View Full Version : Steering Real Tough and Hard to Turn
08-08-2008, 03:13 PM
The steering wheel feels like the power steering is out on a car. The steering wheel is real tough to turn, but we couldn't find any grease inserts. Has any one had this problem? Does the steering cable need replaced? Any Ideas.
08-08-2008, 03:22 PM
mine was the same way when i bought it.
what year boat??
takes about an hour maybe!!!
08-08-2008, 08:35 PM
2003 197. What exactly needs replaced? The power steering. I wasn't exactly sure. I'll order it but wasn't exactly sure what needed replaced.
08-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Steering cable you could try to grease it but by this point probably not going to help, there is a grease fitting at the rudder port, and there is one below the gas tank, really hard to see.
The cable is really easy to replace just a little time consuming because of the awkward size. Here is the best way to remove it on a 197.
1. Take out engine box
2. Take out floor panels, one in back of the engine box and the one in front around the ski pole.
3. Remove or slide the kick panel by the drivers seat out of the way, (3 screws)
4. Remove ski locker carpet.
5. Remove bow cushions
6. Remove cable tie (1 screw) on right side of boat just behind the engine that keeps the cable close to the stringer
7. Remove nut and bolt at the rudder
8. Remove the nut from the ball joint that locates the steer tube at the back of the boat, its under the gas tank
9. Remove 4 bolts that hold the rack to the pinion at the steering wheel.
10. Feed the cable back and up through the square hole in the gas tank, just enough to get the bend out of the cable by the steering wheel.
11. Take steer tube off of cable.
12. Tie rope, cable, wire etc.. to the back end of the steering cable.
13. Pull rack out of the front of the boat from under the bow seats.
Install everything in reverse.
MYMC had the best price when I needed o replace mine