PDA

View Full Version : 07 X2 LED Install

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 04:38 PM
this will be my comprehensive thread for my LED install... been at this for the better part of a month (off and on)... while my photography skills may be lacking my vision for this project has not... to date i've got through 3 phases of 5 on my project overall...

the first phase was to put 2 8mm LEDs above the cupholders and 2 4 LED Pods under the dash... the 8mm LEDs and the 4 LED Pods were ordered from www.plasmaLED.com... they were great and got shipments out quickly and while there wasn't a number to call their e-mail system was quick answering any questions...

All the power wires i ran using thermostat wire available at any home improvements store... i used red butt connectors to wire everything in... no problems as of yet w/ the life of the electrical connection...

the two LED Pods under the dash i mounted to the dash braces but will soon be moved to the outer walls facing inward to give a better glow effect instead of a shining (sorry the picture i'll post later do it NO justice)

the two 8mm LEDs (2 over each cupholder) are mounted w/ gorilla glue (the only thing i could find to adhere well enough to the fiberglass... hot glue DID NOT work as it would release when temps went up under the black cover as the boat was sitting in the driveway) and small squares of velcro... i glued the velcro to the LED and the other to the fiberglass so that the direction of the light is fully adjustable... ie you can keep the LED from spotlighting on an exact spot...

sorry no pics of phase 1... camera was borrowed by sister who took it w/ her when she returned to college

phase 2 was installing new interior "courtesy" lights... had to drill for this one... wasn't happy at all about it... but now that it's done it looks great and gives the desired effect... i replaced the factory courtesy w/ a M-400 unit from abyss lighting (also great to work with you)... installed pic below... again THE DRILLING WAS NOT FUN... used a hole saw bit in reverse which was tricky b/c there was nothing for the auger bit to "bite" into... i almost cried over it... but it's in now...

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 04:44 PM
the next step was to replace all the speaker grilles w/ "lit up" speaker grilles... thanks MYMC for the hook up on the grilles and after some careful modification to the grilles i added six 8mm LEDs to each speaker grille... drilled the hole through the speaker housing and... voila... after connecting a bunch of freaking wires and running power to each speaker locale... here's the photographic journey through lighting the grilles

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 04:47 PM
continued.............
this is before i got the JL AUDIO plate installed in the grille... just lazyness

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
shots of the grilles in and lit...
closeup
port side bow

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 04:54 PM
more...........
starboard bow
starboard bow w/ flash on
port side main area

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
and this is the boat through phases 1, 2, & 3... honestly pictures do no justice... at least my pictures don't... figuring out camera and all that fun stuff... it's a Sony DSC-H3
from the stern
from the bow

coz
08-06-2008, 05:05 PM
saweeeeet!:D

kgrove
08-06-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm interested in this... not in a "pimp my ride' kind of way, but more a "where the f- is my wallet" or a "tired of stubbing my toe on the anchor sitting on the floor in the dark" or a "that's not my drink, that's my buddy's spit cup" kind of way.

Is there a simple to acquire and install LED out there to replace the stock convenience lights with something that gives off more lumens?

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 05:26 PM
not in a "pimp my ride' kind of way, but more a "where the f- is my wallet" or a "tired of stubbing my toe on the anchor sitting on the floor in the dark" or a "that's not my drink, that's my buddy's spit cup" kind of way.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i know exactly what you're saying there

Is there a simple to acquire and install LED out there to replace the stock convenience lights with something that gives off more lumens?
abysslighting.com... there is a similar unit to what i installed available in white... the M-500... not bad just the drilling sucked... they really light the interior of the boat up... the blue isn't too bad for bugs but MAN... the white ones bring them in

kgrove
08-06-2008, 05:33 PM
What made the drilling so bad?

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
using a hole saw bit in reverse w/ nothing to guide you... the bit wanted to jump each time you made contact w/ the fiberglass b/c there was already a big hole there where the other courtesy light was so there was nothing for the auger or "guide" bit to hold to to keep the bit perfectly straight

JohnE
08-06-2008, 05:49 PM
using a hole saw bit in reverse w/ nothing to guide you... the bit wanted to jump each time you made contact w/ the fiberglass b/c there was already a big hole there where the other courtesy light was so there was nothing for the auger or "guide" bit to hold to to keep the bit perfectly straight

Depending on how much larger the new hole would be, I'd have done one of 2 things:

1. If the new hole was large enough to allow for a screw head inside the diameter of the new hole, you can screw a strip of plywood behind the old hole for the pilot bit to bite into.

