PDA

View Full Version : Truck Detailing?

sfitzgerald351
04-26-2005, 02:40 PM
So, I'm going to have my truck detailed in a few weeks so it's clean and shiny for my graduation and wedding. I found a place that will do the following for $210 which seems pretty reasonable to me. My question is are they doing what I should expect for a quality detailing? (I'm not sure I like the power wash since I have some rust spots starting and I'd hate to see the paint get picked off - but I figure I can just let them have my garden hose - it's a mobile service) I know we have some experts here so I figured I'd pick your brain... Thanks!

Exterior Detail Includes:

A smooth wash of the exterior with a 3500PSI power washer removing all lose substances. Soap and brush wash entire automobile. The exterior is hand clayed for extra smooth results on the paint. A heavy duty buffer and a high speed polisher are used for waxing and polishing removing minor scratches and rough spots leaving a new shiny smooth surface. Clean tires and whitewall's with special tire dressing and dust brake remover, clean wheel-wells. Wheels are degreased and shined. Oxidation & minor scratches are removed with Cleaner Wax. All chrome, plastic and rubber is cleaned. The finish is then polished and hand waxed with "Wet Wax" and "Re-new-It" sealant. Exterior windows are cleaned with a Universal protectant streak free. Door jams and trunk jam are cleaned and degreased. Under carriage and wheel wells are cleaned and degreased. All paint is sprayed with Dry Wash solution giving a shiny new look.

Interior Detail Includes:

The interior leather and/or fabric upholstery seats are vacuumed and scrubbed with a brush as well as a lotion and/or spray applicator and/or dressed with leather lotion and/or special spray. The backs of the front seats are cleaned. All buttons, nob's and controls are cleaned. All carpeting is vacuumed, shampooed and scrubbed removing foreign substances and odor. Floor mats are pressure washed. Ceiling is vacuumed and scrubbed with special spray applicator. Center console and dashboard area is all precisely cleaned and refinished. Trunk area is vacuumed and shampooed as desired. All windows and mirrors are cleaned streak free. Doors and door jams are cleaned and degreased. Underneath seats are vacuumed and cleaned. Interior scent is sprayed as a long lasting odor resistant throughout the automobile.

Mag_Red
04-26-2005, 03:58 PM
I guess it sounds reasonable. Is your truck really that dirty?? Personally I'd save the $210 and take a nice day and do it myself. That's pretty much my routine when I clean my truck, and trust me, it gets plenty dirty driving around muddy job sites all day.

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 04:03 PM
I didnt read anything that I wouldnt do myself for $200. Where I come from thats alot of money!! I would say that my truck gets to be one of the dirtiest on this board, I can clean it like that in a Saturday.

erkoehler
04-26-2005, 04:51 PM
DIY, Do it Yourself

tex
04-26-2005, 04:55 PM
not to high jack the thread, but here is a thought-Am I wrong not to stop and let a group of boy scouts wash my truck-I mean, I stop every time when the sign says .....cheerleader's car wash-donations accepted". Is this just me?

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
Take it to the spray wand car wash and scrub it. Should take about 15 minutes. The clay bar stuff is around $15 and you can get 2--3 uses out of the kit. It will take you around 1.5 hours max. Add another $7 and .5 hours to wax and buff. Vacuum and clean the interior, about .5 hours. Save the money for something else. If you spend $210 and it rains, you're not going to be happy.

jayocheskey
04-26-2005, 05:11 PM
Did I read this correct? You are graduating and getting married in the not-too-distant future? WELL, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Who really gives a crap about the truck -- (completely kidding with that. I understand the special bond between man and truck.)

sfitzgerald351
04-26-2005, 07:47 PM
I'd normally do it myself.... but I'm not sure I'm going to have the time in the next few weeks with everything going on... I graduated on a Monday and get married that Sunday! Time is tight. And since I've yet to buy a high-speed polisher, I'd just assume have someone do it. Trust me, with what the wedding and honeymoon are costing me... this is CHEAP :eek: It's basically a treat for myself (that, and the thong I bought Kelly for the honeymoon on the European beaches :D )

erkoehler
04-26-2005, 07:49 PM
I guess it is all about perspective. When spending tens of thousands, whats 200???

ski_king
04-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Scott, congrats on graduating and your upcoming marrage!

With the exception of the 3500PSI power washer, everything they want to do sounds fine. As you said, I dont know about the powerwash on a 13 year old paint job.

To me, the price sounds high. I know someone who has a car lot and gets somebody to do a simular service for less than a $100.00.

But then again, you are having a once in a lifetime week, might be worth it to get-r-done.

milkmania
04-26-2005, 09:53 PM
full detail around here on a Suburban!!!

Motor cleaning
Handwash
2 stage buffing
chassis painting
extraction of carpets
headlinerr brushed and cleaned
all vent crevices cleaned
seats cleaned & leather conditioned
wheels polished
tires glazed
door jams cleaned

$129.00 drop off service only

6ballsisall
04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
So, I'm going to have my truck detailed in a few weeks so it's clean and shiny for my graduation and wedding. I found a place that will do the following for $210 which seems pretty reasonable to me. My question is are they doing what I should expect for a quality detailing? (I'm not sure I like the power wash since I have some rust spots starting and I'd hate to see the paint get picked off - but I figure I can just let them have my garden hose - it's a mobile service) I know we have some experts here so I figured I'd pick your brain... Thanks!

