PDA

View Full Version : Which Caliper Should I buy?

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
I could smell my brakes the last time i pulled my trailer...so I imagine it's the old sticking caliper that's famous on these trailers, I have a 04 X2 tandem btw. I haven't taken the wheels off yet to see what calipers are on there as i figured i'd just order new ones and slap them on & be done with it.. From reading posts I guess there are 2 manufactures...Reliable and Kodiak? Is one better than the other? Or i have a friend that works for napa and can get stuff dirt cheap...is there an automotive equivalent that i can get instead?

TMCNo1
08-07-2008, 10:18 AM
I could smell my brakes the last time i pulled my trailer...so I imagine it's the old sticking caliper that's famous on these trailers, I have a 04 X2 tandem btw. I haven't taken the wheels off yet to see what calipers are on there as i figured i'd just order new ones and slap them on & be done with it.. From reading posts I guess there are 2 manufactures...Reliable and Kodiak? Is one better than the other? Or i have a friend that works for napa and can get stuff dirt cheap...is there an automotive equivalent that i can get instead?

By chance, they could also be UFP (Unique Functional Products), http://www.ufpnet.com/

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 11:45 AM
i take it then they are not all interchangeable....i'll poke my head in there and see what i've got for calipers on there. I know MC did some warranty work on the caliper(s) but exactly what i do not know. I just figured fix it myself and do it right.

prostar205
08-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I called Reliable Tool (manufacturer of the calipers) and they replaced all 4 of mine with Kodiak 225 calipers. That pretty much tells me that the Reliable caliper is not the top choice.

ncsone
08-07-2008, 12:36 PM
Recently had a frank discussion with senior MC mechanic about this. His comments were that the Reliable calipers were 'no bueno' and that all MC trailers are now coming with Kodiak calipers. I asked him about mixing the Kodiak calipers with the Reliable actuator/Master Cylinder on the trailer and he said 'not a problem'. Seems pretty conclusive to me.

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I called Reliable Tool (manufacturer of the calipers) and they replaced all 4 of mine with Kodiak 225 calipers. That pretty much tells me that the Reliable caliper is not the top choice.

thanks for the info guys
from what i learned it sounded like Kodiaks were the way to go but i thought i'd post the question.
That's interesting tho that Reliable replaced yours...when did they do this? Mines a 04 and would guess it's out of warranty. It's worth a shot tho

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
just called them...the dude that handles the mastercraft people was out today but they said that sometimes they replace them for free and other times they make you pay for them. Noting was said about if they give you the 225's. I guess it's up to him to decide depending on the situation. I'll check mine to make sure they are indeed RT's calipers and call back tomorrow.

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I checked my calipers and they are all Kodiak 225. So now what? Do these calipers have sticking problems too?

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 04:55 PM
i should probably just keep reading old posts instead posting my own problems but here's what i found...i found a post where rust in the system was the problem. Well guess what i then found in my master cylinder...big clumps of rust. i'm going to order a new master from titan,flush it out good and bleed it. That should get me by for a few years until when hopefully i have saved enough money to buy a new boat and start this all over again.

mayo93prostar
08-07-2008, 05:01 PM
IMO, you are going to need to clean the cylinder in the caliper also. take them off, disassemble, and clean all rust inside the are where the brake fluid actuates the cylinder.

2000XPSD
08-07-2008, 05:17 PM
yeah i'll clean those too...i really should be putting ss lines on too but i'll wait until the winter.

ntidsl
08-11-2008, 10:15 AM
I have an 05 single axle trailer and took the wheels off to clean the rims real good and wax the trailer completely and noticed my wheels wont turn more than a single turn. Checked the fluid level all was fine...it was a little rusty...is this what you guys are talking about? Are my brakes dragging or are they supposed to drag a little...one time I got them to turn 3 times by really spinning them so i could run to the front and kick the front of the trailer to see if they'd stop...they lock up good so i see the brakes are workig fine but they seem to drag...

advise for someone who knows nothing of brakes but can figure anything out if they read a book or a forum as awesome as this!

It seemed to me the pads were fine and looked very thick but i've only towed the trailer maybe 1000 miles total since i bought the boat.

2000XPSD
08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
i scrapped the bottom of may master with a screwdriver and pulled up rusty mud looking fluid. right after the backup solenoid, if you have one, is an orifice fitting. Any crap in that is can keep the brakes from releasing. That's what i'm dealing with now and trying to clean out. I'd crack the bleeder real quick and see if there is pressure on it.
The other thing is that you might have the Reliable calipers on there. They were made with a plated piston instead of a stainless. If your calipers say Kodiak 225 then your good and your cals are probably not a problem and it's the rust in the system.
there is suppose to be a little drag on the wheels...should be about the same as your truck or car's wheel.