PDA

View Full Version : Wakesurfing behind a PS190 and not swamping it?

scott33
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey guys-

I could use some practical advice from someone out there that has been using their Prostar 190 to wakesurf behind. My problem is that I have swamped it on two different occasions and I do not want to do it again. My set up has varied but typically I have around 1000 lb fat sac in the rear and a 500 lb on the passenger side w/ the passenger ballast full (180 lbs). I am 6' 2", 220lbs and I ride a CWB 63" Ride wakesurf board.

The obvious answer is to reduce the weight but I want the wake as big as possible since I am a bigger guy. It seems my 2001 PS190 swamps from water coming in the air intakes (?) above the platform, not from coming over the back or sides. I know that careful driving and an extra large capacity bilge pump can really help but is there something else I am missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice-
Scott

climbinggod
08-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Hey Scott,

I have just started surfing behind my 94 Prostar 190, Acme 913 prop. Here's what I have. Leave the back seat in and put a 750lb sac between the seat and the engine hood. Put 2 more 250lb sacs on the side you are surfing on. The wake on the left of the boat is better. The rub rail is touching the water.

Take it up to about 10.5 mph, Awesome wake.

Don't do any sharp manovers and especially don't slow down real fast or go in reverse.

Hope this helps.

TMCNo1
08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Don't forget to post pictures if you sink it!

scott33
08-08-2008, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the advice. I will try your set up with my PS190 and not exceed 750lbs in the back. I am going to pick up and extra fat sac pump (just in case) and really make sure my driver is paying attention to rollers coming toward the rear of the boat.

I have had some really great wakesurfing behind the PS190 so I will just keep these factors in check and I should be ok.

Ride on-
Scott

ShamrockIV
08-08-2008, 11:01 AM
i love cwb ride.

i would just back off ballast and be carefull. that hull will prob never be the best to surf but as i have said before we do not surf without the rope. we can but my crew tends to do more 180's, 360's and assorted manuevers than just ride in one spot!!

Roonie's
08-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Shamrock,

Also their boards are pointing away from the boat. Get them pointed towards the middle of the transom or tow rings and better chance of surfing without the rope as the board will be cutting into the wave instead of riding down it. Just an observation.

ShamrockIV
08-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Shamrock,

Also their boards are pointing away from the boat. Get them pointed towards the middle of the transom or tow rings and better chance of surfing without the rope as the board will be cutting into the wave instead of riding down it. Just an observation.

thanks roonie but we were doing this just to play. knox had his board and i trust him and drylandfish riding together so i pulled them at the same time. thanks for the tips though!!

now if we can just get that surfing section!!!!

scott33
08-08-2008, 03:12 PM
Shamrock-

Yeah, I love the CWB Ride as well. Since it has a flatter rocker and bigger surface area I have had some excellent long surf rides with this board. It has such a nice feel to it.

You are right, the PS190 is just not designed for big wakes and wakesurfing but it seems to work pretty good for a "ski" boat. I will just have to be religious with driving techniques and weight capacities so I don't have another dreaded swamp out. It is a huge buzz kill when your boat starts taking in water!

Cheers-

ShamrockIV
08-08-2008, 03:17 PM
lol yeah i can imagine!!

the tsunami is fun too!! it rides the same but is shorter so it is easier to spin!!!

in the pic i posted knox is on a cwb razr. it is made like a surfboard. it is a fun ride too!!

Naste Craft
08-08-2008, 06:45 PM
All you need to do to avoid swamping the boat is when your boarder falls cut back on the gas let the wake go past you and turn to the right or left inside the wake and slowly pick up your boarder. You will miss all the rollers and help keep the water smooth.

dsoby
08-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Scott,
Just a thought... you could duct tape over your vents to prevent intrusion. The problem is how to supply an adequate amount of air for your engine. Two possibilities are: 1. Open your engine cover slightly , or 2. Temporarily pull out the cup holders in the back of your engine cover. You are right about the 197/X7 not being designed for big wakes. I get water in my engine vents whenever I use any significant amount of ballast.

scott33
08-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the idea Dsoby-

I too was thinking of ways to prevent intrusion of water into the air vents but I didn't consider duct tape. With the rear vents closed off, I wonder if the engine would get adequate air removing the cup holders? It is a great question for my local Mastercaft dealer if they don't think I'm crazy for even asking. I was kicking around some sort of air scoop modification to the air vents that is similar to what you would see on those Jeeps that drive through water up to their hoods.

I also like the idea that Naste Craft suggested about cutting the gas slowly after the rider falls to let the wake pass. I just want to "dummy proof" my setup so I don't have to stress out having less experienced drivers pull me.

Thanks for the input guys- I really appreciate it!

TMCNo1
08-12-2008, 02:49 PM
38939 Nuff sayed!

scott33
08-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah I would definitely share the horror pics of my engine compartment filling with water if I had them. They would have been funny as hell in retrospect. Video would really capture the scene better though...the yelling, the scramble to empty the fat sacs, me trying to get the boat to shore. Everything was fine in the end, but it could have been really ugly if I was at a bigger lake, further from shore. The reason for my post originally, is so I wouldn't have to go through that again...

YooperScott
08-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Multiple cup holders removed should be able to provide more than enough air for the engine. An LT-1 for instance has a throttle body with 2 48mm openings. One cup holder has more area than that so having more out should work just fine. Also when surfing you are not using much power anyways so the engine is requiring much less air yet.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

scott33
08-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the reply Scott.

I feel much better with this solution since it is such an easy fix. Besides it will give me piece of mind so I can to focus more on riding in the "sweet spot" and not stressing out about my driver as much.

Ride on-
:headbang:

Ramhouse
08-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Here you go. 500# in rear corner, and two people. Surfing behind a 190 is more teqnique them muscle.

scott33
08-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Great pic Ramhouse-

I agree that wakesurfing is absolutely possible with less weight (500lbs) behind the PS190 but it is sure nice to make that "sweet spot" larger since it feels more like riding a real wave. Like I said I think I got a bit carried away with the excessive fat sac weight, etc.

Its good to see other wakesurfers are out there tearing it up behind a Prostar!