PDA

View Full Version : Desert Bald Eagles

coz
08-09-2008, 07:07 PM
Saw 3 of these on the lake today and this is a first for me, I've seen them in the mountainous areas but I didn't know they were out here among the cactus.

Center right on the ledge
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/lake8-9025.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/lake8-9026.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/lake8-9041.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/lake8-9040.jpg

Quality sucks because these guys were way up there and I was max zoom

bepresto
08-09-2008, 07:54 PM
beautiful bird, I saw one twice in a day once when I was sitting in a tree stand bow hunting deer on a river and one flew by in the morning and again in the evening when I was sitting there. You can tell the difference of an eagle and a crow flying. The 6 foot wing span makes a lot more noise.

bepresto
08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
oh and by the way this is in Kansas. Just a little South East of Wichita.

bigmac
08-09-2008, 08:01 PM
They're thick around here...taste like chicken...

ski_king
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
A 17 year old around her "accidently" shot a young one while hunting and got himself in big trouble.

Teen who killed eagle penalized

HARRISBURG A Butler Township teenager must pay restitution and court costs of $5,200 for unlawfully shooting an immature bald eagle, according to the Pennsylvania Game Commission.
The boy, who was 17 at the time of the shooting, must also perform 50 hours of community service and had his hunting and trapping privileges revoked for three years.
The state Game Commission says the boy shot the bird Nov. 17 near the Pennsylvania American Water Co. facility along Route 38.
The bird was taken to the Tamarack Wildlife Rehabilitation and Education Center in Crawford County, where X-rays revealed a broken wing and shotgun pellets still embedded in the bird. It died Nov. 26.
The Game Commission says it received tips after a story about the shooting appeared in the Butler Eagle.
The boy has claimed he did not know what the bird was, as it was only about 7 months old and had not yet developed the bald eagle's characteristic white plumage on its head.
According to the Game Commission, he was hunting small game, legally, with five friends between the ages of 15 and 17.
The boys, all students at Butler High School, allegedly bragged about the shooting but clammed up after the Butler Eagle published a story.
According to Chip Brunst, the Game Commission's wildlife conservation officer in northern Butler County, the two callers whose information led investigators to the boy will split the $3,000 in reward money offered by The Humane Society of the United States, The Wildlife Trust and Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania.

TMCNo1
08-09-2008, 08:23 PM
Looks like he's got feathers on his head, is it a toupee? Beautiful bird!

FrankSchwab
08-10-2008, 02:16 AM
That up at Saguaro, Coz?

The wife and kids saw it take a fish out of the lake a couple weeks ago when I was out of town. They were very impressed.

/frank

h2oskifreak
08-10-2008, 10:50 AM
We were at a public pond a few years ago and an eagle dove in to get a fish about 20 yards from where we were hanging out. Came out w/ a good sized fish and flew directly over us and even dripped water on us. Once in a lifetime event.

Our private lake in the fall has a mating pair of osprey's and they fish it hard. We always have a spotting scope on board and people who come out really love to see it. We have been seeing them for several years now sow it nothing new, but still cool.

Anyone ever hit a bird while skiing? I was entering the cousre almost two years ago and saw a group of ducks swimming between the 5 ball and the guide bouys. I thought, "We have a deal with the birds right" (Seinfeld). I saw them start to take flight when I was about at the 4 ball. I was worried the driver was going to get mixed up w/ them as it was a pretty large group and the were still low. I came into 6 and knew I was going to be close, but I was at 32' off and hadn't run that many, this well all year, so I hung on. I put my "off hand" over my face and caught a Mallard with the handle (right where it "y's" to the rope). It brought me forward, knocked him back into the water and I recovered and skied through the gates. I looked back as I exited and he was coming out of the water and flying off. Looking back I shouldn't have skied into a flock of ducks but nobody got hurt and it is a good story. I call it my "Mother Ducker" story, to bad he was a male but "Daddy Ducker" just isn't the same.

bigmac
08-10-2008, 11:03 AM
We have to dodge ducks, gulls, and loons. The loons are the smartest. We have about 6 pairs of them on our lake, and every evening about 8:00 (prime hydrofoiling time) they gather in our bay for some sort of meeting. They can't fly worth a darn, so they dive when they see us coming. As to gulls, I steer away from the floating flocks...I learned long ago that driving through them means you'll be cleaning the boat when you get back.

coz
08-10-2008, 11:11 AM
That up at Saguaro, Coz?

The wife and kids saw it take a fish out of the lake a couple weeks ago when I was out of town. They were very impressed.

/frank

Yep Frank, Saguaro. I had no idea these were around here that would have been a neat thing to see :D Actually my grandson is the one that spotted them, there were a flock of vultures flying around above them and he saw the ones with the white head on the ledge :D

We were at a public pond a few years ago and an eagle dove in to get a fish about 20 yards from where we were hanging out. Came out w/ a good sized fish and flew directly over us and even dripped water on us. Once in a lifetime event.

Our private lake in the fall has a mating pair of osprey's and they fish it hard. We always have a spotting scope on board and people who come out really love to see it. We have been seeing them for several years now sow it nothing new, but still cool.

Anyone ever hit a bird while skiing? I was entering the cousre almost two years ago and saw a group of ducks swimming between the 5 ball and the guide bouys. I thought, "We have a deal with the birds right" (Seinfeld). I saw them start to take flight when I was about at the 4 ball. I was worried the driver was going to get mixed up w/ them as it was a pretty large group and the were still low. I came into 6 and knew I was going to be close, but I was at 32' off and hadn't run that many, this well all year, so I hung on. I put my "off hand" over my face and caught a Mallard with the handle (right where it "y's" to the rope). It brought me forward, knocked him back into the water and I recovered and skied through the gates. I looked back as I exited and he was coming out of the water and flying off. Looking back I shouldn't have skied into a flock of ducks but nobody got hurt and it is a good story. I call it my "Mother Ducker" story, to bad he was a male but "Daddy Ducker" just isn't the same.

Cool story :D Never hit a bird but in the evening on the Colorado river the bats come out and usually they get out of the way but one night one bounced off the left side of my head/ear scared the crap out of me and on another occasion a friend took one dead center in the forehead and drew blood, on him not the bat and no he didn't get rabbies :D

h2oskifreak
08-10-2008, 12:10 PM
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Yep Frank, Saguaro. I had no idea these were around here that would have been a neat thing to see :D Actually my grandson is the one that spotted them, there were a flock of vultures flying around above them and he saw the ones with the white head on the ledge :D

I must attract the flyers. I also had a bat in the face at Lake Powell. I was w/ a group of folks just bedding down on the top of the house boat and I sat up at the exact time a good size bat was flying bye. It hit my face square and wings wrapped my face. I moved about as fast as he did, no blood, no bite just a freeky story and friends laughing their butts
off. It really didn't hurt, I'm guessing cause he was so light.

Cool story :D Never hit a bird but in the evening on the Colorado river the bats come out and usually they get out of the way but one night one bounced off the left side of my head/ear scared the crap out of me and on another occasion a friend took one dead center in the forehead and drew blood, on him not the bat and no he didn't get rabbies :D