PDA

View Full Version : Ski Binding Help

ski_king
04-25-2005, 06:31 PM
Ok, I am almost embarassed to ask this question :o

I have been sking on a 20 year old ski with a high wrap binding. Today my new Mapple with a Obrien BIO binding arrived. :dance:

I have a small foot 7.5, but the dealer suggested I go with the M binding and said I could swap it for a S if it was too loose. So here I am trying to get this #@&* thing on. Yes I know you need to be in the water to get it on right. I wetted the binding and my foot and lubed them both good. The lacing is loose, but it seems like I still cant get the #@&* thing on. Seems like I need to bend my foot/ankle in a way it won't go.
My wife and kids are laughing at me, things are looking bad.
Any suggestions?

I went thru this same thing last spring when I tried on the kids wakeboard.

sfitzgerald351
04-25-2005, 06:36 PM
Are you using some sort of binding lube or just water? I have to soap my hi-wraps up pretty good to slip into them. And yes, it's difficult. Without the lube, forget it!

And I found that I have to do my rear foot first and then the front. Tried the other way around the first time and thought I was going to break my foot in half (also fell off the swim platform which amused the peanut gallery in the boat)

Ric
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
I have no experience with the bio, but I'd say more slime and do it on the platform.
you may be washing off all the slime if you try to put the ski on while in the water.
I wet the boots, wet my feet, slime up the boots.

ski_king
04-25-2005, 06:51 PM
Thanks guys, got it on. Just needed to double the amount of lube I was using and bend my ankle foot to the point just before something snaps.
If anything maybe a little loose, but maybe in the water the lube will wash out and it will be fine.
Keep in mind I was trying this on in the middle of the living room floor with a washpan full of water and slime.

All is fine now, except for the wet/slimey spot in the middle of the living room.

MarkP
04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Ok, I am almost embarassed to ask this question :o

I have been sking on a 20 year old ski with a high wrap binding. Today my new Mapple with a Obrien BIO binding arrived. :dance:

I have a small foot 7.5, but the dealer suggested I go with the M binding and said I could swap it for a S if it was too loose. So here I am trying to get this #@&* thing on. Yes I know you need to be in the water to get it on right. I wetted the binding and my foot and lubed them both good. The lacing is loose, but it seems like I still cant get the #@&* thing on. Seems like I need to bend my foot/ankle in a way it won't go.
My wife and kids are laughing at me, things are looking bad.
Any suggestions?

“Any suggestions”,:o . I sure do Denny. First off send the wife and kids out of the room. I think if you just make sure you have the “soap” in the right spot, (inside on the front and inside at the back) the spots that your foot will contact when sliding in.

I don’t think it matters what foot goes in first but I always put my front foot in and then the back foot… I, unless the water is really cold, put my ski on in the water with no problem but it may be more difficult to do that with laces.

Congrats on the new ski:headbang:

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 07:26 PM
I would have paid to have a video of that!

rodltg2
04-25-2005, 08:12 PM
use "hot loogy" best binding lubricant on earth. smells like pina colada too!

MarkP
04-25-2005, 08:20 PM
pina colada sounds good!:friday:

WakeSeeky
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
Thanks guys, got it on. Just needed to double the amount of lube I was using and bend my ankle foot to the point just before something snaps.

Well, now that you got it on... congratulations on the new ski! How long until you get to try it out??

ski_king
04-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Well, now that you got it on... congratulations on the new ski! How long until you get to try it out??
Maybe not for a few weeks, but hopefully by Memorial Day weekend.

I will have it with me when I go to camp this weekend to mow grass, etc. Hopefully I can bum a ride with someone. Might have to be a SN.... better than nothing!

east tx skier
04-26-2005, 12:49 PM
I don't know if this will work on a hardshell hybrid like the bio, but here's my routine for attaching the stick to my feet on the platform.

1. Dip ski in water so that both bindings fill with water.
2. Generously apply binding lube to each boot.
3. Step on top of each boot and squish it down so that the lube gets dispersed a bit better.
4. Dip one foot at a time in the water and insert in boot.
5. In one swift motion, jump up and out off the platform.
6. Ski 'til it hurts.

I've been told that some people have better luck with the longevity of their bindings using the white Ivory or Dove soaps. I've been using clear wire lube 70/30 with water, but it doesn't seem to work as well. I hear the yellow or green wire lube is better. I may go to a dilluted version of Ivory this year. No overlay problems with my animals yet and they see plenty of soap when we're not in our boat.

WakeSeeky
04-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Maybe not for a few weeks, but hopefully by Memorial Day weekend.

I will have it with me when I go to camp this weekend to mow grass, etc. Hopefully I can bum a ride with someone. Might have to be a SN.... better than nothing!

No doubt. Hope all goes well, then, and you get to check it out!

Ryan
02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
I've got to share my old pics...
Different model , but the frustrating same issue. They should loosen up after a season (relative terms here). Until then, you can soak them in hot water and wear them cinched up really tight. I've known some people to wear them in a Jaccuzi.

For reference, my wife has a size 8 (women's) and had a heck of a time getting into my bindings when she tried it...once...never to try again. She gets into her new medium Animals with ease. 'Cuz the laces go all the way down, what a concept.

Ryan
02-15-2006, 07:47 PM
If that doesn't work, or, after your feet go dead numb. Soak the bindings in hot water stuff a full water bottle into the binding and cinch up the laces. I have a pic of this too, but can't find it right now.

88 PS190
02-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Ryan has it right, with new bindings i put them on and use my computer, but don't forget they are there. that means no circulation.

Lovin my new Double 66 from fluid motion. Oh man they are comfy, no pinching, no cramping. I'm pumped for spring.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
02-16-2006, 08:14 PM
All is fine now, except for the wet/slimey spot in the middle of the living room.
anybody......anybody.....anybody? :uglyhamme

BrianM
02-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Any suggestions?

One word..........

HARDSHELLS

Larryp
02-16-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't know if this will work on a hardshell hybrid like the bio, but here's my routine for attaching the stick to my feet on the platform.

1. Dip ski in water so that both bindings fill with water.
2. Generously apply binding lube to each boot.
3. Step on top of each boot and squish it down so that the lube gets dispersed a bit better.
4. Dip one foot at a time in the water and insert in boot.
5. In one swift motion, jump up and out off the platform.
6. Ski 'til it hurts.

I've been told that some people have better luck with the longevity of their bindings using the white Ivory or Dove soaps. I've been using clear wire lube 70/30 with water, but it doesn't seem to work as well. I hear the yellow or green wire lube is better. I may go to a dilluted version of Ivory this year. No overlay problems with my animals yet and they see plenty of soap when we're not in our boat.
Hillarious, found out the bar of soap works when on vacation and ran out slime. Now we always have a bar for the morning bath in the lake and the rest of the day for bindings. Last forever too and cheaper. I use the Lever 2000.