PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing '02 x-7 - taking on water

rounhdhere77
08-07-2008, 02:10 PM
hey guys, i am just starting out and having a ball. we can surf for a long while with my set up (fac. ballast filled, 350 on the seat surf side, 350 on the floor surf side).we often have to have a tighter turn then i would like but i think its just figuring out (open to suggestions).

my questions is about taking on water. i taking on a lot, so much its comming onto the floor in the boat from the engine compartment. i think its comming in the blower vents when we slow down, any suggestions?

Andyg
08-07-2008, 05:43 PM
It can also be coming in where the bilge pump discharges through the side of the boat. We setup my 08 197 to try and do some surfing a few weeks ago and took on a lot of water and I know it wasn't coming in the blower vents. We had the rear underseat ballast full (~450 lbs), one person in the bow (180lbs), then me (215lbs) in the drivers seat and 3 or 4 friends (700-900 lbs) on the gunnel and rear ski locker. We tried for two days and could only get a few seconds of slack in the rope. The sweetspot of the wake was so small that it was hard to stay on it. When we had it setup we only have about another inch before the rub rail was under water.

rounhdhere77
08-08-2008, 10:05 AM
my builge comes out the front and i dont see that ever being under water so i dont think thats it.

what side where you surfing? i have heard that the port wave would be better.
we can surf for a long time, i am 6ft and 190 and on the liquid force venter 5'6".
we have the same boat so here is my set up so you can try...

fill the factory ballast under the seat, i put a 350 on the seat surf side and then another 350on the surf side on the floor beside the engine. we have gone out with myself, my wife and one other and had some really long runs. the third person sits on the ski locker on the surf side.

we turn pretty tight to the surf side, its not a long wave but you can ride it and carve up and down. i think i can ride it going straighter now that i know what i am doing.

dont give up, if my boat can do it so can yours and its super fun.

ShamrockIV
08-08-2008, 10:14 AM
getting slack in the rope is alot more technique than wake size i assure u.

we have a good wake behind my 209, but i have trouble staying in the sweet spot. where as knoxx2 and others have surfed my boat really weel without the rope. but i must defend myself in saying i do alot of cutting back and forth and 180's and can get the occasional 360 so i like decent size clean wake on both sides!!

TMCNo1
08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Please post pictures when you finally take on enough water for it to sink and/or flood the engine compartment!

Kind like the patient to the doctor on Hee Haw,
Patient, "Doc, when I do this, it hurts"!
Doctor, "Well, Don't do that"

ShamrockIV
08-08-2008, 10:37 AM
are you sure you need weight in the front???

i bet water is coming in around rubrail!!

rounhdhere77
08-11-2008, 10:27 AM
we can surf the wave fine and can go for a substantial period of time, my wife went for 10min or so on friday night. i just wanted any suggestions to help keep the water out. we where a lot more careful driving this weekend and there was a lot less water. i am petty sure its comming in the blower vents as out biggest change was not slowing down until we got away from the wake a bit.

the weight in the front is supposed to make the wave longer, i havent tried it yet but i hope to get some bodies over on my holidays next week.

rounhdhere77
08-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Here is my wife taking a ride.
still have all the fins on the board, we are getting some nice carves in.

going to try port side this weekend, heard it makes a better wave on this boat..

sand2snow22
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
If you are riding left foot forward, you should be on the port side of the boat. Wave is much better, cleaner b/c of prop rotation. Left foot forward starboard side aka the darkside is more difficult. Props to that!

dsoby
08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
You will take water in the blower vents on a 197/X7 with a lot of ballast. It has been discussed on this board in the past. You might want to do a search. Try covering your vents with duct tape and either open your engine cover to feed air to your engine or take out the cup holders on the engine cover when you surf.

rounhdhere77
08-26-2008, 03:33 PM
thanks,
we just are being very carful now and bailing out between riders. seems to do the trick until we let someone else drive.
we started started surfign healside, cant wait to try out toeside this weekend - three days of surfing...

dsoby
08-26-2008, 03:38 PM
What speed do you surf with your setup?

Monte
08-26-2008, 03:55 PM
thanks,
we just are being very carful now and bailing out between riders. seems to do the trick until we let someone else drive.
we started started surfign healside, cant wait to try out toeside this weekend - three days of surfing...

Man, do what you want, but if you are having to bail water between riders, you have a major issue. Either lose some ballast or plug some holes. It seems to me that you are one wrong shift or step away from sinking your boat..:twocents:

rounhdhere77
08-27-2008, 10:22 AM
our speedos dont work so i dont know what speed we are going. with the weight we have and a spotter we are running around 2000 rpms.

Monte - when my wife had 10 people in the boat surfing they had water comming up from the floor. kinda scary. every since we have been pretty good just bailing out to make sure nothing happens again.

Can anyone tell me there set up for port side on an x7 ro 197?

ShamrockIV
08-28-2008, 03:47 PM
dude i am with monte on this one. i am not scared to get water int he boat but, what you are describing seems excessive to say the least!!!

rounhdhere77
09-02-2008, 10:41 AM
we tried to set up the same way port side but couldnt get it to work. i dont know if its just because we learned how to ride healside or what but i couldnt drop the rope toe side...
still had fun heal side though.

i want to fix my speedometers - i cleaned the connector to the paddle wheel inside and it still didnt work. went under the boat and no more paddle wheel so thats a problem. anyone know what a new one would cost me?

D3skier
09-02-2008, 10:54 AM
we tried to set up the same way port side but couldnt get it to work. i dont know if its just because we learned how to ride healside or what but i couldnt drop the rope toe side...
still had fun heal side though.

i want to fix my speedometers - i cleaned the connector to the paddle wheel inside and it still didnt work. went under the boat and no more paddle wheel so thats a problem. anyone know what a new one would cost me?

I'd have to strongly agree with Monte and Shamrock about fixing the excessive water coming in the boat before I'd worry about the speedos....

ShamrockIV
09-02-2008, 10:58 AM
I'd have to strongly agree with Monte and Shamrock about fixing the excessive water coming in the boat before I'd worry about the speedos....

paddle wheel is only about 50 bucks or so i think. but man worry about the water coming in first!!!!

but if you fix speedo you will know how fast you were going when the boat sunk!!

if you got PP stargazer you would not need a new paddlewheel!!

rounhdhere77
09-02-2008, 11:30 AM
we have had little or no water in the boat in the last few weeks now. just a little careful driving and minding the wake was all we needed.

how much is a perfect pass stargazer?

ShamrockIV
09-02-2008, 11:32 AM
stargazer is around 1200 i think. if you do not have PP now it would be the way to go!!!

rounhdhere77
09-02-2008, 12:36 PM
stargazer is around 1200 i think. if you do not have PP now it would be the way to go!!!

not even close to spending that kind of dough right now.
oh well - working it off the rpm's it is.