2. If the new hole was just slightly larger, you could make a template (cut the hole in a scrap of smooth plywood) for the hole saw to run in and clamp/ tape/ hold it in place.

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 05:53 PM
yup totally free handed it w/ the hole saw bit... tried to put a piece of deck board behind the hole by the glass was too thick for the auger bit to reach...

JohnE
08-06-2008, 06:02 PM
yup totally free handed it w/ the hole saw bit... tried to put a piece of deck board behind the hole by the glass was too thick for the auger bit to reach...

You're either braver, better, smarter, or dumber than me, 'cause there's no way I would have freehanded it!:D

Nice job on the install. I'll be doing something like that on my 214 this winter. I hadn't really thought it out completely, but I'm going to take a real close look at your pic's now. Thanks for the thread.

JohnE
08-06-2008, 06:06 PM
the two 8mm LEDs (2 over each cupholder) are mounted w/ gorilla glue (the only thing i could find to adhere well enough to the fiberglass...]

How about some of that 3M double faced tape that #1 talks about?

2RLAKE
08-06-2008, 06:12 PM
awesome ... nicest one i've seen .... this is my winter project on my X14 ... have to make mine better than my friend's! incredible job on your boat and thanks for the tips

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 06:16 PM
You're either braver, better, smarter, or dumber than me, 'cause there's no way I would have freehanded it!:D

DING DING... WE HAVE A WINNER... SHOW THIS MAN WHAT HE'S WON BOB...

well i figured i'd post up some fairly detailed stuff here for everyone interested b/c i think it's a pretty decent job... just trying to do my part to give back to the boards here

kgrove
08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
How big is the original hole and how big is the hole for the replacement LED?

kgrove
08-06-2008, 06:49 PM
And I forgot to ask, other than the drilling I assume replacing the orginal lights with more powerful LEDs was as simple as clipping the wire off the old and attaching to the new? Or did you have to get new wires to each location for power?

JPenland
08-06-2008, 08:54 PM

Congrats on one best jobs I have seen. I was planning on something similar this winter. For the where is my iPod reason. FYI next time you need to drill a larger hole in something try a UNIBIT there cheep and won’t make you worry as much. The only down side is to have to be careful not to make hole to large.

Roonie's
08-06-2008, 08:59 PM
need more info on where the wire was run from and too.

Great install and looks sharp. May be a winter project for me.

Gonzo
08-07-2008, 12:10 AM
looks great

djhuff
08-07-2008, 09:50 AM
I did mine earlier this summer. Not as good as this one, but I went to the auto parts store, they have "strip" LEDs in 2in, 4in and 6in varieties. I put a 4in above each cupholder (self stick tape) and two 2in ones under the filler cushion shining down on my sub. Then got a 12 in neon tube to put under the dash. I'm debating adding some in the speaker grilles, and I think you may have talked me into it. Did it all in red to match the boat.

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 10:40 AM
How big is the original hole and how big is the hole for the replacement LED?
it was approximately 1"... i'm not sure exactly... the size but here's a link to the product that was in my '07 (http://www.hellamarine.com/?t=3&pcid=156)

And I forgot to ask, other than the drilling I assume replacing the orginal lights with more powerful LEDs was as simple as clipping the wire off the old and attaching to the new? Or did you have to get new wires to each location for power?

yep it's that simple... i had to run a goo bit more as i added a lot of locations but it wasn't too bad... main thing was keeping all the wiring out of sight

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 10:46 AM
need more info on where the wire was run from and too.

Great install and looks sharp. May be a winter project for me.

i jumped all the LEDs off my current interior courtesy lights... i wanted it all to work off the same switch and w/ LED pulling such a low amperage there's no problem w/ the number on the circuit... when i removed and replaced the existing courtesy lights i just added a "jumper off that which i could take to any where in the boat... i have both cupholders, port side main area speaker grille, and rear "courtesy" light off of the OEM power supply to the rear courtesy light and the rest of the speaker grilles and the 2 under the dash Pods from the OEM power supply to the front...

