PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding tow vehicle

Masternorth
08-06-2008, 01:09 PM
I need to replace my 2004 Toyota Sequoia as the lease is ending. I am very satisfied with the truck in general but the inside of the rear door and hatch is all rusted and I claim that it is due to poor design of the back window seals but Toyota refused to pay for it. All of this to say that I will not buy another Toyota.

I have 4 children so we are always 6 in the truck plus luggage and 2 coolers. I am considering the Yukon XL and the Expedition EL (Max in Canada). I find the seating in the 3rd row of the Yukon very low on the floor.

My other choices for a smaller truck would be the Honda Pilot or the Buick Enclave which have reasonable trunks when you fold the 2/3 of the 3rd row. My worry is the towing capacity of those vehicles. I bought a new X2 2008 and my dealer tells me that it weights with trailer and gas and gear close to 5,000 pounds.

Any comments? Suggestions?

Thank you,

ttu
08-06-2008, 01:14 PM
that is kind of weird about the rusting. i owned a 01 and 05 sequoia and never had that issue.

i bought a 07 tahoe when they first came out. a much better improvement over the previous body style of the tahoe, but not a whole lot of leg room in the 2nd and 3rd row.

that being said when the 08 sequoia came out i went and test drove one. all i can really say is wow. tons of room, lexus like ride and plenty of power to pull the boat.

i know have 7K miles on it and it has been great.

jkski
08-06-2008, 01:25 PM
When in doubt, going with a bigger vehicle is generally better, as you never want the item you are pulling to control the vehicle pulling it. If you are not towing much at all, then you can probably get away with a smaller vehicle, where the towing capacity is closer to the weight you are looking to pull, but if you plan any trips, you will appreciate the better control and stopping ability that typically comes with a larger vehicle like a Yukon.
Personally, I tow with a 2006 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 Diesel and love it.

norris_ps205
08-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I've got an '05 X9 that I tow with an '07 Suburban. I love it...tows with ease, even on steep, slippery ramps, and has a ton of room. I've got 3 kids and a dog, and never have a problem with kids, dog, luggage, etc.

We've also used it as the "designated driver" vehicle with friends when we go out for a night on the town. 4 couples, so we have had 3 people in the 3rd row. We put the smallest one's back there, and they don't complain about it.

CottagerGreg
08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Go big or go home... you'll never notice the boat behind this bad boy!

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
Go big or go home...!

this coming from a guy who has a 40th-star... you realize you ARE THAT KID

Plymouth Family Guy
08-06-2008, 02:57 PM
We pull our 2002 Maristar 210 with a 2008 Chevrolet Suburban. The 2008 replaced a 2001 GMC Yukon XL. The Suburban is almost identical to the Yukon XL - main difference is the front end (headlights and grill). The Suburban pulls the boat with ease. A couple of features I like on the Suburban is the back up camera, which makes hooking up the trailer very easy, and the third row seat now is 50/50 so you can fold down half of the third row seat if you want. My kids like the fact that the second row seats can be folded up by the push of a button. My five year old spent twenty minutes in the truck pushing the button to make the seats fold down and then pulling them back up and doing it all over again. This feature makes access to the third seat really easy for the kids. We didn't look at the Ford because we have had such good luck with the Suburbans/Yukons in the past.

Good luck on your search.

ShamrockIV
08-06-2008, 03:22 PM
my yukon xl works great!!!!!!

Ski-me
08-06-2008, 03:31 PM
I love my 3/4 Yukon XL, too! I have the 8.1L so it pulls like a Mack Truck.....in exchange for a little fuel:rolleyes:

If gas is a concern, I think the 1/2 suburban (Yukon XL) is a great choice.

GM has really refined these trucks. If money is nothing to you, get the Yukon XL Denali. It has the larger 6.2L engine and a 6 speed. The standard suburbans have teh 5.3L and 4 speed only. The Denali is also all-wheel-drive.

bhowell
08-06-2008, 03:46 PM
The big SUV's are really cheap now, could not have picked a better time to buy one. For your needs, the Expedition or Yukon should work great. We ship a bunch of vehicles over to Canada, feel free to contact me bhowell@howellford.com if I can help.

Bill

Hrkdrivr
08-06-2008, 04:05 PM
When in doubt, going with a bigger vehicle is generally better...

What jksi said...go the biggest you can afford...there's nothing like a long WHEEL BASE to tame an ornery trailer load.

Masternorth
08-06-2008, 04:10 PM
"that is kind of weird about the rusting. i owned a 01 and 05 sequoia and never had that issue."

Might be because your truck doesn't spend 5 months a year in snow and salt! That being said, can you confirm if the space behind the 3 rd row of the Sequoia is quite smaller than with the previous versions? I had that impression when I looked at them at the auto show. There is none of those trucks in the dealer in the Quebec Province. It is impossible to see a Sequoia, Yukon XL/Suburban or Expedition. Nobody wants to have them on inventory...

It makes trying them very difficult!

