PDA

View Full Version : RV question for all the gear heads

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 09:21 AM
I know you guys have these for tournaments, hopefully someone has some epierence with this issue. My mom has an RV and is trying to sell it. Unfortunately the battery keeps draining for some reason after a week or two sitting, I have to charge it and try to figure out what is causing the drainage. Past the obvious (lights or fans on) what should I look for. I am no good with an OHM meeter but could try if I need to. Also there is a switch that stays on that lets the steps come out when you open the door. I had assumed that it was not using power unless we opened and closed the door but I am not sure.

Thanks in advance.

JimN
08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Make a list if the accessories in the RV. If anything has a digital display, like a stereo, self-leveling system etc, disconnect it. If you have a multi-meter and know how to use it, check each fuse for current draw. You would do this by removing each fuse and by setting the meter to Current, then putting one probe on each tab of the fuse holder. Any reading that's more than a few mA is a potential cause. If you see nothing drawing current at the fuses, disconnect the wires at the alternator and tape them, to avoid them touching anything. If this solves the problem, the regulator is probably bad (the bridge rectifier is in the regulator) and a rebuild is needed.

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Thanks Jim, had a feeling you would chime in. A big help as always.

magnum
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Ours does the same thing if we don't leave it plugged in and we have found out the gas leakage detector has a draw on the battery and it is usually connected direct to the battery

sixysixss
08-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Like magnum said, there is a propane detector that will constantly draw power. Some can be turned off, but most are always on. Without any charging, this will drain the battery in 1-2 weeks time.

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 11:02 AM
any reason I couldnt throw switch in line for this? something to cut on when traveling and off when storing? I dont want to disconnect it, it seems important.

ski_king
08-06-2008, 11:03 AM
I 3rd the propane detector.

It will drain it much faster than you would think. Also it will start to beep when the battery is getting low.

Also check to see if the fridge is using some power. The circuit to moniter 115VAC swwitch over to gas may be drawing some power, even though you would expect that to be 115 powered.

I don't think I would want to put a switch on mine. Too easy to forget to turn back on.

lanier92prostar
08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Ours does the same thing if we don't leave it plugged in and we have found out the gas leakage detector has a draw on the battery and it is usually connected direct to the battery

Good thing I read the whole thread. The propane detector is what kills my batteries if I forget to turn it off. I also put a quick disconnect on the batteries of my 5th wheel.

Gonzo
08-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Good thing I read the whole thread. The propane detector is what kills my batteries if I forget to turn it off. I also put a quick disconnect on the batteries of my 5th wheel.

now thats an idea, just leave the durn thing unhooked until needed to crank... that solves all problems cheaply.

Thanks all!!

MMCCAR12
08-06-2008, 12:55 PM
Most RV's have a main battery disconnect switch and a aux battery disconnect switch. Always cut power to the cabin when in storage. Cabin power goes to all the stuff in the living area and the main goes to the starter etc. on the drivetrain.

TMCNo1
08-06-2008, 12:58 PM
This master disconnect switch may work, http://www.jegs.com/p/Moroso/745318/10002/-1

My BIL had the same problem with his wife's handicap van that he bought from someone who had remote controls/electronics for them to drive and to operated the doors, and handicap ramp. Being he has and works on race cars and these are required equipment, he got one, installed it under the hood out of immediate sight. He would just unlock the drivers door, pull the hood latch, raise the hood, turn on the switch and the battery was always charged and quit being drawn down.

magnum
08-06-2008, 02:31 PM
an inline switch will work, just think the manufacturers can't do this is because if someone forgets to turn it back on and there is a gas leak, it takes about 2 weeks and my battery is dead if it is not connected to power

Bert
08-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Another item that will drain a battery quickly is the signal booster for the TV antenea. Had that happen in my motorhome before.

flyingskibiker
08-07-2008, 10:11 PM
This is pretty much what I was going to add. Not sure how new a concept it is (when they started doing it). But our '01 had it. You may want to turn off the propane, as well...

Most RV's have a main battery disconnect switch and a aux battery disconnect switch. Always cut power to the cabin when in storage. Cabin power goes to all the stuff in the living area and the main goes to the starter etc. on the drivetrain.

Gonzo
08-07-2008, 10:39 PM
Mom says she thinks she found it above the door. I will check it ou this weekend... You guys are AWESOME!!!!! this board rocks.

JimN
08-07-2008, 10:43 PM
"You guys are AWESOME!!!!! this board rocks."

Maybe, but don't tell anyone- they'll all want to come here.

Mrs. Gonzo
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks all, the kill switches were above the door. couple of hrs on the 40amp charger and we were back in business.

thanks again!

TMCNo1
08-11-2008, 10:59 PM
Thanks all, the kill switches were above the door. couple of hrs on the 40amp charger and we were back in business.

thanks again!

We try to help all we can! How you doing Babydoll!:uglyhamme

Gonzo
08-12-2008, 09:03 AM
Not bad sugar pie :) I didnt know the wifey had logged in last night.

TMCNo1
08-12-2008, 09:09 AM
Not bad sugar pie :) I didnt know the wifey had logged in last night.

I guess we got caught!:rolleyes::uglyhammeWe gotta quit meeting on here like this!