PDA

View Full Version : leak?

Pstar94
08-08-2008, 09:10 PM
Just went out and ran the bilge till it was empty. i sat for about 30 minutes to swim and heard some small bubbling. Didnt think much as i thought it was the exhaust. turned the boat on and went back to the dock. had to run the bilge for 5 minutes to empty the all the water. We also think we hit the bottom earlier in the day but see no damage on the outside. Is the a packing seal that could be bad or something else??

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 09:18 PM
Just went out and ran the bilge till it was empty. i sat for about 30 minutes to swim and heard some small bubbling. Didnt think much as i thought it was the exhaust. turned the boat on and went back to the dock. had to run the bilge for 5 minutes to empty the all the water. We also think we hit the bottom earlier in the day but see no damage on the outside. Is the a packing seal that could be bad or something else??

I guess you'll have to look and see, I can't see anything wrong from where I stand!:rolleyes:

Pstar94
08-09-2008, 09:53 AM
yeah but could i have ruined some packing on the bottom by hitting thr prop? or could any of the packing get too old?

bigmac
08-09-2008, 10:04 AM
yeah but could i have ruined some packing on the bottom by hitting thr prop? or could any of the packing get too old?

Sure. That's possible. Or you could have wrenched the strut and it's now leaking from where it bolts through-hull. If you hit the prop hard enough to torque the cutlass bearing and damage the packing, I can't imagine that the strut got out of it unscathed.

Or, the impact might have damaged your rudder port and you're leaking there.

One thing you might consider is taking a hose and putting several gallons of water in your bilge with the thing in your driveway. You might be able to see the leak from the outside easier than from the inside.

JimN
08-09-2008, 11:18 AM
If the problem started immediately after hitting something, blaming the packing doesn't make much sense. It's possible but without looking, you'll never know. Get a flashlight and look around in the bilge. You may need a small mirror to see into some of the places under the floor. Look at the base of the flange, under the tiller arm. I have seen some of those fracture and that will definitely cause a leak.