LEDs are great in the fact that you pretty much cannot over load the circuit... they're terrible in the fact that you have to make a LOT of really small wiring connections that have to be able to survive a marine environment

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I did mine earlier this summer. Not as good as this one, but I went to the auto parts store, they have "strip" LEDs in 2in, 4in and 6in varieties. I put a 4in above each cupholder (self stick tape) and two 2in ones under the filler cushion shining down on my sub. Then got a 12 in neon tube to put under the dash. I'm debating adding some in the speaker grilles, and I think you may have talked me into it. Did it all in red to match the boat.

the speaker girlles really weren't the worst part... just drill your holes like i did the grilles then MAKE SURE they match up to the ones you drilled in the speaker surround... i didn't even drill through the fiberglass... the wires are just sandwiched between there... no sound difference and obviously no visual difference... the only thing you have to do is when you're putting the grille back in place before you get the allen bolts (that hold the grille to the speaker and holds the speaker in place)make sure you tuck the wires up good in the grooves in the back of the grilles so there's no possible way you can see them... it'll come out clean

jgarner
08-07-2008, 02:39 PM
[QUOTE=wakeX2wake;526264]
the first phase was to put 2 8mm LEDs above the cupholders and 2 4 LED Pods under the dash... the 8mm LEDs and the 4 LED Pods were ordered from www.plasmaLED.com... they were great and got shipments out quickly and while there wasn't a number to call their e-mail system was quick answering any questions...

I was also looking at same LEDs for my X-2. I was considering one of the 4-LED pods above the cup holders to light up the entire area. After seeing both first hand do you think the 4-LED pod would be too much for the cupholders?

djhuff
08-07-2008, 05:23 PM
as far as switching, on mine, it's a three way switch, so I put the LEDs on the "all on" side of the switch, but still have the factory lights on the other one. Thought about adding some big "key finding" lights to that switch.

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=wakeX2wake;526264]

I was also looking at same LEDs for my X-2. I was considering one of the 4-LED pods above the cup holders to light up the entire area. After seeing both first hand do you think the 4-LED pod would be too much for the cupholders?

the thing with the four LED Pods for me was that once they're in there they're there... i like the 2 8mm bulbs per side b/c you can adjust them and make the shine wherever you want... it was just a call i made... i think 2 of the 4 Pod lights would be too much too

wakeX2wake
08-07-2008, 05:29 PM
as far as switching, on mine, it's a three way switch, so I put the LEDs on the "all on" side of the switch, but still have the factory lights on the other one. Thought about adding some big "key finding" lights to that switch.

that's a good idea... the kicker with mine is that i don't have any factory lights left except the dash and the one in the glove box... that's a really good idea though... dang now i might have to re-wire next year... have speakers on the on side and then all on the all on side... not a bad idea

Loffgren
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
do the LED's get hot? Just curious...

wakeX2wake
08-12-2008, 06:00 PM
do the LED's get hot? Just curious...

slightly warm to the touch... they get warm fairly rapid then stay at that temp constant... very mild... not nearly warm enough to harm anything... not nearly as warm as the whole boat gets under a black cover sitting outside all day

luvtang
08-12-2008, 10:18 PM
That Is Pretty Sweeet!! I Think M Tv Is Looking For You, To Start There New Show "pimp My Boat" Awsome Job

wakeX2wake
08-13-2008, 10:29 AM
That Is Pretty Sweeet!! I Think M Tv Is Looking For You, To Start There New Show "pimp My Boat" Awsome Job

haha skeeler and mymc are the guys for that one... i'm just a dummy w/ a drill and an imagination

Willytown
08-13-2008, 10:40 AM
great install. i installed LED's on my last X2 and they were great to have crusiing around at night. I just wired them into my washdown switch since I didnt have that option, the switch is alread hooked up to the battery and ready to go.

turbosdad
09-24-2008, 11:09 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA i know exactly what you're saying there

abysslighting.com... there is a similar unit to what i installed available in white... the M-500... not bad just the drilling sucked... they really light the interior of the boat up... the blue isn't too bad for bugs but MAN... the white ones bring them in
Abyss shows a m-500 and m-400 they refer the 400 as an overhead with spot lenses in white or red/blue or red/orange
they refer to the 500 as a courtesy light with flood lenses in same colors.

has this changed? is the 400 the one you would recommend? And what is the deal with the "bi-color" Can you make it blue only?