Exterior Detail Includes:

A smooth wash of the exterior with a 3500PSI power washer removing all lose substances. Soap and brush wash entire automobile. The exterior is hand clayed for extra smooth results on the paint. A heavy duty buffer and a high speed polisher are used for waxing and polishing removing minor scratches and rough spots leaving a new shiny smooth surface. Clean tires and whitewall's with special tire dressing and dust brake remover, clean wheel-wells. Wheels are degreased and shined. Oxidation & minor scratches are removed with Cleaner Wax. All chrome, plastic and rubber is cleaned. The finish is then polished and hand waxed with "Wet Wax" and "Re-new-It" sealant. Exterior windows are cleaned with a Universal protectant streak free. Door jams and trunk jam are cleaned and degreased. Under carriage and wheel wells are cleaned and degreased. All paint is sprayed with Dry Wash solution giving a shiny new look.

Interior Detail Includes:

The interior leather and/or fabric upholstery seats are vacuumed and scrubbed with a brush as well as a lotion and/or spray applicator and/or dressed with leather lotion and/or special spray. The backs of the front seats are cleaned. All buttons, nob's and controls are cleaned. All carpeting is vacuumed, shampooed and scrubbed removing foreign substances and odor. Floor mats are pressure washed. Ceiling is vacuumed and scrubbed with special spray applicator. Center console and dashboard area is all precisely cleaned and refinished. Trunk area is vacuumed and shampooed as desired. All windows and mirrors are cleaned streak free. Doors and door jams are cleaned and degreased. Underneath seats are vacuumed and cleaned. Interior scent is sprayed as a long lasting odor resistant throughout the automobile.

Seems a little steep but I am sure the C.O.L. is much steeper than where alot of us are from too so that is relative.

Congrats on the recent graduation and upcoming wedding!!! :dance:

JEREMY79
04-26-2005, 10:01 PM
Dude do not drive your truck to the reception. I have mine planned where I am driving my best mans truck. That way I know they wont do anything to it!!

Mag_Red
04-26-2005, 10:12 PM
You know you could rent a nice Caddy or Lincoln for that sort of $$$ :popcorn: Just something to think about. Limo wouldn't be that much more

Leroy
04-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Congrats Scott! Enjoy the moment and if it allows you to be free for a few more hours it is worth it with everything you have going on.

Which beach are you going to?

I'd normally do it myself.... but I'm not sure I'm going to have the time in the next few weeks with everything going on... I graduated on a Monday and get married that Sunday! Time is tight. And since I've yet to buy a high-speed polisher, I'd just assume have someone do it. Trust me, with what the wedding and honeymoon are costing me... this is CHEAP :eek: It's basically a treat for myself (that, and the thong I bought Kelly for the honeymoon on the European beaches :D )

sfitzgerald351
04-27-2005, 12:08 AM
Believe it or not... the $210 is actually one of the better prices I found. The local car wash wants closer to $300 for the same service. Some other places charge around $150 but they don't do the polish and wax, just the wax. If I wanted just the wax I might as well do it myself at that point. Welcome to Boston. Of course, Boston has to be one of the most expensive places to live in the country.

As for where we are headed on the honeymoon we are starting in Greece and working our way along the northern Med to Spain. Lots of nice beaches to hit in 5 weeks! I can't wait.

JEREMY79
04-27-2005, 01:03 AM
5 week honeymoon. That is cool

rem_p
04-27-2005, 01:43 AM
yea i know where you're coming from....there are times when i feel like paying someone to clean my truck up....only problem is im too tight with my money :) that being said hell its your graduation and bachelor party...so throw that money down and have a good lookin ride all week long....i would take better care of my truck if it was newer, its a 95 which is new, but not brand-new...so it gets the older truck treat with less care mentallity...plus its hard to wash it knowing that 5 days out of the week its parked at a muddy jobsite and i hop in it muddy and covered in saw dust....makes it hard to want to clean it up when its like that....any way congratulations on graduation :toast:

rem_p
04-27-2005, 01:47 AM
Dude do not drive your truck to the reception. I have mine planned where I am driving my best mans truck. That way I know they wont do anything to it!!

you actually think your best man aint gonna be in on gettin your truck all wedding partied up? come on now that truck wouldnt be safe unless you parked it in texas :D

sfitzgerald351
04-27-2005, 01:59 AM
My friends know better than to mess with my truck. :cool:

They all drive much newer and nicer cars and have seen my revenge. It never comes immediately, but it always comes.

sfitzgerald351
04-27-2005, 02:10 AM
5 week honeymoon. That is cool

The only bummer is that it means that my boat is going to sit under its winter wrap until mid-July this year. I just crawled in last weekend to replace the dehumidifiers to keep it dry for another few months...

bcampbe7
04-27-2005, 09:52 AM
As for where we are headed on the honeymoon we are starting in Greece and working our way along the northern Med to Spain. Lots of nice beaches to hit in 5 weeks! I can't wait.

While I do enjoy cleaning my cars myself, I'd say go for it on paying someone. Graduating and getting married will not give you much time for car cleaning.

You do realize that you will have a lot of picture posting when you return. :headbang:

Should be a great honeymoon. Have fun! :friday: