto his stomach or if he leans back more the handle rips through his hands. I've already told him everything I know about wakeboarding (it wasn't a long conversation). He's an athletic guy, or more precisely a coordinated guy that used to be very athletic. I'm sure his strength is somewhat of an issue, but I can't believe he's not strong enough to get up if he had the right method. I have noticed this is a definite trend - the heavier the rider I bring with me, the more difficulty they have getting up.

Anyone have any tips? What do you do different for the heavier riders to get them up?

Teach them how to drive the boat. If they have poor leg and lower back strenght then it's going to never happen. I have been in the same situation several times myself.

I get up like a ski. I can go sideways like most people, but getting up with the board vertical is my method of choice. Newbies to wakeboarding just can't get the concept of just using the board as a platform to just stand-up. They try to plow with it.

damaged442
08-11-2008, 08:26 AM
Tell him to stop fighting the boat. All of my buds that are new to wakeboarding want to fight the boat and try to force their way up. After plowing and swallowing the lake, soon enough they realize that they do not have more power than the MasterCraft. What I started doing is having them sit on the dock with their arms straight and knees bent. I give them the handle and pull them up while telling them to keep their arms straight and knees bent, kinda like the old waterski instruction. If this dude's 230, it might take another set of hands to pull him up, but tell him to let you pull him up. Then have him put the board on and try the same thing in the water. Once he stops trying to pull himself up and stops plowing, he should get it. I notice the more they bend their knees, the less plowing they have to contend with.

Dan K
08-11-2008, 08:33 AM
I am heavy myself and do not have a problem getting up. I would say his problem is related to strength and experience. I have taught a number of heavy people to ski and wakeboard, wakeboarding seems to be a little harder for them to get up since there is more resistance at the very start. I always tewll them that the boat has enough horsepower to get them up as long as they don't let go of the rope.

1boarder
08-11-2008, 08:48 AM
he needs to focus on putting his butt on his heels and wrapping his arms around his legs while holding the handle. It is not a strength issue, it is his technique. The bigger you are, the less you can get away with.

I am 245 lbs and still have 5 inverts (loosing more each year though).

ShamrockIV
08-11-2008, 09:06 AM
make sure you keep telling him to push down on his toes!!!!

that is the problem i had i was keeping legs straight. once i was told to ball up and push on toes i popped right up!!

wakeX2wake
08-11-2008, 09:15 AM
if you need to get in the water with him and just make sure his lower body is not too rigid... thats a common thing i see is people are too tense... you have to be able to take and give with your body... especially your lower body... again knees bent arms straight around the knees and don't stand up until he knows the board is on top of the water

Roonie's
08-11-2008, 09:20 AM
So far I have had 100% success rate with this analogy. Pretend you taking a dump in the woods. Knees bent but almost to boots. When boat starts to pull literally stand up. Also test run it on dry ground if you can. Use a rope and have him roll forward in the crouched position until up and then stand up. Sounds like he is pushing out his feet before he is getting up out of the water and hence is fighting it too much. No fighting at all..... let the boat do the work. Dump in the woods.......

jixxxer
08-11-2008, 09:21 AM
watch vids of deep water starts over and over..................most people big or small can get up with proper technique

JohnE
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
MY best friend is 265 and only about 5'10. He could not posibly be in much worse shape. I taught him to get up no problem. So your buddy just needs the proper technique. We took a quick lesson from a guynamed Eric Gerner last year. He said to bury the board and it will pop right up. The 2 friends I was with couldn't get up until then and then they got right up. I might not be explaining it exactly right...

MCDriven
08-11-2008, 10:11 AM
Had a buddy about the same size get up a few weeks ago with the following:

- Let boat pull butt under heels as it goes into gear and the rope tightens
- Keep arms straight and keep board at a 45 degree angle part way out of the water
- Relax, do nothing and LET THE BOAT PULL YOU UP
- Get up in a catcher's stance/squat - don't try to stand until on top on the water in a catcher's squat
- Once up in that position, stand up and move the rope to your front hip to straighten the board out

I think it helps to put the boat in gear to tighten the rope & let them get the feel and then let them yell hit it when they are ready.

Key is to get the position right and then do nothing/let the boat do the work until you're on top of the water. Tell him he's a fat guy doing nothing but keeping his arms straight and taking a dump in the woods (I like that one) until he gets up.

TX.X-30 fan
08-11-2008, 11:08 AM
If he will stay tucked he will get up. Everyone tries to stand up too soon and muscle it with forearms. If all fails I show them that you never have to stand at all, I get up fully tucked and ride all over never standing.

