PDA

View Full Version : tranny not grabing

scottyb
08-09-2008, 07:39 PM
I purchesed I x-star that has been sitting for a long time. ( over a year) and I got it fired up on the trailer but the tranny will not go into gear. Well it grabbed a little at first then stopped. I had to rev it up for it to start to engage. Not sure if the problem is in the pump or in the tranny itself? Any ideas???
Thanks
Scott

Skipper
08-09-2008, 08:11 PM
Not sure I would engage the transmission while the boat is trailered, but anyhow...

1. check to ensure that the transmission fluid level is correct
2. remove the shift cable where it connects at the transmission
3. with the engine running move the shift lever by hand to see if the transmission engages
4. if it engages the problem is in your shifter or shift cable
5. if it does not engage the problem is in the transmission
6. if the problem is in the transmission and the transmission fluid is full then you got some work ahead of you

Good luck

T Scott
08-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Not sure I would engage the transmission while the boat is trailered, but anyhow...

1. check to ensure that the transmission fluid level is correct
2. remove the shift cable where it connects at the transmission
3. with the engine running move the shift lever by hand to see if the transmission engages
4. if it engages the problem is in your shifter or shift cable
5. if it does not engage the problem is in the transmission
6. if the problem is in the transmission and the transmission fluid is full then you got some work ahead of you

Good luck

Perfect advice....couldn't have said it any better!

TMCNo1
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
If it's bad enough, you'll need these to grab the transmission,

scottyb
08-09-2008, 11:24 PM
Ya I checked all the obvious things of course. I took the pump assembly and the valve body off the took it apart and cleaned it. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Any one know were to get a service manual for the tranny? it's a hurth zf 63 iv.
Thanks

rholmes
08-10-2008, 02:21 AM
You can check out the correctcraftfan.com website. They have manuals for most of the transmissions over there. You can also find it if you do a google search.

bigmac
08-10-2008, 10:30 AM
Ya I checked all the obvious things of course. I took the pump assembly and the valve body off the took it apart and cleaned it. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. Any one know were to get a service manual for the tranny? it's a hurth zf 63 iv.
Thanks

That's a relatively new transmission IIUC. I've never seen a service manual anywhere for them and I'm pretty confident they aren't available.

I would call Indmar, see if they can help you out.

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 10:41 AM
That's a relatively new transmission IIUC. I've never seen a service manual anywhere for them and I'm pretty confident they aren't available.

I would call Indmar, see if they can help you out.

http://www.indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/index.html

Kell
08-10-2008, 01:43 PM
This link might provide some guidance.

http://zf-marine.com/ZFR/Support/index.cfm?PID=3&TZ=-7&SC=1366:768:32

Skipper
08-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Not too familiar with the Hurth, but I know with the Velvet Drive the pump can be reversed. So you can connect to a right or left rotation engine. If the pump is in the incorrect position, then it wont work right. Maybe the Hurth is similar, I am just throwing that out there.