PDA

View Full Version : Difficult to replace belt?

jss101
08-08-2008, 05:47 PM
I seem to have the belt shreadding problem that others have written about. I have a 2000 205V with the Indmar 330. I've just discovered that after about 3 weeks of use since belt replacement (by dealer) it's shreaded down to about 1/2 its original width. Now I'm skiddish about taking the boat out since I don't want to get stuck in the middle of the lake with a broken belt!

How hard is it to replace this belt myself? I have the tensioner setup, not the case where you loosen the alternator. I've read some of the threads about aligning the pulleys and stuff but I'm not going to take something like that on. At least it would be good to be able to replace the belt myself. If I'm gonna chew through a few it'd be good to be handy on this. I can't find any thread where people have given advice on replacing the belt.

Any help out there?
Thanks.

jss101
08-08-2008, 05:48 PM
Ooops. That's "skittish" not "skiddish"!

jss101
08-09-2008, 08:40 AM
Just popping this one to the top again to see if anyone can offer any advice. Thanks.

lanier92prostar
08-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I don't know about the difficulty in replacing them, but if you are shredding them, check the alignment of the pulleys. My neighbors SN is shredding them about every 2 times out. Pulleys are out of alignment.

TMCNo1
08-09-2008, 08:55 AM
You will have to use a socket that fits the center of the idler pulley to move it to take the tension off of it to replace the belt. Check the pulley alignment and replace the belt, and see what happens. Please take a pic of the belt prior to taking it off, so you'll put it back on in the right path around the pulleys and under the idler pulley like it is suppose to be.

jss101
08-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks. A picture is a good idea. It's a V drive so it's hard to get a good view, but I'll give it a shot!

TMCNo1
08-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Thanks. A picture is a good idea. It's a V drive so it's hard to get a good view, but I'll give it a shot!

If nothing else, draw the belt path out on a piece of paper!

bigmac
08-09-2008, 11:05 AM
While you have the belt off and are checking pulley alignment, make sure your tensioner is working right, and make sure your circulating water pump and alternator are turning freely. Usually, the first sign of a bad circulating water pump is leaking, but bad bearings there or on the alternator are not uncommon causes of belt shredding. Also, look at the pulley's and make sure there are no burrs or dings.

JimN
08-09-2008, 11:13 AM
They had some problems with this when the boat was new. Contact MC about it to give them the hull number and engine serial number. They had a bulletin with replacement part numbers.

jss101
08-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I found some burrs on the main pulley or flywheel on the shaft with the water pump. I filed them down smooth... I'm guessing that's what shreaded the belt. I also found the belt was really really really tight. I'm suspecting that my dealer installed one that was too small. I installed a slightly larger size and it seems better. So far so good; took it out skiing once since and it's been fine.

Anyone know exactly what size belt should be used? 2000 MC Prostar 205V with Indmar 330 hp.

By the way.. no one told me about that bracket that I had to take the bolt out of at the bottom to get the belt around it. I think the bracket is there to keep the water pump from spinning. You have to somehow get the belt around it. I took out a bolt from the bottom to get the belt by it. Just fyi for anyone reading this.

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 09:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your help. I found some burrs on the main pulley or flywheel on the shaft with the water pump. I filed them down smooth... I'm guessing that's what shreaded the belt. I also found the belt was really really really tight. I'm suspecting that my dealer installed one that was too small. I installed a slightly larger size and it seems better. So far so good; took it out skiing once since and it's been fine.

Anyone know exactly what size belt should be used? 2000 MC Prostar 205V with Indmar 330 hp.

By the way.. no one told me about that bracket that I had to take the bolt out of at the bottom to get the belt around it. I think the bracket is there to keep the water pump from spinning. You have to somehow get the belt around it. I took out a bolt from the bottom to get the belt by it. Just fyi for anyone reading this.

That is normal, to have to remove the bolt on most all Indmar engines. You might want to consider getting new spare belt and at your convenience, remove the bolt, slip it under the pump, then cable tie the belt to the bracket and if the one your using would break in the future, all you have to do is place it over the pulleys cause the hard part of removing the bolt from the pump is already done, as long as you carry a wrench/bar onboard all the time to take the tension off the idler pulley.

TMCNo1
08-10-2008, 09:09 PM
[quote=jss101;527606] I'm suspecting that my dealer installed one that was too small. I installed a slightly larger size and it seems better. So far so good; took it out skiing once since and it's been fine.

quote]

You can get the right belt here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1050 or maybe another MC dealer on TT that carries the proper belts since you have doubts about your dealers belts.

jss101
08-10-2008, 09:31 PM
You might want to consider getting new spare belt and at your convenience, remove the bolt, slip it under the pump, then cable tie the belt to the bracket and if the one your using would break in the future, all you have to do is place it over the pulleys cause the hard part of removing the bolt from the pump is already done, as long as you carry a wrench/bar onboard all the time to take the tension off the idler pulley.

What an incredibly cool idea. There's plenty of room down there to do this. I like it. Definitely!
:)

bigmac
08-10-2008, 11:29 PM

From the Indmar operator's manual (http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual1994_2002web.pdf)

Alernator belt
All 5.7 Liter except LS1 - Indmar 725018
LS1 serpentine - Indmar 725028
8.1 Liter - Indmar 725030

dummy
07-01-2010, 12:07 AM
From the Indmar operator's manual (http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual1994_2002web.pdf)

Bringing this thread back from the dead, but I'm about to replace my serpentine belt when I return from Havasu this week and am a bit confused. All the threads I've read and Ski-Dim's website list the LTR serpentine belt as being Indmar PN 725026.

