PDA

View Full Version : help with toeside progressive edge

brucemac
08-05-2008, 05:16 PM
got a few good sets in last weekend on vacation. progressed a bit.

what i'm wondering is if any of you can help me with my toeside edging

i think maybe i may need to move/adjust my bindings/stance and/or position on the board.

i can edge fairly well, but seem to really have a tough time grabbing the toeside edge to cut out starboard side of the boat. of course, heelside no problems, i'm good. as well as cutting back from heelside to toeside and hitting the wake. it's the starboard side of the wake that seems to be way more effort.

what i'm struggling with is getting enough toeside edge to cut out the same distance as i can heelside. i seem to have to work 3 times as hard to make the same cut.

does that make sense?

my buddy is just the opposite, he can cut out starboard side no problem, yet we're both left foot forward natural.

any suggestions?

should i try moving the bindings a little closer to the toeside edge?

currently, my bindings are set just a little wider than a natural stance (or little wider than sholders) with each plate pointed slightly outward. and the plates are mounted pretty much in the middle of the board toe-to-heel.

any tips or suggestions would be great as i'd really like to hit that wake hard and solid heelside as easily as the other way around.

coz
08-05-2008, 06:22 PM
got a few good sets in last weekend on vacation. progressed a bit.

what i'm wondering is if any of you can help me with my toeside edging

i think maybe i may need to move/adjust my bindings/stance and/or position on the board.

i can edge fairly well, but seem to really have a tough time grabbing the toeside edge to cut out starboard side of the boat. of course, heelside no problems, i'm good. as well as cutting back from heelside to toeside and hitting the wake. it's the starboard side of the wake that seems to be way more effort.

what i'm struggling with is getting enough toeside edge to cut out the same distance as i can heelside. i seem to have to work 3 times as hard to make the same cut.

does that make sense?

my buddy is just the opposite, he can cut out starboard side no problem, yet we're both left foot forward natural.

any suggestions?

should i try moving the bindings a little closer to the toeside edge?

currently, my bindings are set just a little wider than a natural stance (or little wider than sholders) with each plate pointed slightly outward. and the plates are mounted pretty much in the middle of the board toe-to-heel.

any tips or suggestions would be great as i'd really like to hit that wake hard and solid heelside as easily as the other way around.

Get that handle low and against your waist and lean :D

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_VMw9ZXS3vAI/SHhg_R9CUFI/AAAAAAAAA6M/Vx9sTDDi5PM/P1020832.JPG

brucemac
08-05-2008, 07:24 PM
i swear i'm going to face plant

my buddy doesn't have to lean nearly as far as i do and he makes it look effortless and is easily edging way out

i'm leaning way farther and traveling very slowly and not as far

19-20MPH

MCDriven
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Your face shouldn't be any where near the water as you should be twisted at the waist with your back straight and chest and shoulders pointed towards the sky. Lean down the rope with the handle low and at your waist as suggested above.

A great way to get your TS edge down is to slow the boat down, start from the inside of the starboard wake, cut HS towards the port wake and then cut hard TS to blow your fins out and boardslide backwards. Once you can do that, take it outside the starboard wake and do the same thing as you cut back to the wake and then boardslide out. Start with one hand on the rope and progress to two. When you can do it consistently with 2 hands out side the wake, you will have a strong TS edge.

brucemac
08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Your face shouldn't be any where near the water as you should be twisted at the waist with your back straight and chest and shoulders pointed towards the sky. Lean down the rope with the handle low and at your waist as suggested above.

thanks for the reply, but how can i be leaning towards the rope but still have my chest and shoulders pointed towards the sky?

91ps190
08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
THERE's a great instructional video you tube for TS edging

brucemac
08-05-2008, 09:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAheageD9c

that one?

that tip about holding your boardshorts with one hand looks helpful, i'll try that one, thanks!!!

coz
08-05-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqAheageD9c

that one?

that tip about holding your boardshorts with one hand looks helpful, i'll try that one, thanks!!!

That's a good one :D

brucemac
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah, i am doing it all wrong :)

coz
08-05-2008, 10:22 PM
yeah, i am doing it all wrong :)

Don't worry we all do it wrong until we watch someone who knows how to do it right :D

Start posting them pics :banana:

MCDriven
08-06-2008, 10:18 AM
The holding your boardshorts tip is up there with the squeeze your butt cheeks on a TS jump tip on the Zane Schwenk instructional video. Weird but they work.

