PDA

View Full Version : Which Boom for my boat?

Ski-A-Rees
04-25-2005, 08:51 PM
I have a 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190 and I'm getting a barefoot Int. Boom but I'm not sure weather or not I need a straight or a contoured boom. I took a board and stuck it from the pylon to the side of the boat and it clears the wind shield by like 2" but it still needs another 2" to be on a flat part of the hull. Does anyone have a boat like mine with a boom or seen one like it? I also think there are two different types of contoured booms. Which one do I need???

Farmer Ted
04-25-2005, 09:12 PM
I have a 1989 Mastercraft Prostar 190 and I'm getting a barefoot Int. Boom but I'm not sure weather or not I need a straight or a contoured boom. I took a board and stuck it from the pylon to the side of the boat and it clears the wind shield by like 2" but it still needs another 2" to be on a flat part of the hull. Does anyone have a boat like mine with a boom or seen one like it? I also think there are two different types of contoured booms. Which one do I need???

I believe you will be able to get away with using a straight boom, if you can get a good deal I'd go with a contour boom as it's easier to step over it.

I've got a 98 and could use a straight boom on mine.

MarkP
04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Bi will tell you what will work best

800-932-0685

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-25-2005, 09:41 PM
I've got a BI on my 91......I know the deck/windshield is different but I think you'd be happier with the contour model. A straight should work (did in mine) but the contour lets your run the boom out behind the drivers seat. I like that if I'm driving and trying to give instructions at the same time. It is also easier to balance the boat to the person out on the boom by moving people around on the passenger side of the boat. The contour also gives a little more room for the passengers if you run it out that side of the boat. My boom started off straight and I added the contour with a hydraulic bender. I really prefer it with the curves in.

Ski-A-Rees
04-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Thanks! I'll call BI today and see what they say. I just don't want to pay that much money for something I can't use.

erkoehler
04-26-2005, 07:47 AM
I am sure you will get alot of use out of it. Also, if you go w/ the contour boom then if you ever change boats it will be more adaptable to a newer design.

Jorski
04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
The contour boom also makes it more comfortable to use the observer's seat.

Ski-A-Rees
04-26-2005, 12:37 PM
thanks for everyones two cents! I was lost!

mark g
04-26-2005, 03:21 PM
just in case you havnt bought yet ive just bought a contoured boom for my 89 190, just asked mc for the boom for my boat and out came the contoured boom fits a treat.
as mentioned in above posts does help with room in the boat.
also if you have a high pole you can mount the boom attachment to the pylon and leave it there let the high pole sit on it,
i must admit i went the whole hog and bought the optional riser piece also so i dont have to alter the clamp for different heights of people

MarkP
04-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Mark

You bought that from a MC dealer?? What brand do they stock?

Oh and are we going to get some shots of your 190 soon?

mark g
04-26-2005, 04:58 PM
barefoot international, of the shelf, think they stock other brands but not sure, know they like to push B int though.
ok i'll upload a shot of the boat lets see if this gets up, sorry to upload photo on this post promise only the one, will show on the newbie post, since i'm a newbie listing, ah ah

MarkP
04-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Nice shot Mark.. You know you have a “user Gallery” that you can load up with shots of your boat and your lake etc.

mark g
04-26-2005, 05:31 PM
Nice shot Mark.. You know you have a “user Gallery” that you can load up with shots of your boat and your lake etc.

in a word "no" :confused:
will check out, hoping for more shots this weekend, Its a bank holiday over here in the uk on monday, extra days skiing, weather permiting,

cheers

erkoehler
04-26-2005, 06:19 PM
Great shots of the boat, looks sharp

Ski-A-Rees
04-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Mark G - What motor does your 89 have. Mine has the 454 and my motor box is pretty huge. Thats the other reason why I wanted to ask everyone. Your boat looks great. Mine was stripped when it was used as a club boat so I'm trying to get pictures of what it should look like so I can start to find stuff. Get some more pictures and thanks for your help. Maybe I should try and call Jim @ BAWS and see if he has anything. There aren't any contoured on ebay right now!

scott88prostar
04-27-2005, 08:29 AM
This boom is priced about a cheap as they go....booms hold there value like MC'S...Ryan I will send you that fuel pump!....what kind of noise is 454 making?...have you done a volume test?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23808&item=7152494397&rd=1

aprgriggs
04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
great look boat....do you have bouys in the water to keep your boat off the dock...???

aprgriggs
04-27-2005, 09:35 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23808&item=7152494397&rd=1

Which model is it that boom? can any body tell?