My belt clearly says "Indmar 725029". Any thoughts? Should I go ahead and replace with the recommended 725026 or see if I can find another 725029?

I've got the shouldered waterpump pulley and my belt alignment looks okay. I'm not positive if I've had the alt. bracket recall done or not, but the block-to-rear alternator bracket looks in good shape (think it's cast aluminum) and there's a strap-steel reinforcement bracket that runs from front of alternator bolt to water pump to reinforce the rear mount.

99xstar
07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey Dummy - good question. Have the 99 LTR motor and I replaced a 725029 Indmar belt with a Goodyear Gator belt (48" I believe) based on a Gates belt number posted on this board. My belt tensioner has always been bottomed out on the stop and I have 3/4" to 1" of slack in the belt. I now have a belt/pulley squeal coming from the belt area. I have a new impeller, new circulation pump and tried a new tensioner and the belt appeared looser than the original. I am wondering if the 725026 belt might be slightly smaller and cure my squealing issue.

jss101
07-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Since I started this thread I thought I'd give an update -

Since I replaced my belt with a non-standard slightly larger one I've been in great shape. I replaced the belt in August of 2008. I've been keeping a close watch on it to look for wear or shredding and it's been great ever since. I've done a lot of skiing and the same belt seems to be in great shape and working well. This is compared to replacing it at least once a season before, as it would shread itself during the season.

I'm convinced that the Mastercraft recommended part number is actually incorrect for this boat. Along the way I ordered one of the factory replacement parts from a dealer, and sure enough, it's the smaller size. You'd have to really work hard to jam that belt onto this system, and it would be really tight. I can see why it might shread. Having a slightly larger size (slightly!) just makes it work better. I think I had some burrs on the big pulley which I filed smooth as well. I suspect they got there from some nim-nut at a dealer using a screwdriver to force the tight fitting factory replacement part in place.

So, my advice: ignore the "correct" part number and take the belt you have to an auto parts store and get one that's one size up and try that. I'll bet you'll be happier.

dummy
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Just removed my 705029 belt today and brought it down to my local Car Quest. They matched it up with a Car Quest PN K060480 6-rib belt made by Gates. Went back on with no trouble and the belt tension seems the same. We measured the original at 47 5/8 and the new belt at 47 3/4.

I'll update if there's any squealing once I take it out next time. I'll also post up a step-by on my garagemonkey site once the house settled down a bit. Photos are dicey, though. Not much room to stick a camera in that V-drive!

Tbonebob2369
07-29-2010, 11:39 PM
I have a 95 Prostar LT 1. I replaced the belt and it is too loose. Is there a way to adjust the tensioner to take up the slack?

ShamrockIV
07-31-2010, 11:15 PM
my x30 shredded 2 belts on me the first weekend i went out!! turned out to be the tensioner. 33 bucks at autozone. easy fix!!

jdhunt0
08-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I bought my ’99 210VRS with the LTR two years ago and have ALWAYS had a squalling noise of one kind or another. I had an alternator go out last year so I replaced it. Not too long after that my circulating pump started to leak so I replaced it. This year my circulating pump had its bearings fail and ruined both it and my belt. I replaced the pump under warranty and installed the new belt (725029) I have NEVER had the belt tracking issue until now. The two things that changed are the belt and the pump. I did not write down the part number on my old belt, but it was shredded and problobly couldn't find one on it any way.

My question is, what was the solution to the belt alignment issue and how do I know if it has been done or not? And two, do I have the wrong belt or is there something wrong with my new pump?

JimN
08-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Call MC and get the info- they had a recall for this. New dealers probably won't know about it and the ones who were MC dealers when it came out have probably forgotten or never read the bulletin. The only reason I remember is that I have a memory like Rain Man.

jdhunt0
08-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Call MC and get the info- they had a recall for this. New dealers probably won't know about it and the ones who were MC dealers when it came out have probably forgotten or never read the bulletin. The only reason I remember is that I have a memory like Rain Man.

Thanks, but what did the fix involve? I have talked to MC about other issues before and apparently my boat was made before they kept records like what recalls had been performed or not.

JimN
08-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks, but what did the fix involve? I have talked to MC about other issues before and apparently my boat was made before they kept records like what recalls had been performed or not.

No, they kept records of this. If they have none for your motor/boat, nothing was done during the warranty period. It's up to MC to get the recall notice to the dealers and they also sent them to the boat owners. The dealers were supposed to contact the customers MC couldn't and MC was good about getting the message out to the customers. The problem was usually customers who didn't want to take the boat in (and consequently forgot) and dealers who didn't bother to follow up or read the bulletins. Sloppy paperwork is another problem- when it's peak season, I can vouch for people who say they completely forgot about some of the paperwork that was required. I did too, but I caught up when it wasn't as busy.

IIRC, it required a replacement bracket. If you look along the edge of the pulleys, they won't line up.

jdhunt0
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I'll call tomorrow.

Jason99T/A
08-01-2010, 11:42 PM
I went through this with my '99 Prostar 205 last year. Previous owner never had the bulletin work done and I had kept throwing belts in the higher RPMs. I originally thought it was the tensioner. Replaced it, no change. After investating futher, I found the bulletin provided by Mastercraft.

The water pump pulley is the culprit. Mastercraft part # 81496005 is the newer style pulley.

I also upgraded to the newers style alternator bracket at the same time.

Here are two links which will be very helpful:

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=5&forum=10&category=2
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=30413

After both of these upgrades, my boat never had any belt issues after.

jdhunt0
08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Who should I talk to at Vonore?

jdhunt0
08-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Pulley is on its way to me and the updated alt bracket is ordered. I'll update the results.