PDA

View Full Version : x10 or x9, help?

aprgriggs
08-11-2004, 11:33 AM
I have a 2003 x10 and would like to get a boat that performs better. I have been told that the x9 is a great boat. I have noticed many of you talking about the optional power slot. Is this a must? Any help or information would be appreciated. Have to make a decision on which boat to buy. :)

Thanks,
April

ShawnB
08-11-2004, 11:51 AM
The X10 and X9 are really two completely different boats. The biggest difference is that you will lose the v-drive seating when switching to a direct-drive boat. When you say you are looking for 'better performance' what exactly do you mean?

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 12:07 PM
Are you a wakeboarder or a skier, or both? Different boats are better for different activities. The same goes for the power slot it's going to give you a stronger hole shot and more consistent pull in a slalom course. I don't know if these advantages translate to wakeboarding if that's what you're into though.

NSXBill
08-11-2004, 02:21 PM
What you are really losing going from an X-9 to an X-10 is the ability to actually ski behind it.

aprgriggs
08-11-2004, 07:02 PM
When you say you are looking for 'better performance' what exactly do you mean?

I want a boat that is fun to drive. My x10 doesn't turn well and if there us any extra power that I can get from the MCX then I want it - so that is why I am thinking of the power slot.

The boat will be used for wakeboarding mainly, but I want to be able to ski. I need a boat that is good for all sports.

aprgriggs
08-11-2004, 07:07 PM
What you are really losing going from an X-9 to an X-10 is the ability to actually ski behind it.

So are you saying the X9 is better for skiing and not so good for wakeboarding?

Jerseydave
08-11-2004, 08:14 PM
Which is better for skiing, the X-10 or a Maristar 230, or are they the same?
I'm thinking of buying a Maristar 230 for skiing, wakeboarding and even barefoot.
Is the wake too large for skiing? Is the boat too slow out of the hole for deepwater barefoot starts? Inquiring minds want to know.

aprgriggs
08-11-2004, 08:50 PM
njskier:
My dad has an X30 which is the same as a 230 and the wake is really big. They do some skiing but they don't really cut it up hard. I think you probably want a direct drive boat instead, but you will lose the open space with the engine in the middle. My X10 has a smaller wake, but again the skiing is probably the same. The 230 will be better than the x10 in rough water because of the weight. I don't think barefooting is possible unless you have a really big engine. Good Luck

east tx skier
08-11-2004, 10:42 PM
I'm thinking your best crossover boat will be the X9. It is AWSA approved for skiing, and, properly weighted, will probably throw a good wake for boarding. I'm no boarder, but it's the largest direct drive MC makes. You might also consider a 205V, but I'd bet on the X-9. Try to demo lots of boats before you trade up. But if you're not happy with the X-10, I think you'd like the X-9, although you're going to lose some room with the direct drive.

H20skeefreek
08-12-2004, 05:54 AM
If i could afford a brand new boat, it'd be an X9, no doubt. Actually I'd get a 209 rigged out to be an X9 b/c i don't like the X graphics OR I'd get an X9 and strip all the graphics off.

vtbuehler
08-12-2004, 10:25 AM
I have an x-9, we do both wakeboarding and skiing. The wake from the two standard sacks is for intermediate boarders, if you add another bag in the walkway it kicks up the wake for advanced riders. The wake for skiing is good but not as good as the x-7 or my old ps205, but that is from the added weight of the tower and pumps etc. Overall it a great boat for both wakeboarding and skiing. :headbang: :woohoo:

NSXBill
08-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Good responses here. The forum usually agrees that an X-9 (or X-7) is generally the best "cross-over" boat. Everything is a compromise. Course skiing and wakeboarding are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I find it amazing that any boat company can make boats that are decent for both.

sully
08-12-2004, 11:36 PM
I've skied behind both, but didn't see a huge difference between
the wakes. I have to say, I was skiing @ 15 off @ 30 mph and I'm pretty novice skier :rolleyes: . The 209 I skied behind had the 330hp LTR and didn't have the powerslot and I thought it took a little more time to get me out of the water, ... not alot but noticable. Our boat is a 210 with the 310. Hopes this helps.

bfrye
08-13-2004, 01:41 AM
I own a '01 209, I put a tower on it and will soon be puting in some sacks. I love to ski but spend most of the time boarding. I think it's great for both. ESPECIALLY when there are 5 people on the boat and me boarding - the wake is awesome. The wrap around seating of the V Drive is nice, but Honestly we are all very comfortable with the engine in the middle. Even when there are 6 of us. So the wrap around isn't much of a selling point for me. I REALLY like the handling of the DD. Not quite the same as a 190, but it's pretty d@mn nice. I can almost throw people out :) (better pitch in for gas) Compared to the V Drive the handling is great. That's my two cents. Eitherway you are going to be happy with it.
Brandon

aprgriggs
08-14-2004, 11:05 AM
thanks for all of the help. I am going to drive the X9 today. I will let you know the verdict.