PDA

View Full Version : Engine sputtering towards end of day...

Ski-me
08-04-2008, 02:31 PM
I went out this weekend pulling all kinds of High School students from our church and had a blast! As we approached the end of the day (and fuel) I had the engine sputter a few times at full throttle. I noticed it mainly while pulling tubers…..and the lake was VERY rough!

When I check the fuel level, it was around 1/3 of a tank. Once I filled the tank back up, I never noticed it again. I am guessing that with the lower fuel level in the tank and moving the boat left and right abruptly for the tubers, that the fuel pickup got a few air pockets in it with the gas sloshing around. Does this sound reasonable or would there be some other cause to look at?

Strangely, I felt this same sputter while up in Idaho as well (1/4 tank left) and once I filled the tank back up, it never happened again…..and we were boating pretty solid for another week (watching my fuel level more closely).

94’ 205 LT1

mrprostar
08-04-2008, 03:33 PM
Sounds very likely to me. Perhaps your pickup isn't deep enough.

Ski-me
08-04-2008, 03:44 PM

That's what I'm hoping. My guage isn't very accurate so I checked the tank both times visually.

ShamrockIV
08-04-2008, 03:47 PM

story of my life????? :(

really though it sounds like ur gauge is off. be carefull fuel pumps are expensive!!

FlatBoard
08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
story of my life????? :(

really though it sounds like ur gauge is off. be carefull fuel pumps are expensive!!

$400.00 + or -. Many threads posted on low fuel tank levels and fuel pump malfunctions.

jimmer2880
08-05-2008, 06:08 PM
When you filled it back up, how many gallons did you put in? I'm of the "your guage is off" opinion.