PDA

View Full Version : New perfect pass issue - cuts out

Ben
08-06-2008, 10:09 AM
94 PS 205 LT1 w/Perfect pass 6.somthing - have not made any updates since I got in in '03 or so.

Pulled 3 sets this morning - no issues. Went to pull up set #4 and I buried the throttle, and the boat got to about 2500rpm, then cut back to idle (poor guy @ end of rope). Pulled silver button & tried to rev engine - same thing. It would sort of ramp back up, then go back to idle a few times, or nothing at all. Boat on / off, PP on / off did not help. Boat works fine w/o PP, other than we haven't manually driven for a while.... Cable looks good, servo motor still does the little check routine when boat is turned on. I have not moved the servo motor or anything like that.

Any ideas? All I see on here is mostly "surging" issues, nothing like this. Thanks in advance. I'll be calling PP too.

beef
08-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Did you check engine temp? Could have gone into limp mode if too high.

Check to make sure that the cable at the attachment to the servo is wound up properly. There is a way to put the PP into "Servo test" mode, but I think it's dependent on the version as to how you get there. I would try that to see what it sez.

east tx skier
08-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Have you checked your throttle return spring. Could be that it broke. Perfect pass needs the tension from the spring to hold speed. Port side of the engine on a Chevy (where it is more specifically than that, I haven't a clue).

/edit. Rereading the symptoms, that's probably not it, but probably an easy thing to check nonetheless.

Ben
08-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Temp, oil, charge all ok.

Just talked to PP, will check return spring - hopefully tonight. After talking to PP, seems as if the servo motor may be shot - which will be $120 I was hoping to put in my gas tank rather than on the engine...

Anyone know of someone selling a servo that doesn't need it due to DBW or something like that?

east tx skier
08-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Temp, oil, charge all ok.

Just talked to PP, will check return spring - hopefully tonight. After talking to PP, seems as if the servo motor may be shot - which will be $120 I was hoping to put in my gas tank rather than on the engine...

Anyone know of someone selling a servo that doesn't need it due to DBW or something like that?

Call Mike at MC Charlotte. I've found his deals on PP and its components to be just about the lowest out there.

Ben
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM
Not the return spring, checked last night via PP linkage check printout from the web. They do have great support - on the phone & online.

Also, it ran fine & started up in slalom & speed mode >10 times. I hope this isn't one of those intermittent problems that never happens when you want it to. May need to have a servo motor on call...

pup
08-07-2008, 11:51 PM
Out in my friends Nautique the other day his PP behaved the same way. We found the alternator mounting bolt had lost it's nut & backed out. We robbed a nut from elsewhere & tightened the alternator. Problem solved.
I suspect the alternator had a poor ground & that somehow interfered with the PP. I'd check connections .