TX.X-30 fan
08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Let boat pull butt under heels as it goes into gear and the rope tightens
- Keep arms straight and keep board at a 45 degree angle part way out of the water
- Relax, do nothing and LET THE BOAT PULL YOU UP
- Get up in a catcher's stance/squat - don't try to stand until on top on the water in a catcher's squat
- Once up in that position, stand up and move the rope to your front hip to straighten the board out

Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!

MexicoBlue
08-11-2008, 11:11 AM
All of these are great advice. Pulling him up with the rop while he holds the handle, while he's sitting on the dock with his legs bent and heels up against his butt, is the best demonstration. Every time he starts to help you and pull himself up while doing this, just let him back down, tell him to relax, and let you do the work, until he completely relaxes and lets you just pull him up.

Another technique that helps is to shorten the rope way up, to 25 feet or so, so that the rope from the tower is pulling him as much up as forward. He should pop right up this way. This makes it much easier for a big guy to get up for the first time, and gives them a feel for what it feels like to get up.

Ric
08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
I'm an old fat white guy who used to be athletic.... I taught myself the wakeboard at about 38years old. As mentioned, he needs to stay DOWN, tucked, bent kneed, whatever you wanna call it LONGER...

BUT

My trick that works flawlessly for me now is to remind my fatass to point the toes down quickly when the boat pull starts. That is it for me, I pop up on the board like a kid once I remember to do that.

Pointing the toes quickly rotates the board up ontop of the water and voila, 230lbs is wakeboarding.

You could also dock start or anchor a tube to simulate a dock start???

Maristar210
08-11-2008, 11:30 AM
he needs to focus on putting his butt on his heels and wrapping his arms around his legs while holding the handle. It is not a strength issue, it is his technique. The bigger you are, the less you can get away with.

I am 245 lbs and still have 5 inverts (loosing more each year though).

I agree with the butt on your heels and your arms outside. If you do this you can't NOT get it....

damaged442
08-11-2008, 12:02 PM
The dump in the woods analogy is killin me!

cbryan70
08-11-2008, 12:36 PM
mot def have him get his elbows around his knees while holding the rope, if he does that he is most def in a good position. Pull him up nice and stead tell him to sit there till he feels the board come completly out of the water then stand up.

kgrove
08-11-2008, 12:58 PM
The dump in the woods analogy is killin me!

It's killing me to as it would be very bad for me. Last time I had to take a dump in the woods, I accidentally crapped on my shorts. I guess I should tell my buddy to bring some extra board shorts next time we go out. I may want to steer him away from bran muffins as well in case assuming the position triggers his muscle memory.

ShamrockIV
08-11-2008, 02:24 PM
It's killing me to as it would be very bad for me. Last time I had to take a dump in the woods, I accidentally crapped on my shorts. I guess I should tell my buddy to bring some extra board shorts next time we go out. I may want to steer him away from bran muffins as well in case assuming the position triggers his muscle memory.

man i am not sure i would have told that!!!

maybe u need to take notes from this guy!!!!!!

kgrove
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM
Heard the one about the bear and the rabbit taking a **** together in the woods? The bear looks at the rabbit and asks "do you have problems with **** sticking to your fur?" The rabbit says "No. Why?" The bear says "Good", grabs the rabbit, and wipes his ***.

kgrove
08-11-2008, 05:46 PM
we're censored here? It replaced my punch line with ***-terisks!!!

bwilson
08-11-2008, 10:42 PM
My trick that works flawlessly for me now is to remind my fatass to point the toes down quickly when the boat pull starts. That is it for me, I pop up on the board like a kid once I remember to do that.

Pointing the toes quickly rotates the board up ontop of the water and voila, 230lbs is wakeboarding.

Me too. At 270 6'1" I had lots of problems till I pointed my toes

kgrove
08-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Thanks, Guys! Good list of suggestions I can try to give.

Chief
08-12-2008, 04:46 AM
man i am not sure i would have told that!!!

maybe u need to take notes from this guy!!!!!!

Now we know what a bear does in the woods.......

btriantos
08-13-2008, 12:54 PM
The technique I use for beginers in having them sit on the floor of the boat in the seated "position" and give them the handle. As I pull them up with the rope, (simulating the boat) I simply tell them to stand up without by rolling from his/her heel onto the desk in one motion. Do that a few times until they get the feeling and throw him back in the water.