PDA

View Full Version : Which barefoot boom?

aprgriggs
04-25-2005, 02:51 PM
I am going to get a barefoot boom for my X9. Which one is the best and how easy are the to take down?

Help please.

MarkP
04-25-2005, 03:02 PM
I hear a lot of good things about the tower boom

aprgriggs
04-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I hear a lot of good things about the tower boom

tower boom???

brand name or does it come off of the tower?

Laurel_Lake_Skier
04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
I've got a Barefoot International boom and like it. It is heavier than some of the others friends have and that makes for more of an effort getting it on and off. It is however pretty solid when in use. I think the tower model mentioned is also a Barefoot Internatioal product.....have never used one of those so I'm sorry I can't give you any feed back on them.

G-man
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Barefoot International is the way to go. They also make a tower boom but I wouldn't do it. Many of your local dealers should be able to help you out.

DanC
04-25-2005, 03:48 PM
tower boom???

brand name or does it come off of the tower?

Barefoot International, check their web site.
Several people on this forum have them, hope they chime in.

Most like them but complain about the increased difficulty in setup and removal.

I will be getting the pylon mount. Quick height adjustment and don't have to get in the water to put it on. I am also leery (as someone on this site pointed out to me) of the increased torque on the tower. Gel coat cracking is always a concern with towers.

MarkP
04-25-2005, 04:00 PM
Bi has some good info on its site. http://www.barefootinternational.com/ You can also call them for additional information (# on the site) and they will tell you exactly what booms they make to fit your boat.

I have a BI universal contour boom. I havenít used it yet but it feels solid

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 04:04 PM
I would go off the pylon if at all possible. Off the tower seems like it will flex the tower to much.

aprgriggs
04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
ok, looked at the BI site....great information. Definately going to get there boom.

i believe there is enough room between the windshield and the tower so I can run the pylon version. For those of you with 209 which pylon version are running?

aprgriggs
04-25-2005, 04:34 PM
another question?

Does the boom have any flex? If so will it hit the driver seat, windshield or tower?

thanks

tex
04-25-2005, 04:38 PM
another question?

Does the boom have any flex? If so will it hit the driver seat, windshield or tower?

thanks
Go with pylon mounted. They are alot more sturdy. As with anything else, once you get used to putting it out, no big deal. I also would opt for the gunnell protector and the extension. I have both the regular ext. and the one that makes the grip smaller for kids!

CoFooter
04-25-2005, 06:32 PM
Another vote for B.I. I have the contour. Pain in the A$$ to put on from inside the boat when it is the water due to the weight of the extension, but very sturdy. Of course this is not an issue if you put it on at the dock, shore, trailer, etc. Pylon mount. He has a height adjuster attachemnt too if you are going to use it for multiple things and want to vary the height easily (kids in swing, back deep, etc.) You may want to look at that. Call Mike Seipel at B.I. Sometimes they have refurbs/returns for sale. Either way, you'll pay the price for a quality product.

whitedog
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
April, BI boom is the only way to go. Your boat will need a contour boom. Also get the optional height adjuster. This is the sturdiest boom on the market. Flex should not cause a problem with the seat or tower mounts. Call Mike at BI and ask to be sure. We have one and it is the best boom I have used.

rodltg2
04-25-2005, 07:24 PM
another question?

thanks
drivers seat? the boom goes on the other side.

erkoehler
04-25-2005, 08:50 PM
:eek: If it hits the drivers seat you have got a BIG problem!

NatesGr8
04-25-2005, 09:08 PM
Just another advocate of BI here. It does have some flex, but nothing too significant, or that the cables from the bow eyelet don't solve. And once you put the boom in and out a few times it gets much easier. I was thinking of getting rid of mine, but watching people learn to barefoot is way too much fun.

DanC
04-25-2005, 09:25 PM
:eek: If it hits the drivers seat you have got a BIG problem!

Some folks will put the boom out the driver's side, such as when the driver is the main instructor. Inconvenient for mainstream barefooting, climbing in and out..... and weight distribution.

aprgriggs
04-26-2005, 12:24 AM
Some folks will put the boom out the driver's side, such as when the driver is the main instructor. Inconvenient for mainstream barefooting, climbing in and out..... and weight distribution.

