PDA

View Full Version : move dash switch panel = no power

saberworks
08-08-2008, 07:10 PM
1989 Prostar 190

I am troubleshooting a broken heater. I bought this boat used 5 years ago and the heater has never worked. Under the dash, the wires were clipped and capped. I figured the core was leaking or something. I unhooked the hoses at the engine and used my water hose to push water through the heater core. No apparent leaks after a few minutes. I decided to hook the wires back up, so I did. I turned the switch on, and nothing. It's an ACCESSORY switch on the right-hand switch panel.

4 years ago I had a tower installed. They hooked the lights on the tower up to the same ACCESSORY switch. My tower lights have recently stopped working so I figured the switch was bad. So I unscrewed the switch panel cover so I could get to the switch from behind. I noticed that the heater wire has an inline fuse which was burned out. I will replace that and see what happens...

When I was messing with the switch (to get it out of the panel), I must have loosened another wire or something. Now when I put the whole panel back and turn on the key, I get no power to any of the gages or anything. The horn still works, the bilge pump and blower switches work, but the ignition switch does not work and the battery, gas gage, etc., they don't work at all. Is there a wire I should suspect in this case?

Thanks in advance!

saberworks
08-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Alright, found the culprit to the intermittent power issue - between the columns of switches there is a column of breaker "reset" buttons. The top one (for "engine, etc.") had a loose connection.

Also, heater core electrical fan is completely locked up, hopefully I can replace just the fan and not the whole unit. Thanks for reading.

bigmac
08-09-2008, 10:23 AM
Assuming it's a HeaterCraft core, I'd give them a call. They are very customer oriented and perhaps you could get a new blower for the core you have. Look here....http://www.heatercraft.com/category.aspx?categoryid=19&startpage=0

Disabling the blower motor wouldn't stop the core from leaking. Water always circulates through the lines whether the blower is running or not (assuming the water valve on the engine is open, if you boat has one).

saberworks
08-09-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi, Thanks for the reply. The fan shown there is the same type of fan, but a bit different. I think the one I have is a lot older. There is a shutoff at the engine and it's been off since I've owned the boat. At the time, I didn't know if there was a problem in the core itself or the fan. Turns out it's just a fan problem. I can probably jerry-rig that fan into this core, I will probably end up doing that. I don't think mine is a "heatercraft" but rather something else. I have no idea whether it's OEM or aftermarket. They sell the same fan at skidim for about 30 bucks I think.