wakeX2wake
09-25-2008, 09:55 AM
the unit i installed in place for the interior courtesy lights is actually an overhead unit... the M-400... its an exterior overhead unit... it is suited great for this application if you want a lot more light... the M400 i can promise you the actual light is blue its not shot through a blue lens... i haven't seen the M500 to know for sure but the folks at Abyss Lighting are great to help w/ any problems

as for the bi-color thing there is a common ground on the unit and there's color coded (how sweet of them) power wires... i put a cap on the red and hooked up the blue... it was that easy... (to be honest i don't even think i needed the cap but i put it on anyways to be safe)...

my only recommendation is that you wire the light in and make sure its what you want before doing anything more costly and permanent

wakeX2wake
10-01-2008, 10:40 AM
ok it's really been done for about a month and a half now but i just took some final pictures last night... the project is COMPLETE

the tower

and the underwaters c/o Abyss Lighting

wakeX2wake
10-01-2008, 10:47 AM
more from the blue platform monster... i can't say enough about how bad a$$ these look w/ the boat on plane at night... and they look really good from behind surfing too

sorry for the very poor picture quality... these do it NO justice

i'm hoping for a digital SLR from Santa this yr :D... if nothing else i'm sure you guys would like to see a decent picture quality instead of my pictures that make you think you're on acid

wakeX2wake
10-01-2008, 10:56 AM
and if anyone is wondering why i went w/ blue...

Davidb
10-06-2008, 01:04 AM
Wow, that is a freaking cool project! The install was clean and it looks great!:worthy:

wakeX2wake
10-06-2008, 08:22 AM
thanks for the props... i don't know that i'll ever do it to another boat but i'm glad i got it done on this one

aaronfuller@windstream.net
10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
hey wakex2wake your install looks sick... i plan on putting some leds on my x-45 this winter but was just curious how and where you connect the leds wiring into? and some tips you might have i plan on doing the 8mm like you did just in red.

wakeX2wake
10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
as far as wiring them in... i simply spliced into the current wiring for the courtesy lights and ran wire from there... i had to run wires for the under the dash, the two front speakers' lights, and the speaker lights at the helm wired in w/ the new "courtesy light" in the front and then each set of cup holders and the other main area speaker lights and wired in w/ the new rear "courtesy light" for the rear all in one connection there... all in the same connection (so as to minimize connections)... where the current courtesy lights come through the seat bases in the front and back is where i made my main connections... the LEDs pull so little current that you pretty much can't overload a circuit in your boat (i put my tower lights all on one switch and i have 24 LEDs in there)... i was able to keep all the wiring out of sight and in place pretty well but i was fairly lucky w/ the x2 b/c under the middle back seat is the transmission and i don't use the storage under the front seat... so all the connections are in very low traffic areas

my only advice is that when taking your speakers in and out... MINIMIZE THIS... those speakers are put in w/ screws that are screwed into fiberglass no kind of nut or anything on the back so once you strip it that's it... you have to go to a type of backing or something different that complicates your life... dont tighten too much and avoid stripping out these holes... also your tower speakers don't have to be air tight... i had water in mine when i took the speakers out of them but i did make sure to get a really good seal when doing them to avoid rattling and future "tighten downs"... i don't know if i answered everything but anything you need just let me know

aaronfuller@windstream.net
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM
yeah you answered them all i plan on installing mine this winter so if i come into any complications i will give you a post.. also i will post my pics when i get x-45 done
thanks-wakex2wake

pagelk
12-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Nice....I would consider it with my own blue X2, but I have red gauges! Thinking about getting the underwater lights done at Mastercraft of Charlotte this winter. Quick question, looking back, would you do anything differently? Do anything more/not do something?

wakeX2wake
12-05-2008, 11:10 AM
the only thing i'm really considering doing differently w/ the project is putting some kind of tint or light deflector on the top half of the main light in the interior of the boat... its kind of bright when you look back and look into it... everything else i'm really happy w/... i'm actually considering putting two more underwaters on the back to make it that much brighter... the water i'm in mostly isn't the cleanest in the world so they don't show up as bright as i'd like but they look great on cleaner bodies of water

as far as things i'd still like to do...