I was thinking that with a small child the boom would be better off the driver side... I didn't want to take the risk of her hitting her head.

those of you with kids...have you had any problems with this???

sizzler
04-26-2005, 04:41 AM
ive had the pylon boom and the tower boom on my X9 April.....they both work well ,,but aesthetically looking i prefer the tower boom...it looks class..espesshh on your blinged out one....... :dance:

having the tower boom means never bumping your shins/knees on the boom in the boat....also frees up more room.....

i must say however,that it is solid on my 2004,but a pal of mine has a 2005 X7 and his tower seems to have more laterall "play" on it...
i dont know if anyone else has found this out????

Jorski
04-26-2005, 09:40 AM
I was thinking that with a small child the boom would be better off the driver side... I didn't want to take the risk of her hitting her head.

I have a boom that I run out of the passenger side and I used this to teach my daughter to ski last summer...(she is now a confirmed slalom skier).

You can see the child quite well on the passenger side (if you are short just kneel..or if you have one of those fancy flip-up bolsters use that).

The only way that anyone could get hit on the head is if a big rogue wave/wake suddenly came along. I generally don't take the kids skiing when it is rough out. I just wait to approach if there is wake activity...but, no matter what side the boom was on, all you would have to do is move the boat (with just a nudge on the throttle) to push or pull the boom away. It doesn't take much as inboards want rotate and the lenght of the boom turns a small movement of the boat into a large movement at the end of the boom. :D

aprgriggs
04-26-2005, 10:17 AM
ive had the pylon boom and the tower boom on my X9 April.....they both work well ,,but aesthetically looking i prefer the tower boom...it looks class..espesshh on your blinged out one....... :dance:

having the tower boom means never bumping your shins/knees on the boom in the boat....also frees up more room.....

i must say however,that it is solid on my 2004,but a pal of mine has a 2005 X7 and his tower seems to have more laterall "play" on it...
i dont know if anyone else has found this out????

How long have you had the tower boom and have you noticed any stress cracking on the gel coat of the boat from the tower?

I was worried about the weight....I already have 4 tower speakers and a light bar on my tower.

Rockman
04-26-2005, 11:18 AM
drivers seat? the boom goes on the other side.

We actually have our boom set up on the driver's side for many reasons.

The first is that our lake is a huge circle and all boats need to go counter clockwise. Having the boom on the passenger side would not be good. Also, it allows for more room in the boat for people to walk around. Lastly, it allows for better communication between the footer(s) and the driver.

We do switch it to the other side when we go to other lakes or the river or if we have 2 booms going.

Just my :twocents:

sizzler
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
april......its been on since the summer of last year.......used every time i go out...no cracks in the gelcoat,but as i said b4 my friends 05 tower seems to move side-to-side more than mine......the 05 tower has a greater dia. but does not seem as sturdy :twocents:

sizzler
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
ps.....i only have 2 speakers on mine......(saving up,,they are £1000 the pair over here....ouch)

DanC
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM

Bonking the kid in the head is something you have to watch out for. It is more a function of waves bouncing the boat around, people unexpectedly moving around in the boat and shifting the weight and your driving.

aprgriggs
04-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Called BI and they are great help. Even told me how to use the boom and where to buy one locally. They said that I need a B202 Universal contour boom....can anybody tell if this boom on ebay is a B202 model or a B204 quad contour boom?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7152494397&category=23808

jimmer2880
04-27-2005, 12:29 PM
I dont' know - but I have that model in my PS190. It's awsome! What's great is how the whole is drilled from both sides - so it's easy to mount the boom on either side of the boat.

mark g
04-27-2005, 06:10 PM
thats the same as one i purchased

BuoyChaser
05-01-2006, 12:33 PM
are the 2000 Flite Pipe Extended Pylon that is interchangeable with a Boom still around???

xldawgy
12-30-2007, 09:38 PM
have you seen these articles about contour booms (http://www.bare-foot-boom.com) and tower booms at http://www.bare-foot-boom.com/

BrandonKTM
01-19-2008, 05:00 PM
As for kids, I have had a boom on my 84 S & S for 20 years! Only once in that time and literally teaching dozens of kids and adults has anybody got hit on the head. Boat stationary, person in water not holding onto boom, and large waves hit. Even then, my boom can pivot up so no big deal. It cost me $350 20 years ago and the best $ I ever spent. Two hints 1) NEVER let go of wheel 2)Start close to boat and move out on boom when up