PDA

View Full Version : Gash in keel...what to do

lassy
08-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Explanation:

I had a friend of mine pulling the boat up onto the trailer and I was going to put the strap on and winch it up. Well, when he eased up onto the trailer, he was crooked, so I told him to give it some throttle and it'd straighten out. Apparently I didn't realize how crooked he really was since I wasn't driving and looking from my usual vantage point. Well, he gives it more throttle and the keel misses the main guide roller and hits the steel tab that the roller mounts to. I didn't realize what was happening until he was already up on it....so as much as I didn't want to say it, I had to tell him to reverse to get down off of it....inevitably scraping the spot even deeper.

So now I have a ~16" gash in the keel, approx. 1/16th of an inch deep. I will post some pictures soon, but WHAT DO I NEED TO DO????

ShamrockIV
08-08-2008, 11:23 AM
we really need pics to advise!!!!

get new friend??????

really though post pic someone here can prob help you!!

Skipper
08-08-2008, 01:18 PM
It is a common repair:

1. Use quality 3M painters tape to mask around the damaged area leaving about 1/2" in all directions around the repair.
2. Use a smooth sponge sanding block or 150 grit sand paper and sand from the damaged area outward creating about a 45 degree angle.
3. Clean the damaged area with acetone and let dry.
4. Fill the damaged area (up to the depth the gelcote starts) with a quality fiberglass filler.
5. Lightly sand and wipe clean with acetone again.
6. Apply the gelcote with a small paintbrush. (Some gelcotes require that you either spray mold release over them or cover with plastic before they cure.)
7. When the gelcote cures spray a light coat of black spray paint (trace) use 400 grit and wetsand with a block until the black goes away.
8. Clean, dry, and apply more trace.
9. Switch to 600 and wetsand.
10. Repeat with 1000, 1500, and 2000.
11. Use a buffer and a good buffing compound.
12. Follow with a good polishing compound.
13. Challenge your friends to find the repair!

*Key element here is a very good gelcote color match. Work with your dealer to figure out what color you need.

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 01:44 PM
Before it happens again, I would teach someone or find someone who knows how to load a boat properly.

causewayskiier
08-08-2008, 01:54 PM
Everyone raise their hands who hasn't made a few mistakes while loading a boat on a trailer? That stuff happens occasionally, it stinks when it's your boat though.

SkiDog
08-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Before it happens again, I would teach someone or find someone who knows how to load a boat properly.

Doesn't Lynn give lessons?:confused:

rspiecha
08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Been there, done it. $200 at a local fiberglass repair shop, and as good as new.

lassy
08-08-2008, 02:29 PM
thanks guys....

like i said, i didn't know how far off the boat was because I'm usually the one pulling it onto the trailer. but this time i had to back the trailer down bc. i was using a tractor from the marina....and i figrued, hey, the boat is tied to the dock, lined up with the trailer 10 feet away...all he has to do is go forward and we're good. NOPE!

after he backed off the trailer he about hit a few other boats and the surrounding docks because he had no clue what he was doing. i about dove in after the boat to save it, but luckily he went in circles for a few minutes without hitting anything and was able to come close enough to the dock for me to jump on and drive it on the trailer myself.

maybe i can send him the list of supplies i need and tell him to buy them for me...and i'll do all the work......MAYBE

pics to come this weekend!

lassy
08-08-2008, 02:31 PM
does this technique work for repairing spider cracks?

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Doesn't Lynn give lessons?:confused:

Yes Sir, $105/hr same as boat shop rates, 20+ years experience, it appears the dealers aren't teaching many owners much and someone has to spur on the economy.
She's available at a moments notice to travel as long as expenses are paid!

Skipper
08-08-2008, 02:42 PM
does this technique work for repairing spider cracks?

Pretty much the same. You'll need to use your tool of choice to turn the crack into a groove with about a 45 degree angle. I go all the way to the glass. A little trick is to mix up some thin epoxy first. Heat the repair with a heat gun and apply the epoxy. Continue to heat the area to allow the epoxy to get sucked into the glass. Because you use epoxy you must first scrub with clean water and a scratch pad, then clean with acetone before applying the gelcote. The thin crack in your gelcote is produced by a larger crack in the glass!

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Yes Sir, $105/hr same as boat shop rates, 20+ years experience, it appears the dealers aren't teaching many owners much and someone has to spur on the economy.
She's available at a moments notice to travel as long as expenses are paid!

Ya want to do it right?
"Put a Girl In It", listen to the new Brooks and Dunn song, http://www.cmt.com/videos/brooks/260...rl-in-it.jhtml (http://www.cmt.com/videos/brooks/260796/put-a-girl-in-it.jhtml)

lassy
08-15-2008, 12:34 PM
the black stripe was there when i got the boat, looks like someone used to beach the boat A LOT and the gel wore down over the years.

the gash should be obvious:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P8130025.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P8130036.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/P8130026.jpg

BrianM
08-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Ouch! That one is going to be expensive. I'd leave it to a pro.

lassy
08-15-2008, 12:54 PM
so does that look like something more advanced than i'd be able to handle myself? i have insurance....so if i'm looking at something more than $500 then i guess i'll have to deal with the insurance.

ttu
08-15-2008, 12:55 PM
Explanation:

I had a friend of mine pulling the boat up onto the trailer and I was going to put the strap on and winch it up. Well, when he eased up onto the trailer, he was crooked, so I told him to give it some throttle and it'd straighten out. Apparently I didn't realize how crooked he really was since I wasn't driving and looking from my usual vantage point. Well, he gives it more throttle and the keel misses the main guide roller and hits the steel tab that the roller mounts to. I didn't realize what was happening until he was already up on it....so as much as I didn't want to say it, I had to tell him to reverse to get down off of it....inevitably scraping the spot even deeper.

So now I have a ~16" gash in the keel, approx. 1/16th of an inch deep. I will post some pictures soon, but WHAT DO I NEED TO DO????

tell him to pay for the damage:mad:

i will have to agree with brian and have a pro fix that one up:(

JimN
08-15-2008, 01:05 PM
That looks like it needs to be sanded smooth and built up so it's the same profile again. Once it's smoothed, gel coat sprayed on, sanded and polished, then waxed multiple times. I guess it could be filled but it's hard to guarantee that it won't pop out.

BrianM
08-15-2008, 01:59 PM
so does that look like something more advanced than i'd be able to handle myself? i have insurance....so if i'm looking at something more than $500 then i guess i'll have to deal with the insurance.

I would get some estimates but I am guessing that one is going to run you well over $500 to have fixed. Definitely something I don't think I would even try to tackle myself.

The good news is at least now you can have the previous owners keel rash fixed at the same time.

BriEOD
08-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Ditto...no way would I try that on my own.

TMCNo1
08-15-2008, 03:07 PM
Ditto...no way would I try that on my own.

Wait a minute, a little UCUM PUCKY "A" for the big holes and some UCUM PUCKY "B" for the little ones and some cheap white spray paint from Family Dollar and the gentleman is back in business! Who sees the bottom of the boat anyway? Jeeeezzzz, it's only a boat!:rolleyes:

T Scott
08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
lassy, where in the Southeast are you located? I have a few fiberglass guys I deal with here in Orlando that do fantastic work. Based on some of the repairs i have sent them over the years, I'd guess the guys I use would charge around $250- $300. PM me if you are interested in getting their numbers.

lassy
08-15-2008, 04:21 PM
thanks for the input fellas. i'll see what i can find in terms of local help.

i also need to check my deductible and see if it's worth filing a claim.