i'd like to find back lights for my gauges that would be blue enough to make them look really blue and also for my ballast gauges... i experimented w/ a few different bulbs and i never could get the look i wanted so i gave up on it

i'd also like to replace the switches so that the tips of the switches are blue instead of red... i'm kind of hesitant on this b/c the red tips on the switches look cool when half of them a lit up but i'd like to know what it'd look like w/ the blue ones

i'd like a panel for the left side of my dash made exactly like the others that had the correct switch labels... currently i have the interior speaker lights on my "wash down" switch and i have my underwaters on my "seat heat" switch... it doesn't matter but something about me would just like them to have the correct labels

the underwaters aren't bad to do yourself... haha before you do be prepared for some rectal fatigue... hahaha read Sodar's thread on installing his underwaters haha good read and he's got it laid out very well w/ some good pics

azthunder
12-08-2008, 12:18 AM
Extremely nice touch!! I'm inspired now to do the same...yep, I've decided, I'm gonna do it.

Justjoe
12-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Finished installing my underwater lights (first two anyways). Wake, if you were going to put in two more, where would you mount them? I still have two in a box that we were going to put on my father in laws boat. Maybe I'll snake them for mine.

Got the blue switches on my christmas list. My 197 has blue, so I know they look cool.

wakeX2wake
12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
if i were putting them on mine i'd have to put them about half way between the exhaust cutout on the x2 and the corner of the boat (i'm sure there's a really cool nautical term for this part of the boat but i don't know what it is) and i'd have to make sure they were at the same hull depth...

i was looking at it w/ a friend of mine and he all but had me talked into putting two more on there... i know you can get a greater intensity of light but that's really not the issue w/ me... w/ the current placement of mine i wish the light would "fan out" wider on the back of the boat... but to be honest i wouldn't have installed them any differently than i did originally...

they look awesome w/ the boat on plane and the whole wake and boat spray glow... there are a couple of bridges we ride under when we stay in town and ride the river and i've had people call me and say anything from "i see your blue a$$ on the water" to "man those underwater lights look sweet from the bridge"

ps i'm a little jealous joe... i would have requested those but i'm not too sure anyone who would drop that kind of dinero on me for Christmas would have gotten them ordered correctly

Waketn
12-08-2008, 12:19 PM
thats cool

Justjoe
12-26-2008, 10:18 PM
How did you get the white rings off the speaker enclosures?? I can get the grill off, but the rings seem bombproof!

Justjoe
12-26-2008, 10:24 PM
Got the blue lighted switches (whoo hoo!!). Started installing them and they look pretty good. The light color is not as blue as the other LED's in the boat (they seem to be a little greenish). I had a similar problem with two sets of three light LED's in the bow, and intend on switching them out to match the rest of the boat. The two in the front were ordered at at different time than the others, so i assume it's an issue of the product lot or something.

Taking pictures of this stuff is pretty difficult. I tried to get some today from in the barn, but I need to work on my long shutter speed photography skills. Going to charge my batteries and make an effort again tomorrow.

wakeX2wake
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
joe... the rings are part of the speaker... the speakers are in two parts... grille and rest... they'll just pull right out.. ultimately assuming you're working on the same speakers as i am

Justjoe
01-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Ok cool. Work is coming along nicely. Replaced most of the switches, got my transom lights wired in, got my speaker grilles wired, and half of them in today. Boat is beginning to look awesome.

mccobmd
01-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Hey wake, when you get older you go home before dark. That being said that install is awesome.

wakeX2wake
01-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Hey wake, when you get older you go home before dark. That being said that install is awesome.

hahaha yea i can imagine that will be the case but as for now i just don't think you can beat sitting in the middle of the lake w/ the lights on, toes in the water, a$$ on the swim deck, and a cold one in hand soaking up a warm summer night...

yep i'm ready for it to not be January and cold

vectorama
01-28-2009, 01:55 PM
That is a fantastic install and it looks great. I wish I could get my mom to do that to her houseboat.

Ibex144
03-27-2009, 10:27 PM
This is awsome how much did it cost what exactly did you have to buy?

proporjet
03-28-2009, 08:48 PM
That is really cool. I don't even have my X2 yet and I want that! That might show off my crooked carpet though......darn. Really nice job!

KnoxX2
03-28-2009, 09:57 PM
The cost of an install like this is low if you do the work yourself!!!!!!

Go to superbrightleds.com!

That is where I got everything! I think WakeX2wake got his also!!!!!!

