PDA

View Full Version : engine running on trailer !!!

zxmarc
08-04-2008, 07:12 PM
so it was raining and we were in a rush to get the boat on the trailer.... Got it up, got out, attached the trailer crank to the boat.... got in the truck and pulled out of the water....... girfriend screams ' engine is running' so i fugure about 30 seconds the time the engine ran without water. Haven't put it back in the water yet but was making a funny noise when i shut it off, maybe the water pump?

So did i damage anything? can't get the boat in water before thursday, would like to have a few opinions...

thanks Guys

Roonie's
08-04-2008, 07:15 PM
more than likely your impellar is shot. For sure open it up and look at it and count on replacing it. That is about it. Also check the raw water stariner for impellar pieces that broke off and got flung in there.

zxmarc
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
great... so where would that be? is there a shop manual i can get for this boat.. btw it's a 2006 X-15 with 15 hours on it

1boarder
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I would guess no damage besides maybee a $30 impeller. I would change it reguardless for peace of mind and to prevent it falling apart and pieces going everywhere.

CantRepeat
08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
The impeller should be located on the end of the crankshart pulley. There are 4 screws that hold the cover on. It's contained in a little round housing.

What year and model boat is this? I could be giving you bad poop.

1boarder
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
do a search and there are plenty of diy threads on changing an impeller. If not I can go take a picture of the where the pump is. Follow the water intake where it goes right infront of the serpentene belt. It sticks out away from the belt.

Roonie's
08-04-2008, 07:21 PM
The impellar is located on the back of the engine. You will see a black hose going to it and away from it. Four screws on the cover and out comes impellaer. However some are harder to get out then others. Use paint can openers on each side and it should pop out. Get new one and put it in and put new gasket on and call it good. Follow the hose coming off the impeller and you will find the raw water stariner or a long metal tube. Unclamp hose at bottom and feel around for pieces of rubber.

zxmarc
08-04-2008, 07:23 PM
ok great... sound's simple, thanks a lot... i'll take a pic and post it to let you see the condition of the impeller

Andyg
08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
I highly doubt with it running for 30 seconds after coming out of the lake that the impeller has any damage at all. As a safety measure you can replace it. I have run my other boats, 97 PS190, 03 PS197, 07 PS197 for 30 seconds without water and never failed an impeller.

1boarder
08-04-2008, 07:26 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22478&highlight=impeller+replacement

here is a good thread with some pics

Cloaked
08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
so it was raining and we were in a rush to get the boat on the trailer.... Got it up, got out, attached the trailer crank to the boat.... got in the truck and pulled out of the water....... girfriend screams ' engine is running' so i fugure about 30 seconds the time the engine ran without water. Haven't put it back in the water yet but was making a funny noise when i shut it off, maybe the water pump?

So did i damage anything? can't get the boat in water before thursday, would like to have a few opinions...

thanks Guys
I seriously doubt it's damaged. I've run them intentionally on the trailer off-and-on, for one reason or another. Thirty seconds has never "destroyed" an impeller for me. Just sayin'... don't assume the worst. Just fire it back up with a water source and watch the temp gauge.

Or prior to dropping it back in the water you can pull the cover and look at the impeller.

Worse case (unless it's an odd-ball situation) is a new impeller. No big deal.

TMCNo1
08-04-2008, 08:40 PM
great... so where would that be? is there a shop manual i can get for this boat.. btw it's a 2006 X-15 with 15 hours on it

This is what it should resemble and the impeller is behind the brass plate held on by the 4 screws. A MC dealer or here, http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=RP061018 will have them for the Johnson 812 pump.

cbryan70
08-04-2008, 09:12 PM
I dunno if the impeller is even shot......after running water on the hose i forgot to attatch the water intake on my boat noticed the boat motor get to about 180 and killed it as that was hot for my motor. Ran it like that without water going through the impeller for about 3 min or so and some at higher RPM's......ripped the impeller out and to my surprise it was fine....i was shocked.

JohnE
08-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Skidog took his boat for a dry run last month. He might have some input.:D

I'm betting no harm done.

c_craig
08-04-2008, 10:12 PM
'06 with 15 hours? What, do you have a job or something?:D

djhuff
08-05-2008, 08:08 AM
'06 with 15 hours? What, do you have a job or something?:D

Seriously, my '06 is at 280, and that's only because I have found some great other guys that I am riding with that have boats, so we alternate between 4 different boats.

denverd1
08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
likely no damage. pry not even the impeller, but check it for sure.

zxmarc
08-05-2008, 08:43 PM
took the impeller cover off and checked with a mirror... looked ok, tried the boat and hose had pressure so i guess everything is ok. I did notice the bolts on the cover were hand tight at best... i put about 30 lbs/in on them when retorquing them, wonder if any other bolts need to be looked at?

thanks to everyone for replying

Chicago190
08-06-2008, 03:01 PM
took the impeller cover off and checked with a mirror... looked ok, tried the boat and hose had pressure so i guess everything is ok. I did notice the bolts on the cover were hand tight at best... i put about 30 lbs/in on them when retorquing them, wonder if any other bolts need to be looked at?

thanks to everyone for replying

I wouldn't torque those bolts that tight, I believe they strip very easily. The gasket should provide a good seal without the bolts being torqued much.