You're leaning down (or away) from the rope as you saw on the video. The key is the "twisted" position - the fun part is holding it when you jump the wake. Good luck with it brucemac.

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 10:42 AM
one thing that can never hurt you is SLASHING... take as hard and as deep cuts toward and away from the wake as you can... try to get more and more aggressive with your cuts as you go (all the while shortening the length of your cuts)... i usually always will hit the start-up roller and do this switch so that i can improve my switch riding... and it has greatly... do it on both sides of the wake... really makes you find your edges and you learn to control and the more aggressive and quicker you can transfer the better rider you'll become... this will also let you know if you've got the right board setup...

that's one thing i'm curious about... what is your setup?... the wrong size board can make it nearly impossible to get a good edge... sounds like you could bump the speed up a bit to me if you can't get a hard pull and coast a good ways out... start your edge either at the trough of the wake or going down the wake w/ an aggressive TS cut and you should be able to come off the edge as you get farther outside and still hold nearly the same speed as in the beginning...

if you really want to learn how to edge... go buy a hyperlite roam or a ronix covenant (they're flex boards... basically a novelty board... no fins or channels on the bottom... look just like a snowboard w/ wake bindings on them)... you can get them on closeout for around $150... they're a AWESOME tool to have in your possession... #1 you HAVE to edge on them correctly... if not you'll be on your tail... #2 they're great to rehab on... just to get out there and play on after an injury (like me right now w/ my left ankle the size of a softball... rode yesterday which turned out to be a mistake but didn't leave the water and just sawed on my edges for about 10 mins... i was completely gassed)... #3 best tool i've ever seen for someone learning to ride switch... put 'em on it for about two weeks and ride nothing but switch... even if they've never ridden switch two weeks on that thing working on nothing but carving and carving switch they'll be riding switch better than regular

djhuff
08-06-2008, 11:35 AM
One thing that helped me out immensly was to think about my handle position. i was so worried about cutting through the wake and standing tall, that I ignored my handle position. If you hold the handle in front of your hips, as you get closer to the wake, it will pull your shoulders back toward the boat, which will cause you to come off of your edge. I started letting the handle more behind me, getting all the way around my hip, which allowed my hips to stay closed and on the edge.

endl
08-06-2008, 11:48 AM
"The book" instructional video is great learning video with very good video instruction. Well worth the money.

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 12:25 PM
"The book" instructional video is great learning video with very good video instruction. Well worth the money.

VERY true... but still post questions here as some of us need something to get us away from the monotony of the "real world"

lassy
08-06-2008, 01:01 PM
remember to LOOK to where you want to go. this helps beginners from what i've seen. often times i'm teaching someone and they're too busy watching us in the boat and not looking where they're going. so edge out on your toes, kick that back foot around, handle in the left back pocket of your shorts, chin up, and look to where you want to go.

brucemac
08-06-2008, 02:10 PM
thanks guys. yeah, i've got disc 1 of the book. watched it a few times. i need someone to video record me, that would help too. and wakex2wake, yeah, i've been working on cutting fast ts/hs back and forth. i can do that pretty good as long as i'm in the trough or close to the wakes, i was just having a difficult time getting the leverage to cut wide ts without a lot of effort. after watching that youtube video it's obvious, my body position is/was not right at all. i was twisted at the waist okay, but my upper body and handle position are/were not right. can't wait to get back out there. :) thanks again guys!

i'm also going to try and kick out the back of the board as well, i think that will help and also give me a little more confidence and control as i master that.

oh, and the board is a Hyperlite State 145 and i'm just under 6ft 220lbs

wakeX2wake
08-06-2008, 02:32 PM
good deal on the board setup...

remember to keep your front elbow at a 90 and keep that elbow stuck to your lower back when coming in or cutting out... i like to see how close i can get to touching my chest to the water cutting out TS

brucemac
08-15-2008, 01:40 PM
okay, so i'm a little frustrated. went out and had 3 sets yesterday. beautiful day. at any rate, i'm still having a tough time with this.

what's really odd is that i can cut back in TS from a HS cut on the port side fine, but if i'm centered behind the boat and try to initiate a TS cut to the starboard side, i have problems.

when i try to put my left hand down and grab my board shorts (as described in that youtube video), the front of the board immediately wants to turn left/port-side. i'm unable to maintain this position or grab the TS edge to cut out. it's the weirdest thing. i'm really wondering if maybe i've either got my board setup backwards (the HL State is not symetrical) or if i should try and adjust my binding positions.

like i said, if i cut out HS to the port side and cut back in and attack the wake, i'm good. i can do that. but as soon as i cross the other side to the starboard, it's very difficult for me to cut out very far and my body position i know is not right. i'm having a very difficult time getting the leverage to cut out very far.

any ideas? again, when i try the left hand down at my side, i lose control and the nose of the board wants to turn left/port-side. i'm not in the greatest shape, but i'm no wus either and i've got plenty of upper body strength. i just don't get it. we're going back out tomorrow, so if anybody has any tips, would greatly appreciate it.

i think i'm going to take a closer look at my binding setup tonight.