Justjoe
03-28-2009, 10:09 PM
That's where I got my stuff too. Easy work, and fairly cheap to do.

wakeX2wake
03-30-2009, 10:00 AM
This is awsome how much did it cost what exactly did you have to buy?

i think i did it all for right around $200... that includes buying the LEDs, speaker gilles (thanks Mike), abyss interior LEDs, thermostat or doorbell wire, and connectors...

the abyss underwater lights are a different story though... they were about $250 bought and installed... i had those done i just did the wiring myself

Ibex144
04-30-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey man thaks for the great idea here's my X2 only differance is I got the 24 inch led strips for above the cup holders and I just drilled out the stock curtasy lights and put in a 8mm led same as speakers. only thing left is the two tower speakers I am going to put them on the same circut as the glove box curt light so I can have all of them on at once or shut the tower lights off. Anyways awsome idea sorry to be a copy.

bwatso01
05-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Your LED install looks awesome!!!
Here is some pics of my LED install on an 08 X-45.
I had it done by a dealer and they did a pretty good job.
I think I may change the LEDs on the tower speakers to the bottom of the grille to shine up instead of down...they are too bright.
Are the speaker grilles pretty easy to remove?

nauti-dreamer
07-22-2011, 12:31 AM
more from the blue platform monster... i can't say enough about how bad a$$ these look w/ the boat on plane at night... and they look really good from behind surfing too

sorry for the very poor picture quality... these do it NO justice

i'm hoping for a digital SLR from Santa this yr :D... if nothing else i'm sure you guys would like to see a decent picture quality instead of my pictures that make you think you're on acid

@ WakeX2Wake, I gotta say the blue "afterburners" are pretty stunning even in a shotty photo. Makes we wonder how RED or White would look. I've got a Red 214 and was exploring the idea you've presented.

nauti-dreamer
07-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Anyone have input/feedback on Stingerz Level 1 Boating Kit or the remote toggle for the interior lighting?

See both Here (http://www.customdynamics.com/boating/led_boating_accent_lights.htm).

BrooksfamX2
12-08-2011, 05:39 PM
What lights are on the transom below the rub rail?

wbreaux
12-19-2012, 10:21 PM
I know this is quite the thread dig but I have an 07 X2 and I'd really like to do something like this on my boat. The only thing that scares me is drilling into the fiberglass. Also if I did this I'd be interested in doing the tower speaker leds as well as some under water leds. I know some of you have done the tower speaker ones yourselves but I have wetsounds so I'm not sure if it'd be the same install.

x45surfer
07-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Wake2Wake thanks for posting. Your setup looks awesome. My question is can you see your interior lights from outside the cabin, and thus attract attention from the police?

Thanks,

wakeX2wake
07-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Wake2Wake thanks for posting. Your setup looks awesome. My question is can you see your interior lights from outside the cabin, and thus attract attention from the police?

Thanks,

The only thing you can really see is that everybody in the boat kind of glows blue when you're pretty close to the boat... otherwise the reflection is lost in the darkness... The Nav lights still are the main thing you can see as far as lighting goes.

I have been approached about my blue tower speaker lights on one occasion however... which is why i put them on a spearate switch initially... I told him i'd be happy to turn them off. after a brief tounge lashing and quoting the rule book about blue lights above the "rubrail"... he complimented the setup and said he thought it was smart to have as many lights on as possible to make yourself visible as long as it didn't disrupt others visibility on the water.

sgoyal
07-23-2013, 12:18 PM
I agree with wakeX2wake. I was docking my boat on Lake Lanier, GA. The sheriif was waiting for Jet Ski guy since he had 9-10 years old kid on tube at 9:30pm (on top of that NO STERN LIGHT). He was like what is this Blue underwater and around your speaker in the boat. I said it's called Bling Bling LOL.. My wife was staring at me and thinking that I'm looking for trouble. He told me that he has no issue as long as DNR doesn't care. plus, he mentioned that he's seeing so many on Lake Lanier lately and looks really cool.

Grant777
08-20-2013, 03:09 AM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/08/20/teqavy8y.jpg

A quick photo of the front LED's I purchased from Sumit.

clrussell
08-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Awesome!

Quinten
04-07-2014, 05:06 AM
Sorry to bump up this old thread.
But trying to do the leds in the speaker. Wich size of hex key do you juse for the speakers? Tried metric size and english sizes. But didn't find one that fitted :s.