Masternorth
08-06-2008, 04:24 PM
Anybody owns a Infiniti QX56? It seems to have a lot of space behind 3rd row without being an extended version. I might buy the next truck second hand as the prices are falling on those great eco friendly vehicles!

ttu
08-06-2008, 04:45 PM
on my 08 sequoia, the drop in ice chest from my x2 fit's easily in the rear with the 3rd row seats in use. could easily get 2 in there.

i looked at the infinity qx56. the resale was horrible. insurance much higher. but with the high gas price's all suv's resale has dropped.

Ski-me
08-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Anybody owns a Infiniti QX56? It seems to have a lot of space behind 3rd row without being an extended version. I might buy the next truck second hand as the prices are falling on those great eco friendly vehicles!

My uncle has one and from what I hear, he loves it! He had suburbans before but I do think they like the Infiniti much more. He probably tows a 23' fishing boat with an outboard motor. Pretty heavy I guess.....trailer is double axle.

endl
08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
The 09 GMC, and Chevy's I believe are available with the 403 HP motor that was in the Cadillac's in 07 and 08. Plus I am sure you can pick those up at a deal since SUV's are not moving very well. That motor is a beast and you can get the third row seating. Only Problem a cooler will not fit behind the third row seating in a Yukon or Tahoe. You definately would need the Suburban.

coz
08-06-2008, 06:38 PM
We have an Expedition and for towing it's great, it's got the power to pull and room for the family :D

brucemac
08-06-2008, 06:58 PM
i bought an 06 Denali XL a couple years ago and absolutely love it. personally, i like the looks of the new suburban LTZ's over the 07+ denali's (mine was the last year of the old body style 06).

mine has the 6 and the new one's have the 6.2's. i'm betting you could probably get a pretty screaming deal right now. we were going to wait until the new LTZ's came out, until we found out what they thought they were first going to charge for them and then we went ahead and bought our denali.

one word of advice, (other's may jab me for this), spring for the extra warranty. don't do it at the time of purchase because they'll gouge you, but buy a GM branded warranty prior to yours expiring and you'll be able to get a good deal on it. i think 07 is when they went to 100K on the drivetrain, but the extra warranty covers just about EVERYTHING including electrical. mine has paid for itself now after only two visits for minor issues. the cost for mine to take it to like 80K or something like that was around $1800. if you go down the GM route, there's a guy who sells the GM plans for cheap online. let me know and i can get you his name. he was WAY cheaper than anybody else and it's legit and GM, not some 3rd party garbage.

good luck, and personally you can't go wrong with either of those two GM's.

oh, and one more word of advice. DON'T get the tahoe or straight yukon with 4 kids. we have 3 kids and if you leave that 3rd seat in the yukon you've got just about zero room in the back for gear. even with our XL we had to add a roof rack this year for road trips. but we carry enough gear to fly to the moon and back :D

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/609649.jpg

kmillard92
08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Go with either the Yukon XL or a Suburban...have an '08 Suburban LT and it is wonderful :)

CottagerGreg
08-06-2008, 09:18 PM
this coming from a guy who has a 40th-star... you realize you ARE THAT KID

Truck is not mine... friend uses it to tow their fishing boat.. also horse trailers...

I have a 40th yes.... I also have a education and great job... I've paid my dues... Def not a kid... thanks for trying...

ShamrockIV
08-06-2008, 09:23 PM
i agree since they are close to same price the yukon xl or suburban are much better than the yukon or tahoe!!!

OHIOPRO205
08-06-2008, 10:34 PM
I would go with the yukon xl or suburban for sure. I had a 99 3/4 ton sub. and now I have a 03 Yukon XL with the 5.3L. Towes like a dream, and you can haul 8 people and all of your other gear!

Masternorth
08-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Update:

I was able to try a QX56 tonight and it is great, engine is quick and responsive (no lag time), the interior is very quiet and comfortable. The 3rd row is high enough that your knees do not hit your chin on every bump but... it is so expensive and no special cash back or other promotions. Depretiation on a lease is at 40% after 4 years.

I find that the Yukon Denali is the best looking of the trucks but the 3rd row is a real disappointment when you compare to the competition that offers power foldable in the floor1/3-2/3rd seats with room for the feet.

Following your comments, I will add the Sequoia to the list and keep the Expedition and QX56 on it. I will have a loook at the second hand 08 with low mileage. I found a second hand 08 expedition limited extended for 15,000$ less than best price after rebates for new. It has 22 inch wheels which do not fit my family man image....

I`ll keep you posted on developments

99xstar
08-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I would rule out the Pilot. Tried to tow my 99 xstar with my wife's 2006 pilot and no-go. Would not make it up the drive from my basement at lake (pretty steep driveway). The Pilot is rated at 4500 lbs max with 4wd.

T Scott
08-06-2008, 11:34 PM
Update:

I was able to try a QX56 tonight and it is great, engine is quick and responsive (no lag time), the interior is very quiet and comfortable. The 3rd row is high enough that your knees do not hit your chin on every bump but... it is so expensive and no special cash back or other promotions. Depretiation on a lease is at 40% after 4 years.