MarkP
04-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Cant tell for sure but I believe it is either the “Contour” or the “Universal Contour”. I think the only difference between the two is that the universal contour goes up and back whereas the contour does not go back.

Did you ask BI what one you need?

Ski-A-Rees
04-27-2005, 03:00 PM
Scott88Prostar - I would have bought the boom but by time I saw your post it was gone! =(

Mark P - I just got off the phone with BI and the woman said I needed a universal Contour ( B2O2 )

Now i'm going back to ebay to find another!

mark g
04-27-2005, 06:14 PM
ski-a-rees engine is the ford 351,if you want pictures of all around the boat i'll get some for you for the inside fittings, when i purchased the boat upolstery was not in good shape had it all recovered last year, struggled to get identical match so chose different colour but tried to keep the style the same as the original.
The boom i got was the universal contoured boom from BI, hopefully as mentioned by somebody earlier it should fit any future boat i buy only concern i have is the hook at the front of the tension wires from the boom looks close to the gel on the eye anchor point think i'll wrap in foam or something ????
bouys on the jetty are only to keep boat from rubbing on jetty,

Thanks guys for the compliments like to keep it looking good

Ski-A-Rees
04-27-2005, 11:51 PM
You got it lucky when you said the upoholstery was bad! Mine is gone! The only piece and I mean only is the observers seat. The drivers seat needs to be replaced. I need an entirely new motor box! The side panels are gone. The back seat is gone. The carpet is gone. ( Just to list a few!) I'm looking forward to your pictures and as soon as I figure out how to down size mine, I will post some too!

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 08:40 AM
What do you have left of the boat?

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 08:41 AM
Are you sure it is safe to mount a boom on that thing? :eek:

Ski-A-Rees
04-28-2005, 09:01 AM
The pylon was reinforced when the world record 10 men around the boat trick was set. Thats one thing in the boat I don't have to worry about. The motor box has big holes because it used to have super charger and a blower! It's a work in progress and it runs like a bat out of H***.

erkoehler
04-28-2005, 09:16 AM
What happened to the super charger and blower? Why'd you take them out?

Put em back on and try a 12 man around the boat!

Ski-A-Rees
04-29-2005, 07:47 AM
We've done twelve during practice but It didn't count. I don't think the title is on the line by any means because no one that I know of has ever come close. It's kind of a cool thing I think but half the people out there don't even know what it is.

whitedog
04-29-2005, 08:46 AM
We've done twelve during practice but It didn't count. I don't think the title is on the line by any means because no one that I know of has ever come close. It's kind of a cool thing I think but half the people out there don't even know what it is.

Congrats on the 12!! I would love to see picts. As to comming close
Backwater Gamblers does 8 men around a twin rig (outboard with twin 250 hp) hydro-dyne. They did 8 at nationals last year again.

Ski-A-Rees
04-29-2005, 09:01 AM
If there was a team that could ski enough people around a twin rig, the record could be broken tomorrow! That proves to be harder than finding an inboard with enough power! If there was somthing someone could do to get a twin rig to turn better it could be done.

Ski-A-Rees
05-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Everyone above said contoured is the way to go on my boat, but I went on ebay last night to check on booms and there was a guy selling a straight boom off of his 88 PS. I'm still going to look for a contoured one but that really threw me off.

TrespalmasPR
05-09-2005, 12:42 PM
http://search.ebay.com/barefoot-boom_W0QQfkrZ1QQfromZR8

Looks like there's some decent deals to be had on ebay right now.