PDA

View Full Version : Torqued off the lug stud ooopps!

Roonie's
08-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Anyone ever done this? I was changing out my oil bath bearing protectors to the aluminum version and giving my bearings an oil change. I was taking off the wheel and one nut was difficult and I gave it some pressure and it twisted the stud right off.... clean break. It was really easy to do...... now it looks like I have to disassemble the whole hub unit to get to the studs. Has anyone else done this? This is the first time these wheels have been taken off as it is just over a year old 07 X2 trailer. Also I know they were to factory torque specs as I loosened them briefly and torqued them to 75 with a torque wrench last year before I went on a small road trip. Also anyone know if the studs are readily available at an auto parts store and size?

This is the clear plastic bearing protector that my trailer came with from factory.... I have heard they can crack easy and lose oil so I changed them out to the aluminum ones. Both of the clear plastic protectors were in great shape with no cracks so now I have extras just in case.....

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/oldbearing.jpg

Here is the same wheel with the new aluminum bearing protectors and missing lug nut.....

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k2/Roonies_2006/missingnut.jpg

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 06:55 PM
Most any auto parts can get you replacement studs and while your at it get some extra studs and lug nuts as spares in case it would happens again. Before you go, drive out the old one and one of the good ones, so you can get a exact match, but put a old lug nut on it to prevent messing up the threads with the hammer.

M-Funf
08-08-2008, 07:04 PM
It can be pretty difficult to get those studs out. Be very careful if you're going to use a hammer. A hydraulic press would be a better choice.

Easiest to just take the hub to a wheel shop and have them replace the stud... :twocents:

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 07:18 PM
Thank goodness I have UFP hub/brake rotor assemblies, cause they use allenhead Moroso studs that screw out and in from the backside w/o removing the wheel and or hub/rotor, a 5 minute job to do one stud, w/o even jacking up the wheel/tire.

tex
08-08-2008, 07:56 PM
I did and a good trailer shop fixed it for next to nothing.

JohnE
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Damn, Roonies. If you had a tandem trailer, you could just strap one wheel up and keep on rolling!:D

Just kidding, good question and I'm sure the answer will help me for the future.:cool:

John

jwroblew
08-08-2008, 10:03 PM
The poor mans way, which has worked for me on multiple hubs: Get a big C clamp, a socket big enough that the head of the stud will fit into, and another bolt that is smaller diameter than the stud itself, new stud, lug nut that the stud can pass all the way through, some washers.
1. Place socket on the back side of the hub around the stud head.
2. Place small bolt onto broken stud from the front
3. Put clamp on socket and small bolt
4. Tighten C clamp until the stud pops out into the socket.
5. Put new stud in, place washer against brake rotor, and tighten lug nut until the stud is pulled firmly into place.