Did you need to make a hole in the speaker to run the wire?

Kyle
04-07-2014, 12:37 PM
I did this to my boat after I saw this thread. Let me find pics.

Kyle
04-07-2014, 12:52 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=34078

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/unude9av.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/abyqaru6.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/e5y2uvys.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/07/umy8e4yt.jpg

I totally used the OP's idea and ran with it. He may have pics of his install

The JL doesn't have hex screws. Has 2 Phillips holding on the grill. If you have coax then you must unwire the connection at the xover and let the grill pull out the wire when you separate. The wire stays with the grill basically.

If you have components then you just take the 2 Phillips out on back side of the grill and separate.

Note that you must drill holes on the opposite side as the mounting holes. This means you drill through the speaker case right and left of every mounting hole.

Zoom in on my above install and you will see the 3 holes per mounting area. This is to run the led wire through the speaker.

I will also say that lighting up the inside is a pita. Rings are much faster and easier. I have both. If you are a impatient person and rush things then lighting up the insides will be very stressful to you. It takes a lot of steady hands drilling through the speaker and lots of tedious work gluing the led on and routing all of the wires.

Quinten
04-07-2014, 01:28 PM
I will take the time to do the inside, looks cleaner in my opinion.
But I will take youre way less drilling and we have the coax
What do you mean with xover? And the phillips screw isn't that to take the speaker out and not to take the grill of?

Kyle
04-07-2014, 01:53 PM
You've lost me. Read my thread that is linked above my pictures in last post. In that thread it has a lot of how to.

Take the 6 screws out that mount the speaker to the boat.

Turn the speaker on its face so the magnet is up. 2 Phillips screws are on the rubber outer ring that secure the grill to the speaker.

If you have components the grill will come off now. If you have coax the the tweeter is built into the grill. Look at my pics in my thread. The tweeter power wires are snaked through the outer speaker through the back casing and into the factory crossover. You must disconnect and pull the tweeter wires from the crossover. Then once you get the wires pulled out from the speaker case you can slide the grill off and the wires will pull through the speaker.

You must drill 10 holes per speaker. Idk what you mean about less drilling?

Quinten
04-07-2014, 02:05 PM
I think we both mean different screws.
I searched for a picture.
This are the screws I referred and are hex by our boat.

Kyle
04-07-2014, 02:14 PM
I think we both mean different screws.
I searched for a picture.
This are the screws I referred and are hex by our boat.

Those are mounting screws. Mine are Phillips.

Do you have coax or components?

If the Allen screws are not stripped then find the correct size wrench.
If you are using a all in one hand held kit then I would not be surprised that you can't find the right size. There are a lot of metric and standard wrenches. Keep looking for one that fits.

Quinten
04-08-2014, 04:33 AM
Thank you sir for the help.
I think it are coax speakers, because of the small speaker in the middle.

Tried 1/8 and 5/32 inch and 3 and 4 mm hex. So I'm going to searche a 9/64 inch and 3.5 mm.

Kyle
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Thank you sir for the help.
I think it are coax speakers, because of the small speaker in the middle.

Tried 1/8 and 5/32 inch and 3 and 4 mm hex. So I'm going to searche a 9/64 inch and 3.5 mm.

If your speakers are like mine with the tweeter built into the grill then you have coax.

If the speakers are like the OP in this thread where the tweeter is mounted off to the side of the speaker then you have components.

Since you have coax speakers, I would recommend putting the led on the outside of the grills. The OP put is towards the center. I speak from experience when I say the coax tweeter blocks a lot of the light. I had to move the led out so the speaker would light up. The OP's way works very well with component style speakers because the center is open. Just trying to save you time. If you want to try the two ways tape the led in place and use a battery to light it up. Move the led around until you find the way that fits your need best. Then silicon or glue in the led. Note that superglue works but from experience over time the glue pops free and the led bounced around. Careful with hot glue bc you can melt the resistor for the LEDs. I used hot glue and was careful.

Good luck on the Allen wrench. I would go back with Phillips when you put the speakers back in.

Quinten
04-09-2014, 05:04 AM
There are some helpfull tips :)
I will keep those tips in mind and use them.
Today I'm going to buy the right allen hopefuly .