PDA

View Full Version : To bar or not to bar... that's my question (trailer bow)

Bellinghamster
08-04-2008, 11:37 AM
I'm trolling for comments/experience on the bow bar system.

I've started my trailer before we head out for a week vacation over the mountains (to Easter Washington, where it's ACTUALLY summer). I've removed the old bow plank and fabricated a V support like the newer trailers.

I'd conceptualized my own compression/tension hinged bow bar system prior to realizing that MC used a similar method between the Plank and Boat Buddy eras. After reading up on it here and finding many complaints about the bar system, I'm on the fence whether I should spend the time fabricating and tweaking it, or if I'll be forever frustrated as well.

The right answer seems to be to do a Boat Buddy, but there are a couple roadblocks - I need to tow this next weekend, and nobody locally has them, and probably more importantly, the entire bow of my '78 S&S is filled with foam right up to the deck, so no access to the bow eye to replace it with a longer one unless I suddenly get in the mood to start tunneling (very unlikely) or to lift the deck (even more unlikely right now). If I go boat-buddy style, I'll probably fabricate one from scratch to work with the existing bow eye and still allow me to get a chain hook in there... but, pressed for time.

So, back to the bar idea - what is it about the bar that you don't like, and is there any way (if starting from scratch) that it could be improved?

ShamrockIV
08-04-2008, 11:40 AM
man i would carpet that bad boy and be done with it!!! looks good.

i would either fabricate a place to mount a winch or use the ratchet straps that mount to the trailer like these

http://www.trailerandtruckparts.com/Pair-SS-Retractable-Tie-Downs_p_33-119.html

TMCNo1
08-04-2008, 01:06 PM
Getting it done that fast may be a stretch!
The boat Buddy is the way to go, cause you can overshoot it and eat up the trailer and prop and it's a real PITA if you don't get the boweye over the bow slot just right.

Here are some links to do it, and some parts sources from the General Discussion FAQ section,
-- http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=112627&postcount=17
-- http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=425858&postcount=48
-- http://kodiaktrailer.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=5eef2b6660e36e08707cb7d7cde13b9f

This is what it should look like, and using the dimensions for the '87 to '89, should get you very close and be sure the yoke for the Boat Buddy is at least 6" deep,

Jimmauburn
08-27-2008, 09:48 PM
Harold I am so very glad to see this post for getting rid of the standard hinged bar system that got me in a little trouble this weekend.... my other boat trailers were on a private lake so I was on the same old boat ramp all the time but this past weekend I was on a ramp that had almost no slope to it and I had a time getting the trailer deep enough to get the boat on it so I could get the trailer hinge bar on to secure it to the trailer... I WILL BE ADAPTING TO A SYSTEM LIKE YOURS !!!!! Thank you for this info..... Jimmy

Cloaked
08-27-2008, 09:58 PM
Harold I am so very glad to see this post for getting rid of the standard hinged bar system that got me in a little trouble this weekend.... my other boat trailers were on a private lake so I was on the same old boat ramp all the time but this past weekend I was on a ramp that had almost no slope to it and I had a time getting the trailer deep enough to get the boat on it so I could get the trailer hinge bar on to secure it to the trailer... I WILL BE ADAPTING TO A SYSTEM LIKE YOURS !!!!! Thank you for this info..... Jimmy

Oddly enough, the bar was not the problem. It's a crappy ramp and your choice. If you have never had a boat come through the rear of your tow vehicle (boat buddy dangling) you'll never truly appreciate the "standard hinged bar." However, it's each to their own. :)

TMCNo1
08-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Anytime Jimmy, just hollar if I can help with anything.

dapicatti
08-28-2008, 01:12 AM
No advice here, but be warned its only going to be about 81 over here. It's starting to show signs of fall already and I am not happy. Trees are starting to turn, and weather is cooler.
Have a great time and I hope your trailer works out well for you.