I find that the Yukon Denali is the best looking of the trucks but the 3rd row is a real disappointment when you compare to the competition that offers power foldable in the floor1/3-2/3rd seats with room for the feet.

Following your comments, I will add the Sequoia to the list and keep the Expedition and QX56 on it. I will have a loook at the second hand 08 with low mileage. I found a second hand 08 expedition limited extended for 15,000$ less than best price after rebates for new. It has 22 inch wheels which do not fit my family man image....

I`ll keep you posted on developments

If you like qx56 but feel it is overpriced, you may want to consider a nissan armada. Same chassis, body style and engine configuration.

dummy
08-06-2008, 11:51 PM
Bought the wife an '04 Durango new and it's been a great vehicle for the past 4 years and 80K miles. Zero issues, plenty of room, 3rd row, 335hp Hemi, and it knocks down 19-23mpg on the freeway (3.55 gears & 2WD). The 3.91 gears and 4WD could kill the mileage a little if that's what you go for, but if you get a new one it'll have the MDS cylinder deactivation that shuts down 4 cylinders when not needed. That really helps mileage if you keep the speed under 75mph.

I used it to tow my Jeeps around until I bought my Cummins pickup. It had no trouble hauling 7K or so. Don't know what the deal is in Canada, but down here in the 50 we get a lifetime warranty on gas Dodge vehicles. Hard to beat that.

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd176/chinhazel/IMG_0306.jpg

brucemac
08-07-2008, 12:36 AM
huh, they must have changed the 3rd row seating in 07 because the height/leg-room in my 06 is nearly the same as the 2nd row captains chairs...bummer. good luck!

BrianM
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Of all of the large SUVs the QX56 has the worst reliability according to Consumer Reports. The Armada for some reason has much better reliability and less expensive.

jimmies1
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Check this out:
http://www.eliteautosllc.com/vehicles.php/vehicle_index/5/vehicle_id/95
We build a variety of lifted trucks for resale. My X80 feels like a john boat behind this truck.

Masternorth
08-07-2008, 02:09 PM
Check this out:
http://www.eliteautosllc.com/vehicles.php/vehicle_index/5/vehicle_id/95
We build a variety of lifted trucks for resale. My X80 feels like a john boat behind this truck.

I will just need to put 1 kid in the trunck and it's perfect!

Ric
08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Hey ump, it looks like there are no steals on diesels here in the land of the urban cowboy, so I found the so-called replacement to the 1500HD... The vortecmax crew cab.

Dear Truck Mfg's.... Can you make a smaller truck bed for us? We really really want that :rolleyes:

looks like it may be my next truck.

Masternorth
08-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Update:

I was seriously considering buying a second Sequoia but I got a great deal on a 2008 Expedition EL Limited with every possible options and 22" wheels. I bought it in an auction 1 hour ago in Nevada for 30% less than the best price for a new. It only has 7,000 miles on it. I guess that a black truck with a black interior is not very popular in Nevada...

Thank you everybody for your input. Thanks Doug for the Sequoia pictures, it had me thinking but the deal was too sweet to miss on the Ford. It will be my first Ford ever so I hope I won't regret it.

Here is the detail and picture:

MECHANICAL
8 Cylinder Gas
Automatic w O/D
4X4
Pwr Brakes
5.4 L

INTERIOR
Odometer - 7 Digits Digital Operable
Clean
BLK - Leather
Int Odor: OK
Wood Trim Dash

OPTIONS
Pwr Lock
Pwr Window
Tilt Steering
Cruise Ctl
CD Player
Dual Air Bags
Power Mirrors
Power Folding Mirrors
Tinted Windows
Trip Counter
CD Changer - OEM - 6.00
Power Trunk/Liftgate
Third Seat
Keyless Entry
Floor Mats
US EPA Label
8 Passenger Seating
Steering Wheel Audio Control
Trailer Hitch
Trailer Plug
2 Captain 2 Bench Seats
HomeLink
Heated Seats
Memory Seat
DVD with Screen
Adjustable Pedals
Navigation System
Parking Distance Control
Pwr Steering
Pwr Seats - Both
A/C
Rear Defrost
Side Air Bags
50 State Emissions
Heated Mirrors
ABS Brakes
Fog Lamps
Rear Air Conditioning
Rear Wiper
Trip Computer
Luggage Rack
On-Board Computer
Satellite Radio - SIRIUS
Security System
Step Bumper
Auxiliary Input
Traction Control
Dual Air Conditioning
Running Boards - Illuminated
Wheels - Aftermarket
Cooled Seats
Power Folding 3rd Row Seats
Woodgrain Interior Package
Turn Signal Mirrors
Directional Stability Control
Rear Radio Controls

TIRES AND WHEELS
Tire Tread Depth Brand Size
Left Front: 9/32" TOYO 305/45R22
Left Rear: 11/32" TOYO 305/45R22
Right Front: 9/32" TOYO 305/45R22
Right Rear: 11/32" TOYO 305/45R22
Spare: 12/32" TOYO
Tire Condition: Good
Wheels

BrianM
08-08-2008, 05:09 PM
Black on black. My favorite color for vehicles.