MCDriven
08-15-2008, 03:59 PM
It's harder to do starboard side than port for a regular (left foot forward) rider because the upper body twist is further (almost behind you) when you're cutting out away from the wake starboard side. My main tip would be to keep practicing - sounds like you're starting to get it and just need more work. Another tip is to press down on your toes to get that TS edge, especially with the back foot.

Two other tips (both stolen from The Book): Don't worry about jumping at the wake. Learn your edge by starting from the port side and cut all the way across to the starboard side. As you hit the wakes, let your knees bounce up to absorb the wakes. This should give you some momentum to keep your edge through to the starboard side and will develop good habits for the future (as the key to landing TS jumps is to land on the same or an even more agressive TS edge than you took off on).

Second, slow the boat down and try some backside boardslides in the middle of the wake. You do this by cutting HS from starboard side, cutting TS quickly at the port wake to blow the fins out and letting go with back hand You will really be on your TS edge when you do this - no help from the fins!

Final tip: By the Book (or at least the Building a Foundation DVD). That and practice will get you there. It sounds like you're on the way - this stuff is just harder than it looks when you see someone who knows what they're doing doing it.

Happy riding!

vision
08-15-2008, 04:02 PM
I am novice so take this advice with a grain of salt. But this helped me get better at switched and toe side.

I would suggest you to set your bindings wide, make sure the left and right foot are identical in angle and position, and angle out or "duck" your bindings a minimum of 12 degrees.

wakeX2wake
08-15-2008, 04:22 PM
I am novice so take this advice with a grain of salt. But this helped me get better at switched and toe side.

I would suggest you to set your bindings wide, make sure the left and right foot are identical in angle and position, and angle out or "duck" your bindings a minimum of 12 degrees.

definitely want to have your boots ducked... i know it isn't the same for everybody but i always start out w/ my setup "ducked" (or turned) out as far as possible... then i work on it until i get it comfy... currently i have my front foot ducked all the way on the outside hole and one in on the inside and my back one hole in from all the way out inside and out on my back foot... from all the way out and ducked... if your ankle hurts when you land... duck in... if your knee hurts when you land move the boot in one...

when you're cutting in at the wake... maybe no one has shown you this but... when you cut out... get as far out as you want to be to hit the wake... then chill for a second to let the boat catch up... you have to remember when you cut out aggressively you're going faster than your boat and when you change directions to hit the wake your speed has to be less than the boat's... make sense... if not just when you get out to where you want to be chill for a second w/o cutting and then hit it... you'll feel the tension come back in the line and you're ready to cut at the wake... i may be COMPLETELY OFF here in answering what you asked but... either way it won't hurt to put this into practice for anyone who didn't know... like it was told to me... "you're not making a dayem solemn cut at the wake... chill... it's wakeboarding... the only balls in this are the ones God gave you"

brucemac
08-15-2008, 04:34 PM
thanks guys. i'll keep at it.

wakeX2wake
08-15-2008, 04:36 PM
don't give up... don't EVER give up...

and i don't mean to post here like i'm the next pro or anything close to that matter... i just find it hard to not help somebody out when i've had to figure the same thing out the hard way... i can get you in touch w/ a guy who KNOWS http://www.ridethespot.net... i'm just a dude that's done it and figured it out the hard way

and that is NOT a BU plug but i've got a friend who's been hangin out w/ him for the past few summers and he's an absolutely cool a$$ guy... expensive but cool

mccobmd
08-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Something to try toeside and heel side similar to what wakeX2wake is saying I did tonight, I went out only 8 to 10 feet on both sides, this forced me to edge and allowed me to keep the edge without being afraid of the speed. Being one of those 40somethings with only one intact ACL I want to go high and slower at first. I found I was going higher with better technique on both sides because I could focus on my edge and standing tall without worrying about the speed. I made it 3/4 of the way across the wake while traveling half the linear distance and could really "feel" the pop and position. I this case less was more.