PDA

View Full Version : Splined shaft or not

oldboater
08-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I recently purchased a 1998 Prostar 205 and am a newbie. I asked the board a question a short while ago and got a great response. Well I have another that I need help on. I ordered a new prop from my dealer to replace the existing but ragged 4 blade ( no idea if it was original). The dealer finally got one in from ACME but it was 3 blade, splined 1 1/8 inch shaft. I know that ACME says you can use their 3 blade and get the same smoothness etc as a lesser quality 4 blade but
1) do you think that's true?
2) since my boat is in the water for the summer I havent gone under it to try and check shaft specs so is splined and is 1 1/8 inch correct?
3) is it important to get a new nut when I replace the prop?
Thanks in advance for any help here ( also I do not have hole shot trans)

ProTour X9
08-10-2008, 09:33 PM
ACME will outperform any other prop on the water.

Ok thats my sales pitch.

PTX9

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 09:36 PM
I would think that information would have been provided to the dealer by you as to whether you have a 1:1 transmission, 1"shaft or 1:5 PowerSlot transmission, 1 1/8" shaft, by looking on the top of the transmission at the Borg Warner ID tag and you should have a tapered shaft, not a splined shaft.
I suspect what you were sold may be all wrong, but you'll have to figure that out and get them to get you the correct prop if it's wrong.

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 09:49 PM
[quote=oldboater;527610
Thanks in advance for any help here ( also I do not have hole shot trans)[/quote]

It's your choice to reuse the old nut, but I normally replace mine with a new key, Nyloc nut and cotter pin. Your dealer may carry the keys, nuts and cotter pins, or you can buy them locally from fastener store or here, nut, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=NUTNYLBR3410 and cotter pin, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=COTTER16X15 , key, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=KEYBR25X2

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Next time, or maybe even now, contact Eric here, http://www.ojprops.com/ and be prepared to give him all the correct info about your boat and how you will be using it, skiing, wakeboarding, surfing, with or without ballast and how much ballast and he will advise you on the spot and aid you in getting the proper prop for your boat the first time.
It's your choice!

oldboater
08-10-2008, 10:14 PM
thx for the responses. I do not have the powerslot trans. is there any chance that it coule beb a splined shaft if it is the standard 1:1 trans.?

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 10:17 PM
thx for the responses. I do not have the powerslot trans. is there any chance that it coule beb a splined shaft if it is the standard 1:1 trans.?

Your going to have to go look at the shaft to see for yourself. A newer splined shaft may have been installed for some reason, but I seriously doubt it. Besides, the splined shafts are 1 1/8" for all of them as a standard feature now.

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Your going to have to go look at the shaft to see for yourself. A newer splined shaft may have been installed for some reason, but I seriously doubt it. Besides, the splined shafts are 1 1/8" for all of them as a standard feature now.

PS, if by some chance the shaft had been changed to a splined 1 1/8", the transmission coupling/couplings, shaft log/stuffing box and strut would have to have been changed also and I suspect that would mean the boat has had some major damage for that to happen. I don't think anybody would change all that, at that expense, just for the giggles of it.

EJ OJPROP
08-11-2008, 09:38 AM
I recently purchased a 1998 Prostar 205 and am a newbie. I asked the board a question a short while ago and got a great response. Well I have another that I need help on. I ordered a new prop from my dealer to replace the existing but ragged 4 blade ( no idea if it was original). The dealer finally got one in from ACME but it was 3 blade, splined 1 1/8 inch shaft. I know that ACME says you can use their 3 blade and get the same smoothness etc as a lesser quality 4 blade but
1) do you think that's true?
2) since my boat is in the water for the summer I havent gone under it to try and check shaft specs so is splined and is 1 1/8 inch correct?
Thanks in advance for any help here ( also I do not have hole shot trans)

If you do not have the "hole shot trans" I would guess you have a 1:1 transmission. I would suggest our OJ 13 X 11.5 LC 1" Fully CNC machined 3-blade. This propeller will have better low end than your previous 4-blade and run a bit faster on the top end, 1-2 MPH. A new prop nut is never a bad idea. Give me a call if you have any other questions.

Eric @ OJ PROPS - 800-359-9730

O2BESOHUGE
08-11-2008, 09:49 AM
I Can Vouch For The Prop Eric Is Talking About...my Pro Star Was Like A Corvette After Putting That Prop On. I Loved It!

Eric Is The Man!
Thanks For You Help On My Boat Eric!
Jay

EJ OJPROP
08-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Jay - You are welcome, thank you for using OJ's.

TMCNo1
08-11-2008, 11:13 PM
If you do not have the "hole shot trans" I would guess you have a 1:1 transmission. I would suggest our OJ 13 X 11.5 LC 1" Fully CNC machined 3-blade. This propeller will have better low end than your previous 4-blade and run a bit faster on the top end, 1-2 MPH. A new prop nut is never a bad idea. Give me a call if you have any other questions.

Eric @ OJ PROPS - 800-359-9730

Eric, do you have a shaft seal for this Hole Shot Transmission?:rolleyes::uglyhamme

EJ OJPROP
08-12-2008, 06:31 AM
Eric, do you have a shaft seal for this Hole Shot Transmission?:rolleyes::uglyhamme

Have not gone down that path as of yet. Can't seem to find anyone here to do the R/D.

TMCNo1
08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
Have not gone down that path as of yet. Can't seem to find anyone here to do the R/D.

:uglyhammeBless your heart, you made my day, thanks!