PDA

View Full Version : Unloading Maristar 240SC

wsrobert
08-08-2008, 04:38 PM
I have a Maristar 240SC and am completely confused on something when I unload it. If I back the trailer far enough in the water to float it off, the bow hits the v-bumper up front. This has actually scuffed the bow and messed up my rub-rail on the nose. If I don't back it that far, I have to put it in reverse and pull it off with the engine. By doing this, the boat pulls to one side tearing up my trailer bumpers. Has anyone experience this, and what did they do to fix it?

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Maybe if you do it between too deep and too shallow and apply just a light about of throttle with the rudder turned full left. Might be worth a try. A friend of ours had to do that with a MariStar 210.

wsrobert
08-12-2008, 12:07 PM
So you're saying, I just need to find the right spot? I guess that makes sense. I've just never seen a boat where it was that difficult before. Was he tearing up the nose of the boat before he figured it out?

bigmac
08-12-2008, 12:09 PM
My 2004 230VRS does exactly the same thing. Either the bow eye catches on the front V-block or the tip of the rub rail catches on the Boat Buddy. I am NOT impressed by MasterCraft trailers.

Skipper
08-12-2008, 01:29 PM
So you're saying, I just need to find the right spot? I guess that makes sense. I've just never seen a boat where it was that difficult before....

Pretty much the story. Use the depth of the fenders as a reference point and figure out where it works best. Not good to come off the trailer and smack the rubrail. That will lead to further damage.

bturner2
08-12-2008, 02:56 PM
That didn't work for me with my 200VRS as the angle of the ramp seems to make a difference too. I had it pretty much down on the ramp we use on our lake but if I went somewhere else I ran into the same old problem. At least it's not as bad as my friend Malibu. His wants to go to the side of the bow roller when loading. He actually had the bracket on the bow roller bite his boat once.
My 03 X2 doesn't seem to have this problem (at least not yet).

wakeX2wake
08-12-2008, 03:01 PM
what i used to do w/ our 225 VRS was to back down the ramp and when the trailer got to loading depth (ie the fenders were under the water) have the truck driver jab the break which would send the boat sliding... NOW... in event the truck driver lets you go too deep you will experience the same event w/ the bow eye hitting the v-block... only faster... but... if you use the same truck driver often you can easily hone this skill... it's all about trailer depth and velocity down the ramp... good luck

bigmac
08-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Yes, angle of the ramp makes a huge difference. I have found that if I'm shallow enough for the Boat Buddy to not bite the bow rub rail, the boweye hits the V-block HARD. If I'm deep enough for the bow eye to clear the V-block, my rub rail is in danger from the Boat Buddy. Many MC owners talk about how cool it is to drive the boat onto the trailer to the point where the Boat Buddy self-engages. That simply will not work for me. It WOULD work if the V-block were split, as it is on current trailers. THEN the bow eye wouldn't get hung up and drive-on would be possible.

stuartmcnair
08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
I bought a Master adjustable drop hitch and it has helped with that. I can change the angle several degrees depending on the ramp angle. Might want to give that a shot.

http://www.masterlock.com/images/color_img/2841at.jpg

wsrobert
08-13-2008, 05:01 PM
:DLoading the boat hasn't been a problem since I first figured out the depth. I just can't believe that unloading is this big of a deal. You should be able to back the boat down and let if float off the trailer w/o hitting anything. I'm actually thinking of re-designing the front end of my trailer to correct it. Maybe MC will pay me for the patent... :D

wakeX2wake
08-13-2008, 05:19 PM
:DLoading the boat hasn't been a problem since I first figured out the depth. I just can't believe that unloading is this big of a deal. You should be able to back the boat down and let if float off the trailer w/o hitting anything. I'm actually thinking of re-designing the front end of my trailer to correct it. Maybe MC will pay me for the patent... :D

you never know what they might end up doing... i'd just suggest playing with your depth on the unload... it's got to be something to do w/ that...

ps on your design change may i suggest moving your v-block aftwards

bigmac
08-13-2008, 06:11 PM
IIUC, the new trailers are designed for the bow eye to go through...that would make MY life easier

wsrobert
08-14-2008, 04:41 PM
That was actually one of the first things I was going to change....